“Excellent food, even better views!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Humpy's big island ale house

Humpy's big island ale house
Ali'i dr., Kailua-Kona, Island of Hawaii, HI
Improve this listing
Ranked #71 of 225 restaurants in Kailua-Kona
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Description: On ali'i . Phone number is 808-324-2337
Orlando, Florida
“Excellent food, even better views!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

The macadamia nut encrusted mahi mahi with Kahlua sauce = super fantastic! We sat on the second floor that provided a spectacular view and a much needed breeze on a warm day. Highly recommend.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

74% Recommend
Louisville, Kentucky
“Pricey but delicious”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

While on our honeymoon we stopped by here for lunch. Great view and breeze with outside seating right at the beach. My husband ordered the fish tacos, I ordered the blackened fish sandwich, and we also got the half a dozen garlic/butter/parmesan shrimp that we shared. We each enjoyed our entrees, tasty & good portions. However, if the shrimp wouldn't have been so expensive we would have wanted 50 of them each! They were to die for! Best shrimp I we have ever ate in our lives, but comes at the price of $12 for 6 of them. So I savored each and every bite. Our waitress was very friendly. If I get the chance to come back to this wonderful island I will be sure to get some more of these wonderful shrimp!

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Milwaukee
“Great view, just skip the food.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

If you are looking for a short stop for some drinks and a view. This is a great place, but if you are looking for a good meal, well I would try something else. Not that the food was bad, but not worth the price, plus service was a bit slow for the off hour that we were there. So I would say sure grab a beer or two on the way to dinner. Also stick to beer, the the best mixed drinks either.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Topanga, California
“Very good transplant from Anchorage, AK”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

We had a very good meal in this casual restaurant/beer hall. Having been to Humpy's in Ahchorage we were looking for a beer comparable to Alaskan Amber. The waiter was very accommodating, allowing us to taste a variety of beers/ales trying to find one to our taste. Atmosphere here is similar to the Anchorage venue, but less crowded even though we were there on a football day. We sat in the back to avoid some of the football noise, but there is an outside deck with views, which can be seen from inside also.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Lechlade, United Kingdom
“Awful, avoid this place”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Having had a great lunch at Huggos on the rocks we thought we would try Humpys for dinner (had seen the Alaska restaurant on man v food).
Food was terrible - my wife has salmon with what I can only describe as cheap nasty microwave rice. I had the lava wings for an appetiser, basically wings with some cheap hot sauce poured over.
Then onto the main event, my 14 oz new York strip. Now in my experience the US has some of the best beef anywhere, and it is normally excellent. Not this - my medium rare was overcooked, fatty and pretty much inedible, it came with the 'starch of the day' which was some revolting mush that must have come from the bottom of the freezer.
The guy serving was surly and never even asked why we had not eaten our food (i could not see the point of sending it back to be replaced with more of the same)
As previous reviewers have said the views are good, but there are plenty more places with equally good views. if you like food then avoid this place at all cost, if you want to waste $60 on a plate of inedible food then this is the place to go.
If I could have given it no stars I would have!

First time ever that I have not left a tip.

• Visited September 2012