“Peace and tranquility” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 12 Kailua-Kona B&B and Inns
Wisconsin
“Peace and tranquility”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

As someone said in a previous review Not everyone's cup of tea. Though the tea was good.I loved it here and we only spent one night. Met some really nice guests. Whom we saw later around the island. Interesting guests, nice music, great chickens,birds and views. Loved the frogs songs. But that is country living. Much nicer in many ways then the box we are in now with the golf course outside our window and the music blaring at night from the club across the green. I would go back again in a heartbeat. I liked the ambience.

Room Tip: Tight parking area, but it is on a cliff type hill. If you have trouble with stairs ask about lower...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed here after a long flight to the big island and were greeted with warm welcomes. We loved the setting as it was a 18 change from a resort. The breakfast options were yummy. I had still warm from the nest eggs to use for my omelet. The room was clean and comfortable but I did find myself wishing for a cup in the bathroom and soap in the shower. I loved the sounds of frogs as they reminded me of home. Probably the best things about the inn were the bright and interesting people we met that morning.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

We stayed only one night and have very mixed feelings about the place. It does not look anything like presented on the web site. It is a property surrounded by a 180 deg bend of the steep road above Kailua Kona. The road went fairly quiet around 10 pm and alive around 7am, so not to bad. Our room had only view of that road however -Jasmine room. No hot tub, no water fall, no other things in the pictures. and where did come the main picture from??? Property had chickens running around (and chicken poop), rabbits in their pen, koi pond full of leaves and abandoned. Generally the place was "relaxed" in a big way and in need of TLC if the pictures on the web site should matter. We had completely different image in mind based on the web site.
The room itself was basic, but comfortable and good value for the money. The people running the place were very nice, Jason was very friendly, helpful and a great piano player. The breakfast was very nice, all organic, make it yourself but well laid out and plentiful.
There was a chocolate gift awaiting us in the room, many DVD's to choose from for the evening in. Generally it was fine, just little misrepresented.

Room Tip: Ask about the view and noise. Do not expect country in, but an income property with many rooms, some...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
KonaPilgrim, Owner at Hale Maluhia Country Inn (house of peace) Kona, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
It is amazing to me that folks don't read the "Information" file. Our country Inn is exactly as presented on our web site. We state clearly we are on a country road with work hour traffic. As to the leaves, this is the time of the year that our Monkey Pod tree looses it's millions of leaves over just a few weeks. We have been every day chasing leaves, especially in the koi ponds. In fact we have spent most of today gathering up the leaves for our compost pile. If these folks had said something we would have turned on the water falls or the hot tub. We leave them off due the loss of water by evaporation and the cost of fuel in Hawaii. As to the chickens, we have nearly a bug free zone, which is unusual for Country Living in Hawaii, and we have the best tasting eggs in Kona so we put up with the land mines with cleaning every day. We do call ourselves a "Country Inn" and we mean it. I am from a hillbilly farm in Kentucky, guess some of the farm is still in me. And we do try to have a "Relaxed," Comfortable and Secure Inn without being tTouchy or Fussy. There are a lot of concrete antiseptic boxes available in Kona, they might be best if you don't love the Kona Coffee Country Comforts of home. Our guests become family here and many come back year after year for the comfort, freedom, Breakfast Lovers Buffet and bird watching. Seems these folks did enjoy our extended DVD Free Movie collection. For $107. per night these folks enjoyed a 11' x 21' room with private entrance and bath with refrigeator, microwav, AC, WiFi, Cable DVD and Table with Chairs with no party walls and included a full buffet breakfast each morning for 2 , like having your own cabin. Seems to me to be one of the best deals in Kona.
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights at this bed and breakfast and the first night I slept the best I'd slept for so long. In the background there were frogs and other creatures making noise, but I found the surroundings really peaceful. The breakfast was great, you get in and help yourself and you sit with the other travellers and chat. I loved it.

Room Tip: They have a few options, we stayed in the Banyan cottage. There was a comfy queen bed and a double b...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Medford, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Staying here is like visiting the mountain lodge or mountain cabin retreat you may visit to get away from it all, but in the tropics! When we arrived it was considerably cooler than downtown Kailua Kona as well as having lush gardens and surroundings, the property is covered with papaya trees, some mango trees and a couple of macadamia nut trees with lots of great nooks and crannies to go read a book, watch the birds, etc... We were warmly greeted and shown to our room which was quaint, with great antique furniture. Sweet song birds serenaded us in the mornings and evenings, it was lovely! Breakfast was a hit; great coffee, beautiful presentation of assorted fruits, and the other breakfast goodies were wonderful. Overall, the staff were great, the location was perfect, and the and our experience was amicable. Yes, I would definatley come back.

