“Sad hotel in a great location” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay

You added Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay to your Saves list
Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   78-128 Ehukai Street, Kailua-Kona, Island of Hawaii, HI 96740 (Formerly Sheraton Keauhou Bay Resort & Spa)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Angeles
“Sad hotel in a great location”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I had hoped the hotel was better than most of the reviews -- had hoped that a Sheraton wouldn't be THIS sad -- but I was wrong. When I'm in Hawaii I like to snorkel, hike, enjoy the islands, then be able to come back to my hotel and find a peaceful spot to read & relax. That doesn't exist here. We've stayed at many different hotels through the years (this is our 11th trip to Hawaii) -- some nice and some not so nice -- but never at a hotel as poorly designed as this place, with a shamefully disgusting bathroom.

If your idea of relaxing is sitting by a noisy pool which could be anywhere -- then you won't mind this place. There was only one small corner (maybe 10 chairs in all) where you could actually sit by the pool and see the ocean -- but you had to listen to all the babies yelling behind you in the baby area of the pool -- and had to get there early to get chairs at this spot -- so if you go out to do something and want to come back in the afternoon, forget it.

There is no beach here, and no grounds you can sit on with a chair to look out at the ocean. The only peace I found was early in the morning I went down to their bar -- Rays on the Beach -- and could sit quietly by the ocean. We met some people staying at condos nearby who come here and do this as well. Just don't eat at Rays -- the food is terrible. The drinks are fine at Rays -- but the found that the drinks were better in the lobby bar.

While in Hawaii I always like to peacefully sit on my balcony -- but my balcony overlooked the parking lot and entry of the hotel. I don't find the sound of cars being parked, people entering and leaving the hotel peaceful.

Obviously, this hotel has problems. They seem to have partially updated it -- for instance the bathroom sink is granite but the separate tub/shower and toilet area is old, dirty and quite disgusting. But I'll start with the good parts. The location is really good. The volcano is a little under 2 hours away -- and absolutely worth the drive. This is the closest you can be in a hotel to the volcano on this side of the island. It's also a good central location. We have found hotel restaurants in Hawaii to be pretty awful and over-priced as a general rule no matter where we stay. We relied on Yelp and found some good places to eat nearby. There is an empty refrigerator in the rooms which we filled with fruit and yogurts etc. from the nearby market. The people in the hotel as a general rule are nice.

I paid for an ocean view room and got a mountain view/parking lot view which they called a partial ocean view because you could see a slice of the ocean from over the ugly roof of the lobby when you stood on the balcony. I was told we had no other options, that this was the only room available to us. Period. They would put me on top of the list should an ocean view become available. I waited two days then asked to speak with the manager. I had pre-paid through a Hawaiian Airlines package for an ocean view -- so I had to ask for an adjustment, which could only be to have the daily $25 additional resort fee waived, which they did. She also threw in one breakfast buffet. But I had to ask for this adjustment -- it was not offered. I suspect I was put in this room because I had pre-paid -- they said (derisively) through Orbitz -- but I paid through Hawaiian Airlines, didn't know it was Orbitz. Guess they don't like it if you buy from Orbitz.

When I was checking out I heard another person complaining that the hotel didn't give them the room they reserved. Clearly we weren't an isolated case -- though perhaps they just treat the pre-paid guests this way?

I realize we were staying at the hotel at the busiest time of the year -- and I did read the reviews before we left and did lower my expectations. But this toilet/shower room (the sink is outside this) is as bad as the one at the Motel Six I had to stay at once years ago. Bubbly cracked drywall around the dirty, filthy grout, filthy tub, old gas station-style toilet, lime crusted shower head with no water pressure. Gross. Some of the bathrooms must be better. Maybe they save these rooms for the pre-paid guests?

So the room, relatively speaking, was not that expensive for this time of the year -- because I pre-paid through Hawaiian Airlines. Then what am I complaining about? I'm complaining because I thought I was getting an ocean view and a hotel where I could relax and enjoy Hawaii. The only way to enjoy the Big Island -- and it's a wonderful place -- is to leave this hotel. I heard that the nearby Outrigger (I think) was being torn down. This one should be next.

Room Tip: Since they didn't give me the ocean view room I had booked -- it clearly doesn't matter what...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
SheratonKona, General Manager at Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Your feedback is welcomed, however it is disappointing your stay was not as you had hoped. Although we try to accommodate the requests of our guests, there are times when it is not possible and we are truly sorry that we were unable to move you to an ocean view room. We were glad to hear that despite your concerns, you still enjoyed our location and found our staff to be friendly. Thank you for sharing your impressions with us as it allows us to evaluate any areas that may require additional attention. Mahalo.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (372)
  • Indonesian first
Petaluma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We just returned from a 5 day, 4 night stay at the property and have mixed feelings about the property...

Overall the staff was very nice and accommodating. When our room, promised for 3pm, was not ready until nearly 4 they waived the daily resort fee for our stay. A couple of the snacks from the pool bar were less than appetizing and they removed them from the bill without any fuss. The location is beautiful however there isn't much to do at/near the property. We had an ocean view room and it was AMAZING. A note of caution though, if there is high surf you can forget about sleeping. We happened to be there during a huge pacific swell and every wave that crashed into the hotel was heard and felt. All. Night. Long. The other comments about the loud hallways are accurate.

There is one restaurant option (Ray's), well technically there is the buffet but outside of breakfast you are eating at your own risk. It was never crowded and we were advised on day one to avoid it. Breakfast was actually really good there, nice buffet and they make fresh eggs/omlettes so you can't really go wrong. Rays is good BUT they rush you through your meal. We didn't have a car so were stuck there for 4 nights and every night we left our table feeling like we were pushed out of there. The food is good; not great.

This would be a great property for a family with kids. The pool is nice, get a cabana it's worth it, and they have a great entertainment room.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Mahalo for your review detailing your recent stay with us. It’s disappointing that there were several aspects of your visit that were not as you had anticipated but your feedback is appreciated. We were however happy to learn how much you enjoyed the breakfast buffet and we appreciate your kind comments with regard to our staff. The next time you are visiting the area we hope that you will allow us the pleasure of welcoming you back again.
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Stayed at this property for about a week on our vacation to Kona. We had an ocean front room on the northern end of the property. The ocean view was nice and you could hear the waves crash. The room itself was very basic. The full size bath towels are small and cheap.

Don't try to order anything from the room service if you actually expect to get what you ordered. In the week that we were there, everytime we ordered something (as basic as coffee and toast) there was ALWAYS something missing. from Jam, to a spoon for your coffee or sometimes the place settings. They are not very apologetic about it either! very "aloha" this is the islands kinda attitude.

Also if you are a light sleeper and actually would like to sleep in on your vacation, this is not the hotel for you. The outside corridor to all hotel rooms are concrete (not carpet like most hotels) and you can hear the house keeping carts being rolled around at all times of the day and night. You will hear it from down the hall and it will vibrate the entire room. They start as early as 7 am and go as late as 11ish at night.

The concierge doesn't go out of their way to help you find the best spots on the Island, not that they don't want to, but mostly they employ what seems to be college students who have no idea where the good dining spots are. We were encouraged to go to Macaroni Grill for a romantic dinner! Get yourself a book on the Island and you will do fine on your own.

Rays on the Bay is their main restaurant and has great food and an amazing view of the water in the evenings with live music. This place was the highlight of our stay at this resort.

Also if you are staying here, I highly recommend renting a cabana by the pool for the whole day (50 bucks) to have shade and comfort.

All in all, they are not professional when it comes to running a hotel. but its ok! We found ourselves spending a lot of time at other resorts for meals and entertainment. The Hilton and Marriot are both much nicer.

Make sure you have a car if you are going to stay here otherwise you will be bored to death. Rent at the airport and drive yourself down to the hotel.

Room Tip: For a good night of sleep ask for a room in the carpeted area of the hallways.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Aloha and thank you for your feedback. Our guest’s experiences are extremely important to us and although we are disappointed to learn about the inconveniences you encountered, we appreciate that you have alerted us to them. We are very sorry for the issues with room service and that we were unable to meet your expectations. We hope that you will give us another try in the future.
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

the hotel has a nice view from lobby and one can enjoy watching the manta rays at night from the balcony.
the room was clean and nice ocean view partiallly obstructed by slide.
the water slide does not work ,very little water flow.
the wifi does not work in the hotel 2 of 3 days.
the manta rays restaurant made you wait for over 1 hour though there were several tables empty,maybe have small kitchen and cannot take the load on a busy evening.The food and service was good.
On one day they did not have fresh towels in room after cleaning till late in evening.was informed high demand,I would think the hotel will have a count for tyhe rooms they have occupied.
the gym was good. and had good equipment.
The concierge was very helpful in trying to help us see the island and do activities the least expensive way.
he informed us there was no flow lava at volcano into the ocean saving on expensive helicopter and boating trips.

