“Wow!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Neptune Charlies Ocean Safaris

Neptune Charlies Ocean Safaris
Honokohau Marina, Slip C1, (Just Right of Bite Me Fish Market Bar & Grill), Kailua-Kona, Island of Hawaii, HI 96740
+1 808-331-2184
Website
Improve this listing
Book ahead on Expedia
Book a Tour
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: For Lowest Prices, Live Availability & Instant Confirmations - click website next to our phone number above or call. We can't wait to show you the underwater world of Hawaii! From wild Hawaiian Spinner Dolphin encounters to diving with the world famous Kona Manta Rays, each EcoAdventure has been designed to bring you an unforgettable experience! Did you know that if you have NEVER tried scuba diving before, you can join us for a 2 tank introductory dive? We take intro's, certified divers, snorkelers and ride-alongs on most adventures! Customized private charters are also available. Join us today for an experience of a lifetime!
“Wow!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Excellent experience last night on the manta ray dive. Saw at least 10 different rays with virtually a private show. All the other boats went to the Sheraton location, we were the only ones left there. Amazing !!! The mantas followed us all upto the boat, and I am sure we were in the water longer then normal too.

The crew in the boat were so excited about it. It was a unique experience for them too. Their passion for this made it an awesome experience too. I am traveling by myself and they made me feel welcome as part of the group. They were very focused on customer service.

Highly recommended, now I am planning the doplhin and reef adventure with them before I go.

Texas
“Awesome and Unique Experience!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Our family decided to do this dolphin encounter based on the reviews, and we were not disappointed! The crew was awesome; they taught us about dolphins and how to enter their world. They are knowledgable and enjoy teaching on ocean life and answered all the questions we had for them. We dropped 3 times and saw dolphins each time. They checked on each of us throughout the drops, but they kept a special watch on our 12 year old. They also did a snorkel of a reef. They worked hard to ensure everyone had a great time. Before we started back at the end of the tour, Dave took me up to the front of the boat and told me to take a video- we really got a good video of the dolphins playing in front of the boat :)
I'd highly recommend these guys!

Redondo Beach
“A 'must do' experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Great company. When I return to Kona I will definitely use them! They were easy and accommodating. I'd done this once before on a trip that went earlier in the day. I wouldn't do that again. Leaving later and just doing the evening snorkel is a better option. That time I'd seen 2, this time we were very lucky and saw about 15. It was a completely amazing and very different experience. Great company!

Zillah, Washington, United States
5 attraction reviews
“Mantas are a must see, but this trip was so-so”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

Snorkeling with the graceful manta rays is definitely one for the bucket list, a once in a lifetime. We took this trip two years ago with another company and had an amazing experience--13 manta rays, including Big Bertha (16ft.), all close up (belly to belly).

When we returned to Kona, this time with friends, we talked up the manta snorkel as a "must do." And our trip was good, though not nearly as awesome as our first experience. In part, it was just luck--only three mantas showed up (better than none, as apparently had been the case recently with tiger sharks nearby). The larger part, however, had to do with one of the guests on the trip, who, obliviously, wreaked havoc on the entire trip. While I know the crew cannot control the behavior of all the participants (and I enjoyed the crew as a whole--fun, good humored), attempts could have and should have been made to ensure a good experience for all. As it was, while we were told to lie flat on our bellies in the water and warned we'd be reminded to keep our legs up, flat, we weren't, and this particular guest's paddling legs blocked my view the entire time and ensured mantas would not come very near. Her video camera was often in my face or, worse, loose at the end of the strap, bouncing against my husband's mask. At one point, she let go of the lighted floatation and took off in her own--a no-no (and a liability), for which she was not reprimanded. To be honest, it was a relief to have her gone because I finally had an unobstructed view, but ultimately, she didn't come back to the group or the boat, and a crew member had to search for her, causing several very sea sick guests to sit for additional time on a bobbing boat as we waited for her unapologetic return. Annoying! Additionally, the crew did not position our group well for viewing--I'm not sure if we were just late or what, but we had no divers with lights beneath us--we were on the "outskirts"--so viewing was limited until the very end--still cool, but disappointing by comparison to our first trip when we had close up interactions with the mantas.

All in all, manta ray snorkeling is a breathtaking experience, and this company/crew is friendly and fun, but our trip with them was a bit of a dud.

7 attraction reviews
“Once in a lifetime. Great with novices.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

Hubby and I went on a night dive. I was concerned because we are novices. Would we be able to see? Would the water be cold? What if we wanted to abandon the event while in the water? All concerns were abated. There are plenty of lights and a night camera. You will be out in tge water with lots of other tour companies. The water is warm. And, when hubby wanted to go back to the boat before the dive was complete, our huide graciously led him back to the boat, no problem. The other guide shuttled between two groups until our guide returned. The manta rays come right up to you! Incredible to see the massive creatures up close.

We saw 20 or so manta rays. The crew and other helpers make sure the plankton come your way. There ia an underwater videograpgher who takes pictures and video that you can buy afterward. The prices were too steep for us. If the price was half of what they were charging I think they woukd have had more takers.

Definitely worth the tim and investment. Crew was great!