“Not a 4 star and watch out for the resort fee” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay

You added Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay to your Saves list
Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   78-128 Ehukai Street, Kailua-Kona, Island of Hawaii, HI 96740 (Formerly Sheraton Keauhou Bay Resort & Spa)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
GreenLeadersSilver level
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Not a 4 star and watch out for the resort fee”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I booked this hotel on a bidding site, for what I thought was a pretty good price, and was very excited about my stay. The hotel looks beautiful and has really good reviews. When I arrived, I asked about getting an ocean view room, but was told it would be an additional $40 a night, which I declined. I was handed my keys and went to my room. The room they gave me was def not 4 star quality, the furnishings looked older and there was a big hole at the bottom of my sliding glass door where bugs could easily get in and the air conditioning could get out. I live on Big Island, so I am used to the bugs, but I was just surprised see this in a 4 star hotel. When I looked at my keys, I noticed a card telling me about a $31.25/night resort fee which included parking, wireless internet, and some other services that i didn't need. I definitely found this to be incredibly high, and would have preferred the front desk telling me about it, but at that point, i was a captive audience. I did find it annoying that when I called the front desk and told them that my internet wasn't working, that they directed me to Time Warner Cable where I had to sit on hold and then move furniture to reset routers and things. If I am paying $31.25 a night for access to the internet, I expect it to work! We also had intermittent issues with our tv, which wasn't a big deal because we weren't watching it much. The room also had a kind of musty odor. Again, not a huge deal, but you expect a bit more from a 4 star hotel.

To be fair, there were some good things about the Sheraton...the common areas are really nice. The pool is great and there is plenty of seating, the coffee shop in the hotel was good and the workers were really nice. I also enjoyed watching the manta rays and the location is great for exploring this side of the island.

Overall I would expect more from a 4 star and think the resort fee is really high and a bit deceptive. You pay a price for a hotel and when you get there find out that you have to pay $31.25 a night. That could really add up over a weeks stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
SheratonKona, General Manager at Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Aloha and thank you for sharing your thoughts with us about your recent stay. Although we are glad that you have expressed an appreciation for our pool, staff and location, we were disappointed that we could not fully impress you. Since it is our hope to accommodate the needs of all of our guests, we deeply regret any inconveniences that you may have experienced with our Internet services. Thank you for your feedback; someday soon we hope that we can welcome you back again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (463)
  • Indonesian first
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Well we were on a Globus tour of the 4 big islands and having stayed at all 4 Sheraton resorts, I would have to say that Kona was our favourite. We paid for the ocean front upgrade and because we were on our 25th anniversary, we were given the ocean front deluxe with the view of the Manta Ray's coming close to shore to feed. Unbelievable..

Our room was big and beautiful and did I mention the complimentary bottle of champagne, and of course the Lais when we arrived. I also liked the layout of the hotel. With the smaller pool in the middle. I could hear the birds in the morning, it seemed like they were just outside our door.

Honestly you are in Hawaii, pay for the sunset view and the smell of the ocean breeze. It was not that much more, and of all the hotels this one stood out for us as the most quiet and scenic.
Coming from Canada, 11.5 hour flight, I wanted it all.

Reading other reviews there was a power outage also, our suite in building #1 was not affected. But the other people on our tour mentioned they were given a $50 credit to spend. This was all negotiated by our tour rep.

Loved the slide, I went down it a few times....lots of fun.

The luoa was so much fun, Very interactive, I had a beautiful turtle painted on my arm, hula lessons, and my husband learned how to twirl the fire batons. The food was fun, pig roast, purple potatoes, poki? and so much more....The fire torches were lit, at 7 we all rushed down to the water to see the sun set. The show begins with dancing, singing, and ends with lots of fire. Lots of fun, with complimentary Mai Tai's.. yummy

The food was amazing, Loved Rays, loved the music playing, listening to the ocean crashing and the trade winds blowing, just beautiful.

This is why they call Hawaii Heaven....

