“Stunning oceanside view, great food, good entertainment.” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Island Lava Java is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 209 Restaurants in Kailua-Kona
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dessert, Dinner, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Palani
Transit: Public bus stop 300 yards away.
Description: Great Kona Restaurant specializing in fresh, local, organic and sustainable food with 100% Kona Coffee and our own Bakery on site. Serving breakfast, lunch, dinner & Sunday brunch, we are committed to using the highest quality locally produced ingredients. We proudly feature grass fed Big Island Beef, Big Island organic goat cheese and locally grown organic produce, freshly baked house made breads, desserts & goodies. Island Lava Java, Bistro Grill is Kona's #1 Coffee House and Restaurant. We were voted to have the "Best Breakfast in Kona" by the readers of the West Hawaii Today. Island Lava Java Bistro & Grill's Island fare is inspired by everyday island cooking. You'll feel relaxed while savoring a great meal in our casual and comfortable outside, Oceanside lanai. Experience our inventive cuisine, attentive service, and a friendly atmosphere; come see what makes us one of the most popular restaurants and coffee houses in town. We look forward to meeting you!
Toronto, Canada
“Stunning oceanside view, great food, good entertainment.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Free corkage so bring a bottle of wine- they don't hold a liquor license to serve you, but will give you glasses, etc. Food is delicious and reasonably priced - nothing beats the sunset view of the ocean. Live entertainment hit or miss depending on your taste.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Poor service!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

This review is based strictly on customer service. I've eaten there many times years ago, but today I was treated like never before. I order a chocolate shake to go. I paid the cashier. At that time he was decent. I was given a buzzer to let me know when my shake would be ready. When the buzzer went off, I went to the counter and saw a vanilla shake with chocolate sauce swirled on the top. No one said anything to me, so I was not sure if it was mine. Buzzer kept going off and no one at the counter recognized me so I asked where to pick up my shake. The gentleman waved in the general direction of the shake. Normally, I would have brushed something like that off, but I report it because it was out of character as compared to service I received in years past. My husband was put off by my treatment. Since no one asked for my buzzer I sat it on the counter. My husband asked what I was supposed to do with it. Again, no words spoken. The cashier took it and threw it in a pile. You expect more from an establishment like this.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Exton, Pennsylvania
“Two Breakfasts in a Row”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

This place was a short walk from our hotel but they do have parking behind the building. My first meal there was the Big Island Breakfast, which was eggs your way, apple-cured bacon and home fries. Delicious. The iced tea was fresh, maybe with a hint of mango? We then split the pull-apart cinnamon roll, which reminded us of monkey bread. Fresh as can be, moist delicious. Not disappointed at all!

Our return the next day had me trying the Big Kahuna Fish Breakfast. It included mahi mahi, which we are now convinced the east coast chefs are cooking fish TOO long. It included eggs, home fries and fruit. Again, a fabulous meal and nothing else was eaten until dinner.

Houston, Texas
“Breakfast is good, but it ends there”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We ate dinner at this restaurant one evening and it was not good.My husband got the chicken in an extremely strong wine sauce and I got a burger that was tasteless. I know the breakfast and coffee are good just don't have dinner here.

Visited October 2012
Racine, Wisconsin
“place to rest for a bit, good view”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

My husband and I stopped here to rest and to get a light lunch. We had half turkey sandwich, just so-so, a very forgettable lunch. I ordered onion soup but it tasted more like Chinese hot and sour soup. Very little attention from the waitress. The half sandwich plates were $8.75, full plate $10.75. Why? The restroom was back in the kitchen area. Very dirty and nasty. We didn't have the coffee. That might be the reason this place exists, to have a drink, rest, and get a good view. Certainly there are better places to eat.

• Visited October 2012