“So welcoming” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
London
“So welcoming”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Honu Kai for 3 nights whilst on our honeymoon, the only thing we would have changed would have been to stay longer with Wendi and Dave. The bed was huge and very comfy, the breakfasts were beautifully presented and very tasty and everything we could possibly require for our trips was anticipated, with directions for our journeys and boogie boards thrust into our open arms!
Thank you for a wonderful stay.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

396 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

End of October, my wife and I visited Hawaii for the second time.
This time we thoroughly visited Oahu and Maui, and stayed the second time here at HonuKai.
Due to the location (cool in the evenings and nights, far away from tsunamis, close to shopping, restaurants and many beaches) and to the hosts (Wendi&Dave), this remained overall the best place to stay on the islands. You won´t get anywhere a breakfast as tasty as here and there is no place that makes you feel more like home.
We took again the bungalow, which proved to be once more the best choice if you need to relax in your own pace and have maximum privacy.
Not much has changed since my first review, only some details. Such as the fact that Wendi sells now a few souvenirs, e.g. coffee mugs with embossed HI map that are rare and make great gifts.
We went also this time to swim with Dolphins which was fantastic, but the Manta rays with Sunlight on Water were not as good as the previous year, because now they are split from the main group that attracts the rays.
Also, if you plan any activities on the island, check when the cruise ships are scheduled to arrive (i.e. Pride of America), as this will make booking anything quite a hassle.
We already plan our return. :-)

Room Tip: Take the bungalow. Save one day for visiting their Mauna Lani property/snorkel site. Ask for the Da...
Canton, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

I was traveling to Hawaii on November 25th 2012. My first time on the big island and my first time at a B&B, but what a positive experience. I arrived really late at night, but a letter was waiting for me and of course a beautiful room with everything you need including a comfortable bed. In the morning I was welcomed not only by the birds but by Wendi and Dave. They make you feel so welcome and so special. All the tips they gave me and the gear from snorkeling to cooler it just made it easy for me. I loved the breakfast including Kona coffee, fruits, and a warm breakfast. They will accomodate if you have any special needs. When you came back, you had the chance to sit around the fire pit and exchange your stories. Thanks for your hospitality. I will not forget this unique vacation and I wished that I could have stayed longer... Well, I guess I have to come back.

Room Tip: I think that every room is beautiful. Check out the website and you get a good view of the room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Honu Kai for three nights in October 2012. Not long enough! Wendi and Kona Dave are wonderful hosts. Their hospitality, care, and attention to detail are second to none. Kona Dave's breakfasts are the best - I still miss them! And Wendi's ability to know what you need before you know yourself is amazing. We HIGHLY recommend Honu Kai. If you can spend more than three nights, you really should. The location and B&B suits are ideal. The Big Island has so much to offer and Wendi and Dave can point you in all the right directions. I've stayed at many B&Bs over the years and Honu Kai is tops. Mahalo!

Room Tip: We stayed in the lovely Nigori suite.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This was the first time we have used a B&B, and what a great experience it was. Wendi and Dave are so professional and create such an amazing ambiance that it is easy to relax and enjoy yourself. The room are beautifully decorated, and very comfortable. The only complaint we could make would be the noise of the beautiful Java sparrows waking us up in the morning. How terrible is that. We will definitely go back and take our friends. The suggestions they make of how to pass the day and then whatever you choose the planning has already been done maps and tips, chilly bins just make it so easy to enjoy the big island. Thank you guys.

Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

My husband and I really loved our stay in the Mala Hale Bungalow at Honu Kai. Our room was so much nicer than we anticipated even after reading so many good things about the B&B here on TripAdvisor. Wendi and Dave were so welcoming and fun to talk to. In addition, they were always willing to help with any of our plans. The extra warm clothes they provided for our Mauna Kea summit tour were instrumental in keeping us warm. The company we toured with provided parkas, but we were very glad we had the extra sweaters, gloves and scarves once we realized how cold it gets up there!

The breakfasts were both beautiful and delicious every morning. This couple really knows how to make their guests feel special.

I would highly recommend staying at Honu Kai to anyone spending time in the Kona area.

Thanks Wendi and Dave!!

Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Believe what you read about Honu Kai B & B and the gorgeous Wendi and Dave, and their lovely staff Sonny and Ashley. My husband and I had been to Oahu previous and this was our view about Hawaii. Can I tell you that the island of Hawaii and this amazing B & B is NOTHING like the Waikiki strip (thankfully!!!). Firstly the accommodation is beautiful with the kind of garden and outdoor dining that I can only dream about to have in my own home. Even the two cats are gorgeous! As for the geckos - they are just too cute! The attention to detail Wendi and Daved just do so naturally is to be commended. As for the breakfasts, organising trips, fixing up appts for emergency dental work etc etc - the list goes on and on, The packs that are just so wonderfully organised for everyone to take on their day trips is so thoughtful and appreciated. One of the best nights was joining fellow guests and Wendi and Dave for a BBQ at the B & B, We all contributed to the meal and it was the kind of night you have with your best friends and leave feeling absolutely great. We hope to have the opportunity to return to Honu Kai B & B one day. We feel so blessed to have had this wonderful time on the Big Island. Thanks guys for such an amazing experience!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Honu Kai B&B? Share your experiences!