Room Tip: I would recommend calling Hale Maluhia, the staff can help you pick the best room for your needs rat...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Traverse City, MI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Good location from Kona Village.
Jap. Tea Room: Room and bathroom were very dirty. Not swept and carpet old and dirty. Bathroom was newly remodeled and set up very nice, however, the newly marbled tile shower was not being cleaned properly and was getting a lot of mold between grout. A spray bottle of X-14 Mildew Stain would clean it up if not damaging to marble. The area under/around the cabinet and refrigerator were very dirty. Nothing was dusted or cleaned behind anything in the room. I saw two very young girls who are the room cleaners (around 14 years old). It appeared they had no supervision or check list on cleaning of the rooms. I think their goal was to change towels and bedding.
Very noisy. Dogs barking during the night, road traffic very loud, chickens were also loud. The droppings were only washed down once that I noticed in the common area. With that many chickens it probably needs to be done 3x a day.
Breakfast was excellent but not served until 8:00am. I went down on Sunday at 8:30 and there was a lady who just finished preparing her meal and sat down to eat. She never looked up. Food had already been put away. It ended up she was the staff! The kitchen/food area seemed to be kept clean but Bonnie took care of that and she was very helpful and friendly.
The owner seemed to be absentee.
The grounds were nice except the automatic lightening at night was not centered properly on the stone steps. It was very dark to enter the very narrow stairway from the top or bottom so you really had to be careful when entering.
I guess my biggest complaint was the lack of proper cleaning, old dirty carpet, chicken dropping not cleaned enough.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main house are probably a lot quieter because they are not next to the road.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
KonaPilgrim, Owner at Hale Maluhia Country Inn (house of peace) Kona, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Well written and Mahalo for the help... We are no longer using the two girls for housekeeping, Bonny was supposed to be working with her daughter, Brianna and Jason's daughter in housekeeping. Bonny and Brianna have moved back to Oklahoma and we now have two professional housekeepers, my the difference. Bonny was supposed to eat before 8 or after 9, my apology. We have been working on the marble floor for some time now and will try the X-14. As to the carpet, it is due for a cleaning and we will consider your suggestion for a replacement. Also like to add that my Manager, Jason, has fallen deeply in love with a wonderful gal. He is a good man but just has too many minds at the present time and misses some of the bases. I will be glad when he get's married and settles down a bit. The neighbors Roosters have finally been relocated, PTL and the neighbors new dog has settled down into country living. But we still have some work hour traffic on our little Country Lane but that come with the country turf. It would have been nice if we could have hellped resolve some of these issues while you were here. As for me, at 80, I have difficulty sleeping at night so I don't get up in time for breakfast much of the time. Even had some surgery today, guess it comes with the turf. All in all today the Inn is in much better shape than when you were here and if you decide to come back our way we will give you a couple of nights for free for your trouble and the lighting will be fixed, guaranteed. We do try to make Hale Maluhia Country Inn (house of peace) Kona a top drawer Comfortable experience for all you come our way. Best Regards, Ken, owner
Paris, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

Hard to come up with the right words to be honest. Very mixed feelings. But as one said, in its prime I'm sure it was a great place.

Location: I think it's an excellent place, you need a car anyway in kona so getting there is not a problem. You are really not to far from anything.

The setting concept is great: I found the entire place clean, although on our first night the maid forgot the bath towels, there was no hot water. The room itseft was lovely, with a kind gift of chocolates when you arrive.

But the walls are paper thin!! You hear everything!! The neighbors the playing of the piano at 8:00am!!! Then in the evening the noise of nature!! Just too loud.

For what this place offers, and the price, I'm sorry but way over priced.

All in all, I would not return

• Stayed March 2013
KonaPilgrim, Owner at Hale Maluhia Country Inn (house of peace) Kona, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
These guests occupied our Makua Room which includes a 12' x 14' room with AC, King Bed, Marble lavatory with koa trim and a large double ceramic shower.. Well furnished with nautical expensive furnishings. The room has a standard double wall to the Music Room. My Manager Jason likes to play soft music for our guests at breakfast and they are delighted with his own compositions. Our breakfast begins at 8 AM and so the whole kitchen, music room and dining lanai are usually full of our guests. We did not realize these guests were late sleepers. Also the reset button went off on the water heater during the night and we did not realize that we ran out of hot water. We reset the water heater and in 30 minutes there was again hot water. We serve a full buffet local fruit bar breakfast with pastries and home made bread. We allow the guest to enjoy, and they do, making their own omelets and eggs dishes. The waffle iron is also hot and and available for our guests at breakfast. This is all done for the price of $113, per night including bird watching. Frankly, we feel our prices are the best in Kona for offering a Kona Coffee Country relaxed comfortable secure place to stay and a full buffet breakfast.

Been to Hale Maluhia Country Inn (house of peace) Kona? Share your experiences!