I booked this hotel on a bidding site, for what I thought was a pretty good price, and was very excited about my stay. The hotel looks beautiful and has really good reviews. When I arrived, I asked about getting an ocean view room, but was told it would be an additional $40 a night, which I declined. I was handed my keys and went to my room. The room they gave me was def not 4 star quality, the furnishings looked older and there was a big hole at the bottom of my sliding glass door where bugs could easily get in and the air conditioning could get out. I live on Big Island, so I am used to the bugs, but I was just surprised see this in a 4 star hotel. When I looked at my keys, I noticed a card telling me about a $31.25/night resort fee which included parking, wireless internet, and some other services that i didn't need. I definitely found this to be incredibly high, and would have preferred the front desk telling me about it, but at that point, i was a captive audience. I did find it annoying that when I called the front desk and told them that my internet wasn't working, that they directed me to Time Warner Cable where I had to sit on hold and then move furniture to reset routers and things. If I am paying $31.25 a night for access to the internet, I expect it to work! We also had intermittent issues with our tv, which wasn't a big deal because we weren't watching it much. The room also had a kind of musty odor. Again, not a huge deal, but you expect a bit more from a 4 star hotel.
To be fair, there were some good things about the Sheraton...the common areas are really nice. The pool is great and there is plenty of seating, the coffee shop in the hotel was good and the workers were really nice. I also enjoyed watching the manta rays and the location is great for exploring this side of the island.
Overall I would expect more from a 4 star and think the resort fee is really high and a bit deceptive. You pay a price for a hotel and when you get there find out that you have to pay $31.25 a night. That could really add up over a weeks stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy the diversity of Hawaii's Big Island with family and friends at Sheraton Keauhou Bay Resort & Spa. From stargazing atop majestic Mauna Kea to tours of nearby Kona Coffee farms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Starwood, Priceline, BookIt.com and Odigeo so you can book your Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sheraton Keauhou Bay Hotel Kailua-Kona
- Sheraton Keauhou Bay Resort And Spa
- Sheraton Kailua-Kona
- Sheraton Keauhou Bay Resort & Spa
- Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa At Keauhou Bay Hawaii/Kailua-Kona