Room Tip: building one is a must.... pay for the upgrade, you will not be dissappointed.... you are in Hawai...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Mahalo and happy anniversary! It was our sincere pleasure to have you staying with us at Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay as you commemorated 25 years of marriage. We’re thrilled you enjoyed the sunsets, smell of the ocean, sounds of the birds, the pools, Rays on the Bay and so much more. Our guests are our number one priority and we strive to create an experience that everyone will remember fondly for many years to come. The Haleo Luau you mentioned is a unique Hawaiian cultural and dining experience with live music and entertainment and delicious cuisine: taking our guests on a colorful and entertaining journey through history. Thank you for your review; we hope that you will allow us the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I now have been blessed to rate my experiences on three different islands. This trip included Maui and The Big Island. (Previous was Kauai in 2011). If you are looking for a "Beach Experience" this wouldn't be the place to go since most of the island is made up of volcanic lava rock. However, we were wanting a beautiful place to relax minus the hustle and bustle of a lot of people, but with amazing views of the ocean. The Sheraton is a rather older property which could use some updating with regard to the rooms, building etc...but the pool is absolutely amazing. We were told that the property was recently acquired by Sheraton and my hope is they will make some major adjustments with regard to the staff or "lack of." My husband stays at Sheraton's several times every week with business travel and we were very disappointed with the overall culture of this property. Many times there was no one at the front desk, and when there was a line of several people checking in, someone would show up. I did notice on several other reviews that they had the same experience. Many of the employees don't really act as though they want to help, but there were a few that were more than accommodating. We travel a lot, mainly through Europe and I will have to say this was the first experience of not feeling welcomed. The rooms were clean, nothing to brag about, but then again I am there to enjoy the outdoors. If the room is clean and the view is good, than I feel as though we had a great experience for the most part. The pool and the grounds are very beautiful, with a winding pool that has a slide and waterfalls. It's fairly large as well, so you don't feel as though you are being crowded out by massive amounts of people. Location is good and be sure to drive around the different parts of the island especially the Volcano hike at Volcano Hawaiian National Park. P.S. Take a lunch and do not eat at Uncle George Lounge at the Park unless you want overpriced food, poor service and a wait of over 1 hour just for a sandwich.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
SheratonKona, General Manager at Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Aloha and thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay with us. While we are truly delighted that you enjoyed several aspects of your visit including our fantasy pool and waterslide, we were disappointed to learn that the level of service you encountered did not reflect the high standards that we have set. It is certainly disheartening to learn that we did not make a better impression. We appreciate your feedback and hope that we will have a chance in the future to welcome you back and provide you with the service that exceeds your expectations. Mahalo.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the Sheraton for four nights in May as part of my honeymoon, on arrival the staff gave me a welcome gift (necklace made from kukui nuts) and congratulated us on our honeymoon. We stayed on the forth floor in a garden view room. The room was very spacious and quiet, the decor and the bathroom was a bit old but perfectly useable. We had room service breakfast on our terrace one morning which was lovely. The grounds are beautiful you can walk along the sea front path getting some great sunset pictures. There are two pools the busiest being the larger sea view pool at the back of the hotel. There is a water slide there which the young children were making use of. The hotel is secluded however you can drive to Kailua Kona village in approx 10 minutes. We hired a car from Hertz which is located within the hotel and could park free of charge in the guest car park at the front of the hotel. There is a daily charge of $30 which covers the use of wifi among other things thankfully this was already paid for by out travel agent buts something to be aware of for those wanting to make use of the wifi.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Congratulations on your recent nuptials! We are thrilled that you chose to stay at Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay during your honeymoon and that you had such a wonderful time. We hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon. Mahalo.
Nowra
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Just came back from 5 days at this resort. Overall the location was beautiful and resort itself very glamourous. Our room very spacious and comfortable bedding excellent and comfortable. Facilities very good. Front staff reasonable but think they could've been more friendly not engaging guests hardly at all. Had dinner at "Rays on the bay" and it was a standout for service, hospitality, and choices of foods, drinks and friendliness. Two down sides: the staff at the pool bar were very slow to assist and we waited ages for our meal, and upon checkin in, even though they had been notified we were celebrating our anniversary, at the front desk, there was no mention of this until I mentioned it and they denied knowledge of it ( I emailed them and they had replied before we got there),and suddenly there was an offer of a free bottle of wine. That, was a little disappointing.

