Good Day! We literally just returned from our 7 day stay in Kona. We stayed all nights at King Kam and it was a great experience. I will first give all the pluses and then list a few things that Mariott can improve to make this a 5 star Trip Advisor Hotel ranking.
Location, location, location!. Basically until you arrive at this hotel you will not understand this. It is on the corner of Palini road and at the starting of the board walk for downtown Kona. The hotel has the prime location on the corner nestled away but literally 100 feet from everything. Its a visual extravaganza when you arrive. Hard to imagine a hotel can be so private and yet so close. Enough on this you will not be disappointed.
The small lagon in the front of the hotel is great for getting your feet wet and getting the snorkelling skills down before you venture into the ocean or another beach . Amazingly we saw a ton of fish in this little area and my kids snorkelled for hours here when we had downtime.
The Laua is on the property very Tue, Thur, Sun and it fills up fast. For sure get the preferred seating. Its worth the extra cost to get seated near the stage as well as eating 30 minutes or more before the normal seated guests. The dancers are great and food was good. They roast a real pig like old times.
The parking is private if you have rental car and lots of spaces but they do charge a fee daily but not that much. Its worth it to have the parking on site and so convient.
They have a tennis pro shop and brand new tennis courts which we used and has light courts also.
The pool is really just a standard pool and the hot tub area is very small. We did not swim in the pool nor use the hot tube. But the pool was never crowded as Im sure most guests go to the beaches. Your in Kona so swim in the ocean. But the pool for small kids and people who dont want to go in the ocean-eldery perhaps etc might be a little disappointed. I think the pool area needs to be a expanded and they have the space in the front to do it in my opinion.
The ABC store in the hotel that goes out to the boardwalk area is handy and lots of great restaurants nearby. Mariott was very smart in purchasing this location!
Ok so a few things to consider for Mariott. There are no Microwaves in the rooms? Or atleast in the West Tower where we stayed. I travle often and I do not understand why the rooms dont have a microwave. We use it to heat up hot water for tea at night and my kids like burritos to heat up when hungry. I can also imagine families with small babies that use for heating up food or formula etc. Perhaps Mariott can indicate why no microwaves. My daughter realized the bathroom doors -atleast in our room(2 queens) has only a sliding type door that does not lock. Well with families and siblings many people want to lock the door when using the facilities. A few times my son accidently opened the door on my 13 yo daughter and they were not happy campers when that happenend. Again Mariott needs to correct this and place some type of locking system on the doors that enter the bathrooms witht the doors on the sliders as in our room. There is also no room service at all on the property. Let me explain why this was very very inconvient .
Most of the tours for helicopters and snorkelling etc leave typically around 7am -some earlier and some little later. But overall you will have to also drive to the locations to start the different tours. We needed to eat early early breakfeasts and the earliest that the buffett breakfeast opens is 6am. So we had to a few times be waiting to eat when they open the doors at 6am and gulp our food down then quickly leave and drive to our designiated tour pick up site. Really with kids this was a challenge. Again no microwave in the room to heat any breakfeast food-so little or no options to eat in the room unless you want to eat all cold foods. And my kids didnt like that idea. So definitely a hotel this size needs 24/7 room service.
The beds are really really comfortable and pillows also. They gave ample pillows .
All in All this hotel is really rated a 5 and I would definitely stay here again. People and everyone in the hotel was friendly and helpful!
Enjoy King Kama.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel and restaurants newly renovated in 2011. All 452 rooms have been upgraded which feature complimentary high speed Internet access, private balconies, mini refrigerator, coffee maker with complimentary Kona Coffee, 37' color flat screen television and complimentary in-room safe. You’ll experience a brand new hotel from the moment you step into the new lobby. You’ll also find completely renovated corridors, business center, meeting rooms, outdoor swimming pool and whirlpool and a 24-hour complimentary guest fitness center. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Marriott, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Courtyard King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel King Kamehamehas Kona Beach
- Hawaii King Kamehamehas Kona Beach Hotel
- Courtyard King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel Hawaii/Kailua-Kona