“Great place for casual dinner” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Los Angeles
“Great place for casual dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

My wife, another couple and me had dinner there and loved it. Service was great and we loved the casual menu of burgers, sandwiches and other simple food. We had a variety of dishes and everybody loved it. the bar was lively and fun. You have a beautiful view to the 18th hole and you can watch people play it if there is still light. We will be back again

• Visited October 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Dallas, TX
“Open For Customers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

This is now called the Hualalai Sports Bar and Grill. Used to be Alan Wong. Despite the tsunami water damage to the Four Seasons, this restaurant is open and located on the 2nd floor, over the 18th hole Golf Shop. Open air, nice decor and bar area. Sports on the several wide screens, They have an excellent casual menu: burgers, fries salads, fish tacos, and variety of bar food. They do not take reservations, but not an issue as they are new and not many people know about. Just show up and there will be plenty of room - until more people know about this place.

Visited March 2011
hawaii
“The restaurant is closed for renovations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2010

The restaurant is closed for renovations and won't open until fall of 2010

Plano, Texas
“Excellent food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2009

No ocean view but the food was excellent. I got the lamb chops and my husband got the hawaiian red snapper. We got clams for appetizer and I do recommend it.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Oakland, CA
“10 course tasting menu was delicious”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2009

We decided to try the Hualalai Grille based on guide book and friend's recommendations. We also wanted one "fancy" dinner while in Hawaii to celebrate my birthday. We reviewed the menu online before getting to the island and decided to try the tasting menu, that was, assuming we could get a reservation.

We tried calling three times only to be hung up on or left on hold. That didn't bode well at all and we were ready to give up. We stumbled upon a different phone number that was answered quickly and we made a reservation for the following night.

When we arrived at the Four Seasons of course I thought it was beautiful. The restaurant overlooks the golf course and the lobby on the other side. Unfortunately we were first seated next to a family with two young kids who were loudly discussing the merits of Hannah Montana. Shortly thereafter another family joined them and they began arguing about Hannah Montana. If I'm going to spend a lot of money on a romantic meal, that is NOT the ambiance I want to experience. Why do parents bring their misbehaved children to these types of restaurants and then let them act out?

A waiter must have noticed the abrubpt change in my body language and my husband looking around for a different table because after about 8 minutes or so he came over and offered to move us to a table at the other side of the restaurant that overlooked the grounds and the beautiful wooden lobby building. Thank goodness! Strangely, we were seated next to another group with kids in a similar age bracket but they were polite, quiet and weren't complaining they wanted mac & cheese. Strange how one family could do it but not another.

We were trying to decide between the 6, 8 and 10 course meal when my husband decided on the 10 as the best route - go big or go home, eh?

The meal was started off with a snapper sashimi amouse bouche and was followed by scrumptious meals ranging from duck scallion crepes to butter poached lobster and scallops with mushrooms. Every single thing we ate was delicious (the lobster over pea puree being my absolute favorite). My serving #6 the husband was regretting his choice on the 10-course meal, but we persevered.

The only downfall is that this was NOT a cheap meal and I don't think the 10-course menu gave us anything the 6-course wouldn't have in terms of understanding the cuisine. We just had more. We went home big, that's for sure.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere