“nice and comfortable hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay

Save Saved
You added Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay to your Saves list
Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   78-128 Ehukai Street, Kailua-Kona, Island of Hawaii, HI 96740 (Formerly Sheraton Keauhou Bay Resort & Spa)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #7 of 15 hotels in Kailua-Kona
GreenLeadersSilver level
Sebastopol, California
“nice and comfortable hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I got an incredible deal for this hotel (with Pleasant Holidays), but they do charge a mandatory $30 resort fee. I'm giving 4 stars based on the price that I paid, because I feel that this is more like a 3.6 star resort.. My boyfriend and I stayed here for 7 nights. The room was a good size, and even though many complained about the bathroom, I thought it was fine (although the toilet itself is quite old, and I had to use a little bit of a force to flush the toilet, and can only do it when the toilet seat is down). Bed is the standard comfortable Sheraton beds, and the armchair is nice and cushion-y. I do wish they had an ottoman to go with it. There was a fridge, and a microwave was brought to our room after inquiring at guest services. We had a mountain view room (facing the parking lot right aove the trolley stop), but we were on the 5th floor so we couldn't see the cars, even though we can hear them quite clearly.

The pool is nice, and there are always lots of chairs to lounge on. The slide is fun but very slow.
There is a towel hut where you can borrow towels for as long as you stay at the hotel, meaning you can bring them anywhere on the island as long as you return them by the end of your stay.

We didn't have time to participate in any of the hotel activities, which we regret, but there are so much to see outside of the hotel! Just make sure to rent a car (4wd recommended!)

However, there were two incidents that upset me during my stay. 1) We had planned on a two day trip to the Volcano side of the island, leaving very early on one day, and coming back late at night on the next. I called guest services and asked if I could have my room cleaned on day one, and not on day two (since Sheraton provides a $5 voucher for declining house keeping). The lady on the phone was nice, and told me that I should go ahead and put the sign for no cleaning on the door before I leave, and that she would call the supervisor and make sure they clean my room that day. Well, when we came back from our mini-trip, our room was just as messy as we had left it. 2) Since we were gone for 2 whole days, I asked front desk if there was any way they could waive our resort fee (just for 1 day). The man working was courteous, and said he would have to ask his manager, and will get back to me (call me) with an answer. Well, I never heard from him again. I do understand if it is not possible to waive the fee, but I would have appreciated if I got a response.

Overall a nice hotel. The lobby was amazing. The restaurant has excellent mahi mahi burgers. Located right next to Manta Ray Snorkel tours. But although staff are nice and courteous, customer service needs to be more on top of it!

Room Tip: choose an ocean view room, if not, pick the highest level you can possibly get to avoid looking at c...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
SheratonKona, General Manager at Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Aloha. We would like to thank you for sharing your experience about your recent stay at Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay. Although we are glad you enjoyed dinning with us as well as our hote’s ambiance, we truly regret that you encountered a couple issues. We are very sorry that housekeeping missed your room and you did not receive a return call about the resort charge. It is always our goal to deliver exceptional guest services, so we appreciate that you have brought this to our attention. We hope that you will allow us the pleasure of welcoming you back the next time you are visiting the area and that you let us know if there is anything we can do to make your stay amazing. Mahalo.

809 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
Caloundra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

This hotel is a little out of town. It does have a shuttle bus but this runs only hourly and for limited hours. You may not need to leave the resort - the restaurants, pools and grounds are great. The sunset with waves crashing over the rocks cannot be beat and the staff were friendly and helpful.
We had transfers arranged for us in our package ( Thankyou My Hawaii ) so getting there was easy.

Room Tip: We had a mountain view room which was comfortable and spacious but I would stay in an ocean front ro...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Mahalo for sharing your impressions with us of your stay at Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay. The Keauhou Resort Trolley you mentioned is a complimentary service for our guests and does run from 9am till approximately 9:15pm and makes stops at Magic Sands Beach Park, Kailua Pier, Kona Commons Shopping Center and numerous spots in between. We are thrilled you enjoyed the views and beautiful setting that surrounds our resort. Please visit us again soon as it would be our pleasure to welcome you back.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

This is an older Sheraton, but it has been renovated since the last visit and it is well maintained. Rooms are large and if you get an ocean view room, the view can't be beat. The swimming pool surrounds the patio area, with areas for children and adults. The pool is also maintained well with the water as clean and blue as the ocean. Rooms have a small fridge which is handy. In the evenings, you can go out to the large concrete pad they have and watch the manta rays come in to feed on the plankton. That alone is worth the cost of a room. Rooms at the time of the visit could be had for $180, which is not bad for Hawaii. Parking in the lot is free, valet parking is $7 a night. All the housekeeping staff was very friendly as were the majority of all the employees. Food was a bit pricy, but everything on Hawaii is more expensive. Pork nachos were pretty tasty. On Wednesdays there is a local farmers market next to the hotel, so you can pick up tasty edibles such as fresh papayas and banana bread. The market is free and samples are free for the asking.

Room Tip: Unless you are in healthy condition, the walk from the parking lot to the hotel is a bear, so the $7...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha! Each Wednesday there is a Farmers Market on the lawn at the entrance to Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay where guests can find produce, coffee, macadamia nuts, in addition to arts and crafts; we’re delighted you enjoyed it. Your many kind comments praising our resort and staff are greatly appreciated. We hope that you will return soon for another visit as we would love to welcome you back again. Mahalo.
Newcastle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

I stayed in a standard room with a mountain view..... the room was huge and very inviting.

This hotel is amazing its in the middle of nowhere which is what i was looking for.

I only stayed here for 1 night and only used the pool facilities, i also walked around the gardens which were wonderful.
Also they have a night view of the mantras at the hotel which is amazing........

If you are going to stay in Kona this is an amazing hotel.

I paid £70 room only which is great for this 4 ***** hotel.

The nearest town is around 10 minute drive away

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
SheratonKona, General Manager at Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Mahalo for your review of the Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay. We are very glad that you enjoyed you overnight stay with us and that you had the opportunity to spend some time at the pool and strolling the hotel grounds. We greatly appreciate your compliments and hope that we can welcome you back again soon.
Redding, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this resort for three nights during the Winter Holiday and we enjoyed the hotel amenitied, the grounds, the beauiful views, the pool, and our room. We would have given the overall stay an "excellent" rating had it not been for our very unwelcoming experience upon arrival. The parking attendant (I would not call him a valet because he definitely had no public service/relations training or if he did, he either did not learn much or her chose not to apply any of it in our encounter) was extremely rude and disrespectful in his interactions with my husband and for no discernible reason, other than that we were not going to utilize the "valet service" that was an additional cost above the typical resort rate, which included self-parking. We have plenty of money to pay for valet service, but we just didn't see the need to do so when the self-parking was adjacent to the hotel and we are able-bodied adults who can magage our own luggage. This encounter was not a good way to make a first impression! Fortunately, all of our interactions with the staff at the hotel were quite the opposite. Everyone else was very freindly and helpful, truly giving us an "Aloha" welcome.

Room Tip: Upgrade to ocean front or ocean view
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha. While we are sincerely grateful that you have shared your appreciation for our amenities, grounds, accommodations and hotel staff; we are truly sorry that your interaction with the valet was not equally as impressive. We never like to read that one of our guests has experienced anything less than exceptional service; however, we are always grateful for the feedback so that we may address the issues with our managers and supervisors. The next time you are visiting the area we hope that you will allow us the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon. Mahalo.
Reno, Nevada, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

What a lovely hotel. The setting is beautiful. The pool is great for all ages. Ray's on the Bay is a perfect Hawaiian experience with waves crashing on the rugged lava, ocean views everywhere, delicious food, very nice service and reasonable prices. All employees were friendly and welcoming.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha and thank you for sharing such a lovely review for Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay. The natural atmosphere and location of Rays on the Bay offer endless ocean views, local Kona flavors infused with fresh produce and a perfect view to Keauhou’s resident giant manta rays every evening. We’re delighted you enjoyed your time with us so much and hope that you will return soon for another visit. Mahalo.
Colorado Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Once you find it (not so much signage on the main road as I expected), the lovely drive and grand entrance makes a good first impression. Very professional, and though not the newest of all possible hotels, I saw nothing that wasn't in tip-top shape.

This hotel is huge (no doubt to accommodate the conventions held in their convention center). That means that it's quite a long way to parking (and valet parking is incrementally not a very big fee; we should have tested that).

The room was quite large and included a refrigerator for our drinks and in-room coffee (10% Kona!). The bathroom was nice with a separated shower/toilet (although the toilet was far more industrial than I expected).

The hotel also has a LOT of amenities that I thought were realllly nice: gorgeous bar over the lava that is the ocean shore there, wonderful lawns and gardens (all the better for their weddings), wedding chapel, game room, workout room, two pools (one huge, one large), a slide for the pools, tennis courts, volleyball court, basketball court, and walking trails through other gardens.

The amenity we did exploit was the breakfast buffet (included in our 'deal' for the room). Breakfast was fabulous! Scrambled eggs or made-to-order omelet, bacon, sausage, pancakes or french toast (depending on the day), breakfast potatoes, three fruit juices, a variety of breads/bagels including delicious banana (nut?) bread, four different diced melons (cantaloupe, honeydew, pineapple, and watermelon), cereal, milk, and all the accompaniments (including coconut syrup).

We had but a few interactions with the staff; all were professional and met expectations. The hotel seems to be very competently managed.

This was far more hotel than we actually needed. It is a wonderful experience but for me, I'd do it differently next time unless I was on a honeymoon or had some other reason to enjoy the hotel (vs. travel around the island to see volcanoes). Be sure to buy the hotel you wish to use in order to get the best value!

Room Tip: LOTS of choices for room types: read carefully, check the price, and get the one you think you will...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Mahalo for your lovely review of the Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay. It was such a treat to read your review and learn of your appreciation for our staff, guest rooms and our amenities including the 100% Kona coffee. We’re delighted that you enjoyed the buffet breakfast at Ainakai with its selection of chilled Island juices, fresh Pacific Rim fruits and made-to-order specialty omelets. We hope that the next time you are visiting the area you will allow us the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Been to Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay? Share your experiences!