“Night-time manta ray snorkel - amazing!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #79 of 203 Activities in Kailua-Kona
Tampa Bay, FL
5 attraction reviews
“Night-time manta ray snorkel - amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Kamanu has a friendly, knowledgeable staff who make you feel comfortable about the night snorkel and the animals you're in the water with. They give detailed instruction about the entire event and explain the manta rays in a calm demeanor to ease any nervousness. Nobody on the catamaran experienced any seasickness, there is a (tiny) bathroom on board, they offer snacks & drinks (water/soda/beer/wine); they provide wetsuits, flippers, snorkels & masks. We took our 11yo twins and didn't have any worry. We all enjoyed it thoroughly & would do it again. We definitely recommend this excursion!

Visited July 2013

Saint George, Utah
3 attraction reviews
“Best Day Ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I flew in from the Mainland, with a 8 hour layover in Honolulu. When I arrived in Kona, I was fried, I changed into my suit and within two hours of my arrival I was on the Kamanu Catamaran swimming with dolphins.
I had a wonderful day swimming and sailing.
The crew was knowledgeable and fun. The first mate Cindy went out of her way to make sure everyone had a great time. Her outgoing personality and her great sense of humor added to the experience.
I plan to return to Kona in December and I look forward to another day with Kamanu!
Thank you Captain John and Beth...

Visited May 2013
Trafalgar, Indiana
5 attraction reviews
“Snorkeling with the Dolphins”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

This was a great experience. We did have to go a ways to find the dolphins but the crew was knowledgeable and experienced. Once the dolphins were located we "leap frogged" three times, each time we got better at swimming along with the dolphins. On one jump we also say a manta ray swimming toward the bottom. The water was warm and clear. The crew was concerned with our safety and provided flotation if needed. On our return trip we were entertained by a dolphin who circled our boat twice, doing flips and turns. The crew said they had never seen a dolphin do that before. Turned out he had a remora on his chest that he was trying to dislodge. Highly recommend this adventure.

5 attraction reviews
“Manta rays: a must do experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

Fortunately we had a relaxed crew (captain Marc, Shaun and Asia) since we saw other boats doing this trip with totally hyped up, yelling and loudly cheering crew members and that was just annoying.

Eventhough we were on a catamaran we didn't sail to the manta ray spot since that would take too long, so the captain used the engine (still took about 45 minutes).

There were about 20 guests on board and at the sighting spot several other boats (from different companies) moared as well. Marc told us that on a bad day you could be in the water with 400 people!! Fortunately today there were about 150 people in the water when we were there (still a lot though).

The experience itself is really awesome. Kamanu provides several surfboards (as well as snorkel gear and wetsuits) with lights underneath you can hold on to. The placton is attracted by the light, which in their turn attract the mantas.

The manta rays come withing a few inches of you and that seems scary at first, but gives you excellents views on the creatures.

You're in the water for about 45 minutes. When you get out of the water you can have complementary drinks (water, soda, beer, wine) and snacks (fresh pineapple and pretzels) while the captain takes you back to the harbor (again about 45 minutes).

A lot of companies offer this experience, have good equipment and boats and go to the same spots so it really comes down to the crew, and seeing (and hearing!!) the other crews and, of course, seeing our crew and their professional behavior I would really recommend Kamanu.

Montreal, Canada
5 attraction reviews
“Swim (fast) with the dolphins”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

We took a catamaran tour for swiming with the Dophins. I embark this journey open minded because these are wild animals and you will see them it they feel llike it, just like a safari. So keep that in mind and enjoy the day. The crew and the Captain were absolutly great. We were just 7 people on the boat, on a sunshine morning and it was fabulous. We got lucky, there were dolphins. If you really want to swim with them remember to be a fair to good swimmer. I had dolphins come to my face and pass over me... but I did swim a lot.

I recommand this tour as a 5 stars, for the attitude, the confort of the boat, the service and the dolphins. Thanks to Kamanu, I realised a lond life dream ( I am against captive dolphins, so never want to do it otherwise)