Our family, from disparate parts of the globe, spent a long time planning a memorable 3-week vacation in the Hawaiian Islands. Keeping 2 late teens, 2 parents and 2 grandparents happy might have been a challenge but Kauai was truly beautiful and Oahu was fun and had memorable moments, our accommodations in both were fine, but nothing compared to the outstanding hospitality offered to us by Wendi and Dave at Honu Kai, and the delights they led us to on the big island. First impressions as you enter the gate are of beautiful, lush, gardens. Dave and Wendi greeted us graciously and showed us to our beautifully appointed rooms. Each had it's own character, and we
were delighted with the mystical beauty of the Nigori room, with it's attendant deck which my husband and I shared. From the moment we arrived we were made to feel at home,
despite the unusual setting of lots of twittering birds at the feeder and geckos all around.
Nature surrounded us. The breakfasts were amazing, and everyone different from the last. True gourmet feasts, and as pretty to look at as they were good to eat. There were so many interesting things to do on the island and Wendi and Dave provided us with everything we might possibly need to make each experience comfortable and memorable, also guiding us to sights and points of interest not covered by your average
guidebook. That is a personal touch which they impart with so much humor and grace.
The week flew by so quickly with all the different experiences, each unique in its own way, and the visit to Volcanoes National Park, and the summit of Mauna Kea, unique to
the island itself. On our trip to swim with the dolphins we saw sea turtles, and whales,
and swam not only with dolphins but with several manta rays that came our way. That felt like the jackpot!! All too soon our memorable stay drew to a close and none of us wanted to go! Of the many and varied family vacations we have had, this one tops the
list, both in variety of activities and most especially for the outstanding hospitality that
was extended to us by Wendi and Dave, and the guidance they gave so our experience
would be perfect in each instance. No question that we will be back again as soon as
our lives allow. In the meantime we can dream of the challenging drive up Mauna Kea
in the mist and snow, and the beauty of the clouds in the sunset. A moment of magic
that will never be forgotten. So Mahalo, Wendi and Dave, thank you for a perfect visit.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Aloha filled vacation at a plantation styled B&B, set on a lush tropical 1.3 acre estate. Private park-like setting,gated parking. 10 mins. from Kailua-Kona, shopping, beaches & restaurants. Old-growth garden, zen zone with lots of statuary, relaxing & peaceful, welcoming! Expansive covered and sun decks, garden jacuzzi. 4 spacious rooms, all private baths,luxury linens: bungalow w/kitchenette, 2 tree-top bedrooms with sundeck, & master suite w/deck area. Shared outdoor kitchen with huge gas BBQ, shared fridge. Concierge services, trip planning, owners are very knowledgeable of Island activities and special things to do. We provide snorkel equipment/beach chairs/bags/boogie boards/umbrellas. 3 course hot breakfast, varied daily: pastries, local tropical and exotic fruits, special dietary needs are catered to. Teas/Kona coffee 24/7. Adult guests, no children under 17 years. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Honu Kai B&B reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Honu Kai Hotel Kailua-Kona
- Honu Kai Bed And Breakfast
- Honu Kai B&B Hawaii/Kailua-Kona