“First time experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ohana Sportfishing Adventures

Ohana Sportfishing Adventures
Honokohau Small Boat Harbor, 74-380 Kealakehe Parkway slip D-3, Kailua-Kona, Island of Hawaii, HI 96740-2704
+1 808-854-7760
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #41 of 204 Activities in Kailua-Kona
Type: Sports
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We specialize in private custom charters for up to 6 people. Sorry, no shared charters.
Vail, Arizona
“First time experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Captain Chris, wife Geri and deckhand Ryan were excellent. Myself, my grown son and daughter and grandson were first time sport fishing landlubbers from Arizona and the experience was super. We all caught something and the entire trip was supurb. Grandson (age 13) had the biggest smile I may have ever seen. We all highly recommend Ohana to everyone as they customize your ecperience to your wishes. Thanks again.

Wally A.

Visited May 2014

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

OhanaSportfishing, Owner at Ohana Sportfishing Adventures, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Thanks so much for the review, Wally, we had a great day with you and your family. We love making happy memories with new friends!

Austin, Texas
8 attraction reviews
“Awesome adventure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

My wife and I, along with our 19 year old daughter, 17 year old son, and 8.5 year old daughter went on a half-day trip today. Captain Chris, his wife Geri, and deck hand Ron were amazing. Seas we're calm, I wore a patch just to make sure I would not get seasick and it worked very well.

We caught 4 types of tuna, including yellow fin tuna today. All Weighed between 3 and 6 lbs. everyone had a blast and learned a lot about fishing. When we returned to the dock they cut up the fish for us to take with us. I would highly recommend this group to anyone and will do it again before my trip is over. If you want the best fishing trip this is your crew and boat . Scott

Visited June 2014
OhanaSportfishing, Owner at Ohana Sportfishing Adventures, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Thanks so much, Scott, we really enjoyed fishing with you and you family. Love to take you out again, now that you are seasoned anglers, and find you something a little more challenging. Mahalo nui loa and a hui hou!
Vail, Arizona
“Great Experience with Ohana Sportfishing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

May 2014 we celebrated my parents 50th wedding anniversary in Hawaii. My son really wanted to go deep sea fishing. We were truly blessed to have found Ohana Sportfishing and I can't recommend them highly enough. The boat was beautiful, the Captain and his wife were delightful and Ryan the deckhand was fantastic. They all worked together and gave us an experience we will never forget!

My son (age 13) caught the first fish with a beautiful Ono, my brother caught a nice Tuna, my father tagged and released a rare Marlin and I finished the trip with another Ono. Not a bad days fishing for four novices from Arizona!

If you are thinking of adding a fishing trip to your Hawaiian vacation, I highly suggest you contact Geri and Chris and book with Ohana. If we are ever lucky enough to be back in Kona we will definitely fish with them again!

Visited May 2014
OhanaSportfishing, Owner at Ohana Sportfishing Adventures, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Mahalo nui loa for your praise and for including us in your special family trip to Kona. You guys got your "sea legs" quick for a bunch of "desert rats" and took to the fishing like pros! Love to see you again aboard the Ohana.
San Francisco, California, USA
4 attraction reviews
“Best fishing trip yet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

I was a novice and had gone on smaller fishing trips which rarely yielded any large fish so I was excited to try this boat out. They basically took care of everything other than reeling the fish in which was great for a beginner like myself.

I signed up for a 4 hour trip (half day). The first 2 hours were just getting out into the ocean (which we set out immediately from the marina at 6:15am) and getting to the fishing grounds where there wasn't much activity going on. With not much luck, we switched from going for a deep line to more shallow fishing and immediately started catching ahi tuna. We ended up landing 2 of those and a few other smaller ones. They were all medium sized (each one big enough to feed 1 or 2 persons). We ended up switching back to fishing for something bigger by the end and managed to get a spearfish which apparently was quite rare. It was surprisingly difficult reeling so many fish in but it goes to show what great guides the folks were at finding so many. Once we brought them close to the boat, they would use a net to bring it in. Later on they cleaned up the fish and gave us some of the fillets to take to a restaurant to cook.

My only regret was relying on them to take most of the photos with their equipment or their friends' rather than our own camera phones. We ultimately got lower resolution photos than I would have liked which is sad cause they were great images showing of all our catches.

I would recommend this activity to anyone though!

Visited May 2014
OhanaSportfishing, Owner at Ohana Sportfishing Adventures, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Thank you for your review, Victor, we enjoyed having you aboard the Ohana. We are sorry (and a bit surprised) to hear that you were disappointed with the pictures taken by The Charter Desk when your fish were weighed in. Their photos are proudly displayed on the websites and FaceBook pages of every fishing boat in this harbor and they have always provided excellent service. We are sure that Shawna and her staff would welcome any suggestions you might have for improving their product if you want to email her through their website. Mahalo nui loa.
Odessa, Florida
5 attraction reviews
“A Great Time Fishing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

Thursday, 17 April was a good day for our fishing adventure. Geri greeted us while Chris was gassing up the boat. She had fruits and snacks on board which helped get us moving. There were three of us, myself, daughter, and grandson, age 11. I was amazed that Ryan, the deckhand, had us set and trolling five minutes out of the harbor. There is no down time getting to and from the fishing grounds. We caught our share of tuna and then some. We had one Marlin hit that Ryan estimated at around 400 lbs. Sure would have been nice to get some photos of him.
Their boat is very nice and comfortable with all the amenities. Everyone bent over backwards to make sure we enjoyed ourselves and had a successful fishing trip. They succeeded! There are a lot of charters to choose from and I can see why Chris, Geri, and Ryan have so many great reviews. I will certainly use them again the next time we charter a fishing trip on the big island of Hawaii.

Visited April 2014
OhanaSportfishing, Owner at Ohana Sportfishing Adventures, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Mahalo Al, for you kind words and for allowing us to share our passion with you and your family! We look forward to our next adventure together whenever you return to Kona. Warm aloha.