Going to the beach? Here’s your beach mat, beach towel, beach chair ..
Going snorkelling? Please take fins, mask, snorkel, noodle, map of snorkelling area …
Going to the summit of Mauna Kea? You’ll really need neck pillows for the journey back, scarves, bag of trail mix to keep away the munchies …
Just out for the day sightseeing? Why not consider a cool bag and ice block to keep your lunch cool, printed instructions of points of interest in the direction you will be going, and recommendations of where to buy said lunch …
Trust me, if Wendi and Dave haven’t thought of it, you do not need it. The service that this friendly, energetic and enthusiastic couple provide to their guests is beyond measure.
Their knowledge of the island is meticulous; the recommendations of tour operators are faultless (and personal). I’d booked the majority of our activities on the island prior to arrival to ensure we’d fit everything in to our short time, but absolutely used Wendi’s recommendations, and was thoroughly impressed with each one, from hot tubs and massage, to Manta Rays and swimming with dolphins, to ascending Mauna Kea.
The accommodation itself is a lush hideaway, up the hillside behind the town of Kona. Wendi’s orientation included being shown the room, the facilities, a quick lesson in geography and recommendations of how to fill the time we hadn’t squeezed our adventures into as yet.
The room (the Lani Suite) was one of two upstairs, comfortable and again, everything thought of – power adaptors, first aid kit, wine glasses, an extraordinarily comfortable bed. The room was light and airy, with access to the upstairs outside area.
Breakfast was an experience each morning – never the same items twice (unless, apparently, you stay longer than 14 days!), but always a fresh fruit course, followed by a cooked dish, with pastries, muffins, fruit juice and fresh Kona coffee. You are served by Dave, the other half of the dynamic duo, who has tales to tell, and the same passion for their business that Wendi exudes. The meal is enough to tide you through the day regardless of how active you are. As for dinner, well Wendi has many recommendations and can make bookings if required. Of course she can.
If you like, you can eat “at home” – there’s an outdoor kitchen to make you extremely envious, and a fridge shelf for each of the 4 rooms. There’s a large dining table (around which all guest are served breakfast), and a sofa area around an outdoor fireplace that looks like burning volcanic rocks. A great area to spend any time of day. And the gardens that surround the property? Beautiful, green, tropical and a world away from the hot dry landscape that surrounds Kona.
We chose Honu Kai for our trip to celebrate my husband’s milestone birthday, and discovered the place here on Tripadvisor. Everything everyone says is true, and our expectations were still exceeded! We absolutely loved every second of our 4 night stay. It just wasn’t long enough. As Wendi said, Big Island is the “be back” Island, there’s so much left that we didn’t do. We do want to come back, absolutely. And we would without hesitation stay at Honu Kai. So should you.
Mahalo Wendi and Dave :)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Aloha filled vacation at a plantation styled B&B, set on a lush tropical 1.3 acre estate. Private park-like setting,gated parking. 10 mins. from Kailua-Kona, shopping, beaches & restaurants. Old-growth garden, zen zone with lots of statuary, relaxing & peaceful, welcoming! Expansive covered and sun decks, garden jacuzzi. 4 spacious rooms, all private baths,luxury linens: bungalow w/kitchenette, 2 tree-top bedrooms with sundeck, & master suite w/deck area. Shared outdoor kitchen with huge gas BBQ, shared fridge. Concierge services, trip planning, owners are very knowledgeable of Island activities and special things to do. We provide snorkel equipment/beach chairs/bags/boogie boards/umbrellas. 3 course hot breakfast, varied daily: pastries, local tropical and exotic fruits, special dietary needs are catered to. Teas/Kona coffee 24/7. Adult guests, no children under 17 years. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Odigeo so you can book your Honu Kai B&B reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Honu Kai Hotel Kailua-Kona
- Honu Kai Bed And Breakfast
- Honu Kai B&B Hawaii/Kailua-Kona