Room Tip: avoid booking ocean view and ask oceanfront if you want to spend the money for it.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Aloha and thank you for your review detailing your recent stay with us. We value all feedback positive or otherwise and will use this opportunity to strengthen our commitment to providing the best in service to each and every guest. We hope that on your next trip to the area you will allow us the pleasure of welcoming you back and that you will let us know if there is anything we can do to make your stay even more enjoyable.
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Good location and nice enough staff, but if the rooms were just renovated, I would hate to have seen it before they were done. The lobby has a great view as does Rays on the Bay, but otherwise the place is looks run down and the rooms seem to be falling apart. We had an oceanfront room and the view was beautiful. However, the rooms (we had 2 connecting) did not look like they had been renovated since the 70's and we spent a lot of time getting things fixed - not what we expected at a hotel that Starwood advertises as being newly renovated. In particular, the WiFi in the room did not work after the first day and the router had to be reset continuously in order to use it, the bathrooms - designed with public toilet type fixtures - were mildewed and had clogged drains and the shower head was broken in one of our two rooms. the same room with the broken shower head also had no bath towels when we checked in. After calling twice, we had to walk to the front desk to ask for towels. Generally, we found that if we called the operator nothing would happen - we had to go to the front desk and ask in person before we got any response. When we did that, we would get a prompt response and all of the staff were nice enough - obviously the issues we had were not their fault. But who wants to spend vacation time on that? The location was good - in between the Kohala Coast and the Volcano so we had a central spot from which to explore. However, we did have bad weather a couple of days and being in the rooms - given their condition and issues - was not fun. On the plus side, as mentioned above, the location was good for us and the waves were amazing. There's no beach here, which - like another reviewer mentioned - was inconvenient. Also, room service is not 24 hours and when I inquired about having something ready at 6am to take with us, I kept getting told that the first order was at 6am. After persistently explaining that I needed something before then, the front desk tried to transfer me to someone else but just ended up disconnecting the call and I gave up. If you are looking for luxury and great service, this is not the place. If you want a central crash pad, that's what you can get here - albeit an expensive one. I am a member of the Starwood preferred guest program and try to be loyal, but I won't be back to this property and can't recommend it.

Room Tip: If you decide to stay here (and I would not recommend it), get an ocean front room. The waves are e...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
It is upsetting for us to learn about the inconveniences you encountered on your recent stay; please accept our apologies. We regret that your accommodations did not meet your expectations however we value your feedback and will pass along your comments to our management team. Thank you for sharing your story, we hope that you will give us another try in the future.
Seoul, South Korea
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Location, facility... everything was good during my stay except one thing.

On my 3rd day, I came back after stargazing in Mauna Kea.
It was about 10pm.

I happened to find a SMS about charging over 100 dollars.
Couldn't understand what it meant, so I asked it to staff in the front.

She answered it charged my dinner at the restaurant.
But the SMS was sent about 8pm and my wife and me were gazing stars in Mauna Kea at that time.

There was no receipt with my sign but she asked me "Didn't you have dinner?"
Even after I said "NO", she said "Ok. You don't have to swear."
And asked again "But didn't you have dinner?"

She never said "I'm sorry" even once.
She just said "If you don't use anything, it will be cancelled".

After coming back to my room, I got the other SMS about another 100 dollars charge!

When I checked out, the 1st charge turned out to be the room service of other room
and the 2nd one was about the deposit for the 1st one.

What if I didn't find the SMS message?

And I understand there will be mistakes everywhere.
But the problem is staff's ATTITUDE!
She seemed to say "What's a big deal?"

IF YOU GONNA STAY HERE, YOU SHOULD BE READY FOR "BROAD-MINDED" STAFF.
IF YOU STAYED HERE, YOU SHOULD CHECK THE AMOUNT OF MONEY WHEN YOU CHECK-OUT!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
SheratonKona, General Manager at Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
We are sincerely sorry about the mix up you encountered and the manner in which it was handled. It is our hope to provide all our guests with exceptional service and should we learn of any inconsistencies, we are always eager to address them promptly. The next time you are visiting the area, we hope that you will allow us the pleasure of welcoming you back again. Mahalo.
Anacortes, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

The renovation of the Sheraton Kona is superb! You will not miss the crowded sandy beaches of O'ahu as you explore the lush inviting pool that meanders throughout the entire resort complex, connected by little and big water slides and a grotto. I made a point every day to enjoy it. I even did the big Manta Ray slide, and you can swim until 8 pm. Jacuzzis are open til 10 pm, I believe.

The rooms are clean, modern and have an island feel to them. All amenities in room worked well during my stay. Parking: valet parking is extra, and regular parking is far enough away to make some consider it, but I found shortcuts on the property that got me to my room faster. Breakfast is great if you have it included in your package; otherwise, it's pricey. The morning buffet with omelette bar was tasty, and had fresh fruit, juice, rice, cereal, etc. I had dinner at Rays on the Bay twice, and i enjoyed the view as much as the meals.

Lots of wildlife on the property: manta rays, sea turtles, feral cats (under the restaurant, of course), weasels, and also a great variety of flowers and plant life.

I can't wait to go back again - I wish it was right now!

Room Tip: Choose the Sunny Poolside ocean front rooms to enjoy views of the waterslide pool area, sunsets over...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Been to Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay? Share your experiences!