Review of Honu Kai Bed and Breakfast
We have come to rely on TripAdvisor over the years for dead-on accurate information when planning trips and this time, not only were our expectations met, they were exceeded MANY times over and over!
A short trip to the west coast of Hawai’i and the Kona region afforded us the opportunity to stay at one of many lodgings in the area. While the hotels that dot the coast surely attract families and a wide array of travelers looking for that type of experience, we were looking for something far more personable and intimate. Welcome to Honu Kai!
Wendi and Dave (transplanted islanders and owners of Honu Kai) are the finest of innkeepers and their property is gorgeous. Honu Kai is situated within a short drive of Kona International Airport which, is a huge plus for weary travelers who have just spent the better part of a full day on a packed jet. Both Wendi and Dave understand this all too well as both were corporate pilots in a former life. Realizing their dream of moving to Hawai’i while maintaining their experience in life as service-oriented individuals, they have transformed Honu Kai into the very definition of paradise.
Honu Kai is situated higher up into the mountain area directly above the town of Kailua. It is a gorgeous property that while only 1.3 acres, gives the impression of total seclusion due to the beautiful grounds it encompasses and the lush tropical gardens that shelter this “little slice of heaven” from the real world outside its gates.
The airy, layout of the downstairs area at Honu Kai give one the impression of a welcoming home, like no other. There is a full outdoor kitchen area with everything (and, I mean ‘everything’) that one could hope for. Do you want to cook-in? No problem. A full size fridge provides a place to store groceries for the small number of guests staying at Honu Kai and there is a huge built-in Charmglow propane grill ready to grill steaks and seafood. Freshly cooked, Scrumptious 3-course breakfasts are served daily at a large communal dining table in the totally open air area on the 1st floor. Here too, Wendi and Dave have provided a lounge area with DVDs, lots of reading material relevant to travel on the Big Island, a huge monitor showing the incredible landscapes of Hawai’I and just about every minute detail you can imagine has been covered even before you arrive in preparation for your visit.
Indeed, the international cast of visitors we met while staying at Honu Kai included newlyweds from Toronto, a couple from Vienna and, another couple from Switzerland. The level of personal service and care that Wendi and Dave proudly take towards their guests has resulted in a very significant ‘return’ rate of satisfied customers. Although, when you stay at Honu Kai … you are not treated like a customer: you are ‘family.’ As jaded New Yorkers, the hospitality that Wendi and Dave exhibit towards their customers is astonishing and it will affirm your faith in knowing that there are still some places in the world where your business is cherished and appreciated. If you are looking for a very unique, special and memorable experience ... you've come to the right place.
The beautifully appointed and comfortable suites at Honu Kai feature all the amenities. You will feel both pampered and completely satisfied with your accommodations. If you forgot something, no worries; Wendi and Dave have that covered. Looking for suggestions on day trips, restaurants, sights to see, shopping, et al? Just ask. Chances are that Wendi has already compiled a book for you. Need beach towels? Check. Breakfast for the road? Check. How about a sweater if you travel north up into the mountains? No problem. Oh, and here … take these umbrellas just in case. Everything is provided.
Getting back to those breakfasts … here’s Dave up at the crack of dawn picking bananas off one of Honu Kai's banana trees for your breakfast. Wendi’s baked French toast with Mac nuts will blow your mind. Then there are the little touches like beautifully decorated plates featuring all local, indigenous fruits, Danish and a bottomless pot of freshly brewed 100% Kona coffee every morning. Yum! I could go on and on but, you have to experience this to really understand how amazing your hosts are, and how incredible your stay at Honu Kai will be. As Wendi says: she calls guests to the Big Island “be-backers,” as in, “I’ll be back.” You absolutely will.
This is a one-of-a-kind B & B that will blow you away. The generosity and sincerity of your hosts will make you feel like family and good friends by the time you leave. Saying goodbye to Wendi and Dave and, to Honu Kai was truly sad for us. Yet, we know that we’ll return as soon as we can
Mahalo, Wendi and Dave and thank you so much for taking such good care of us during our stay!
Tom and Karen - Northport, NY
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Aloha filled vacation at a plantation styled B&B, set on a lush tropical 1.3 acre estate. Private park-like setting,gated parking. 10 mins. from Kailua-Kona, shopping, beaches & restaurants. Old-growth garden, zen zone with lots of statuary, relaxing & peaceful, welcoming! Expansive covered and sun decks, garden jacuzzi. 4 spacious rooms, all private baths,luxury linens: bungalow w/kitchenette, 2 tree-top bedrooms with sundeck, & master suite w/deck area. Shared outdoor kitchen with huge gas BBQ, shared fridge. Concierge services, trip planning, owners are very knowledgeable of Island activities and special things to do. We provide snorkel equipment/beach chairs/bags/boogie boards/umbrellas. 3 course hot breakfast, varied daily: pastries, local tropical and exotic fruits, special dietary needs are catered to. Teas/Kona coffee 24/7. Adult guests, no children under 17 years. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Odigeo so you can book your Honu Kai B&B reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Honu Kai Hotel Kailua-Kona
- Honu Kai Bed And Breakfast
- Honu Kai B&B Hawaii/Kailua-Kona