A few months prior to our May arrival, we requested a west wing 6th floor corner room which they noted in our reservation. When checking in, they had no note of our request (although I called twice to confirm) and they proceeded to give us a 2nd floor "ocean view" that was actually a view of a roof and you couldn't even see the ocean. They said they had no rooms on the 5th or 6th floor available. Noting our disappointment (because we were staying 14 days), once in our room, the phone rang (which I could barely hear as my husband was loudly saying "this room sucks" as he was checking our our view). The front deck had checked with the hotel manager and they offered to upgrade us to a east wing 6th floor corner SUITE!!! Awesome suite with two large rooms, king bed, two flat screen tv's, two full bathrooms, three closets (one walk-in), two dressers, safe, two decks that overlooked the dock (that had lots of activities), beach and pool.
This room became our home for two weeks and we thoroughly enjoyed it.
Either bring lawn chairs or rent from Kona Boys (shack on the beach) and expect a pool full of kids with minimal seating unless you come early. We found the lawn area in front of the restaurant a great location to relax, then walk to the pool or ocean for swimming. Suprisingly, there are lots of fish in the water, even with all the activity at the dock and beach.
Grocery shopping at the ABC stores were reasonable. Wine and vodka was cheaper in Hawaii than Oregon!! Walmart and Safeway was 5 minutes away.
Quinn's Almost By The Bay was recommended by locals and directly across the street from the hotel. Good food and inexpensive.
Kona Brewing had great beer, ok wine selection and great food.
Kona Inn Restaurant was one of our favorites for dinner and appetizers. They have two menus, one more expensive so depending on your mood and budget, you have options.
Jackie Rey's Ohana Grill was very nice and a $10 cab ride or 20 minute walk (stop for mai tai along the way)
Kenichi Pacific served awsome sushi and was our favorite restaurants. In a shopping center with no view but meal was delicious.
AWFUL restaurants: Bubba Gumps Shrimp Company, Kona Canoe Club, Pancho & Leftys Cantina
Scuba Diving: we highly recommend Kona Diving Company!!! Jeff and Dave are very knowledgeable and chose the dive spots each day depending on the weather and currents. They took time to explain each spot before we dove along with what fish we would see. My husband dove three days and I dove twice (two tank dives).
Snorkeling: Place of Refuge - snorkeled with 8 spinner dolphins but kept our distance! Highlight of our trip and it was free!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel and restaurants newly renovated in 2011. All 452 rooms have been upgraded which feature complimentary high speed Internet access, private balconies, mini refrigerator, coffee maker with complimentary Kona Coffee, 37' color flat screen television and complimentary in-room safe. You’ll experience a brand new hotel from the moment you step into the new lobby. You’ll also find completely renovated corridors, business center, meeting rooms, outdoor swimming pool and whirlpool and a 24-hour complimentary guest fitness center. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Marriott, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Courtyard King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel King Kamehamehas Kona Beach
- Hawaii King Kamehamehas Kona Beach Hotel
- Courtyard King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel Hawaii/Kailua-Kona