“Ian & Lauren rock!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: We have the BEST LESSONS on SURFING Paddleboarding, Outrigger Canoes, Surfskis ( Kayaks ) Bodyboarding JET SKIS. We make ALL our own Stand Up Paddleboards, Surfboards and Outrigger Canoes. We treat all our guests as athletes because believe competition techniques and knowledge is the FASTEST, most Stable and most efficient way to SURF & paddle i.E. DO IT RIGHT THE 1st TIME. We EDUCATE our guests to be able to self coach. Established in 2002. We started out as a maker Hi-Performance Carbon Outrigger Canoes & Paddleboards in Kona, Hawaii. We opened an ocean front store so that paddlers, surfers and tourists could come test our products in a convenient location on the Kona Pier. We sell our unique products by "word of mouth". You can visit us on Facebook under HYPR IAN FOO -
San Francisco
3 attraction reviews
“Ian & Lauren rock!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

My friend and I wanted to try paddle boarding, and both Lauren and Ian were great. Lauren gave us a really good lesson beforehand and got us set up with the right boards. Then we crossed the street to the beach, and she helped us get up and paddling, gave us a bit more instruction, then sent us off to have fun. There was no pressure to back within a certain time frame, no dire warnings about where to go or not go, just a good lesson plus a chance to go practice. We went back a couple of day later to do some more, and Ian, following his ethos of "we are treating you as someone wanting to learn paddle boarding and not just have the tourist experience" got us onto slightly more advanced boards. It felt really good to be learning something new, even though I did get a lot of 'practice' falling off and re-mounting the board :-) Next time I am planning to try their surf lessons!

Visited September 2013

Dumfries, Virginia
“This is the place to take Paddle Board lesson”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

My 14 year old daughter & myself were in Kona and wanted to take a paddle board lesson. A local had recommended this place. He has a real passion for the sport and teaching you the proper technique, not just selling rentals or lessons. He wanted to make sure that technique was taught right and that I understood the skills so I could continue. He took time with us, and then let us go for a couple of hours -- he wanted us to get it and understand it. Several other places were going to rent us a board but didn't seem too concerned if we knew what we were doing. If you're going to take a lesson/rent a board -- do it here!

Visited September 2013
Sydney
“Such a great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

My boyfriend and I had such a great experience learning how to surf with Chris and Ian! I had no idea how to surf before speaking with Ian, whilst my boyfriend had some experience surfing but had hardly stood up on the board. Ian gave us a tutorial of how to surf which was really easy to follow and understand then we were out in the water! His simple technics were really effective and I stood up and got back on my board on the first go! After the session my boyfriend told me that it was the most he had ever stood up on a board before and it was solely due to Ian's simple techniques. Ian and Chris were both very nice and friendly and we highly recommend having some fun and checking out his store! Can't wait to go back there!

Oak Park, California
“Great Time in Kona!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

We had a great experience with Hypr Nalu. My son (13 yr old) and I rented stand up paddle boards for 2 hours. We used right in front of the shop by the Kona pier. My son and I have a lot of swimming, ocean, and surfing experience, but we are pretty new to stand up paddle (SUP) boarding. We didn’t do the full beginner training with an instructor in the water with us. However, Ian still spent about 20 minutes with us before going out. We did some land drills and we learned about proper stroke technique. Even after getting in the water Ian was still giving us tips from land. I learned a lot. I wanted to go out another time on this trip, but didn’t get around to it. I looked into renting a SUP board on A-Bay, but it was more expensive.

I actually bought a SUP Board about two weeks before going to Kona. I wish I would have talked to Ian before buying my paddle board. I did a bunch of research and ended up buying a board that was probably too big for me. Ian put me on a much shorter and narrower board. I was worried that I wouldn’t be able to stay on it. It turned out to be perfect. I could even go smaller.

I would definitely recommend Hypr Nalu to anybody visiting Kona.

San Francisco, California
“Very Fun Must-Do Activity in Kona!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Stand Up Paddle Board with HYPR Nalu was awesome! The instruction was incredibly thorough and all of the staff were so much fun and great to go out with. I felt very safe and comfortable and was amazed that everyone in my group was out and paddling after our thorough but quick tutorial and tips. I am not that sporty but really recommend it- so much fun to be out in the water and take in the ocean, sun, the island etc. People in my group even saw dolphins!