Room Tip: Hire a car - this location requires transport even just to go into Kona.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
SheratonKona, General Manager at Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Aloha and happy anniversary. Although we are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and many of the amenities at Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay, we are sorry for that it was not immediately known that you were celebrating such a joyous occasion. We are delighted that you enjoyed dining at Rays on the Bay. The restaurant’s chef creates unique cuisine using local Kona flavors infused with fresh produce, the freshest local seafood, poultry, Hawaii Island beef and pork. Thank you for sharing your experience with us, we hope to welcome you back soon.
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

We stayed at this Sheraton for a week in May 2013. While the hotel is at a beautiful location, it has some serious issues.

- No staff at the front desk. The three times I needed them (including for check-in) there was nobody to be found.

- The hotel is pretty dated, it's clean, but there are sections where there's plaster falling off the roof. I think they're in the midst of updating it, at least I hope so.

- Even though the hotel was pretty empty, they gave us a room on a floor that had a scheduled (!) electricity outage during our stay. Additional issue: they didn't tell us prior to the outage. When we called to complain they matter of factly stated that it was a scheduled outage and that they alerted us, which was not true.

- Don't get a room near the stairs. There are no silencers on the doors and on the weekends the place is overrun by local teenagers who like to run up and down the stairs and across the hallways (why, I do not know). The sound of slamming doors gets old really fast.

- The bathroom was not clean. There were hairs on the walls. Same hairs were there all week, and are probably still there.

- Standing water (it hadn't rained recently) on the balcony. We called for someone to clean this. We're still waiting for that person to show up.

- Bar staff is very nice, and the pool is nice. The pool can get a little busy on the weekends, as the locals come hang out there too.

- Rays on the Bay is a great restaurant, too bad it's part of this place.

There are other resorts close to this one. I cannot recommend this place in good conscience, There are too many great places to waste your money here.

I sent my list of issues to the hotel and they replied that they appreciate my feedback, and are sharing the info with the appropriate teams. After reading reviews of other guests that ran into issues, this seems to be the standard reply. It would be good, if they don't just share the feedback internally, but actually make some changes. That doesn't seem to happen though.

I also posted this review on their site.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha. Guest feedback is truly valued, from compliments to otherwise, as it gives us the opportunity to evaluate ways we can improve future experiences for our guests. Please allow us to convey our deepest apologies that your recent experience at our hotel did not meet your expectations. Be assured that your comments will be shared with the appropriate management teams. Thank you for reaching out to us and for your review.
Norman, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We like to sample different hotels, large and boutique and this is definitely a large hotel, made for families that want to get away to the Big Island. The pool and pool slide are outstanding benefits. Breakfast in the dining room is Island buffet and relaxed. The dinner option is Ray's on the Bay, which has a decent bar menu and a more varied dinner menu. This is a family resort, so do not expect the elegance of the more expensive facilities. It delivers excellent value and if you do travel with kids, they will not be bored. A special recognition to the bell and valet staff. Great attitudes and service. And, of course, be sure to see the manta rays in the water.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for your wonderful review. While the Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay strives to deliver exceptional service and accommodations, it is extremely important that our guests consider our resort to be a value as well. We are so glad that you had a great stay and enjoyed spending time at our fantasy pool with its 200-foot waterslide. Your kind remarks for our hotel and staff are greatly appreciated and we will be sure to share your comments with everyone. Please come back and see us again soon. Mahalo.

Been to Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay? Share your experiences!