“Decent accommodations, but might choose elsewhere in the future” 3 of 5 stars
Review of WorldMark, Kona

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kailua-Kona
WorldMark, Kona
Alii Drive, Kailua-Kona, Island of Hawaii, HI   |
Los Angeles, CA
“Decent accommodations, but might choose elsewhere in the future”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

Don't get me wrong, this is a totally respectable Worldmark property (imo). The setup is your typical Worldmark, as others have stated, so you should find everything where you think it is if you've stayed in a Worldmark before. This property is maybe not as up to par with others, but when we were there, they were in the process of updating the appliances to white ones (our unit had just been updated recently). It was also said that they are looking at updating the wicker furniture at some point as well. There are only a handful of units that have a view of the ocean from your balcony - these would be the units on the ends (and possibly just in from the ends) of the back building (upper floors). The front building rooms' balconies face toward the pool or back of the property, but upper floors will have something of an ocean view from the front bedroom window.

This is a smaller property, just across the street from the ocean, but you will need to walk a block or so either way to find access to the water. I say access, since you can get to the water, but the shore is rocky here and you may not necessarily want to get in. There are places nearby with small stretches of beach, though, that might be more inviting (just a little further). Our unit was clean and ready ahead of the 3p check-in time, which was nice since we arrived in town around noon. Service was friendly, and we were apprised of the upcoming morning presentation that would tell us about the activities and sights of possible interest we might want to explore during our stay. The property has a concierge service and Expedia Local Expert that has access to various activities and will book them for you. Our expert gave us some good advice and shared her favorite restaurants (which we enjoyed as well).

Note for families:
It's a BIG Island! If you are traveling with small children that will be in carseats and/or get fussy after a an hour or so, I would caution you to consider your plans with that in mind. There are some great beaches on this side of the island, and they are not that far away (15-30min or so). If that is your focus you are good. If you have big plans to hit Hilo, see Waip'io Valley, Hawi, or Volcanoes Nat'l Park, know that it will take a good chunk of the day just driving to and from these things (2+ hours one way sometimes). Sometimes, even a half hour in the car can be hard if little ones are hungry or overly excited.

Elevation:
On any hwy, you can expect elevation shifts (some quite dramatic) as you drive around the island. We avoided the saddle road, due to 2 of us having problems with our ears readjusting so many times in one day.

Back to the Worldmark:
Despite having ceiling fans, we found we often needed to use the A/C units and they were fairly noisy, but worked well. The pool area was clean, and we made use of that on several occasions, as well as the bbq area (I believe there were 4 bbqs). Parking is a little tight, but we had no problem getting a space each night. If it were a more busy time, I would think you could have trouble parking. The quiet hours were generally observed by most, and we only experienced excess noise on one occasion close to 10p.

We had an issue with a support on one of the sofas sticking out (broken), and called maintenance. They came and promptly fixed the problem, as we were concerned for our little one possibly getting hurt. The dishwasher also leaked once, but was fine after that (user error?).

Overall, I gave this place a 3, though it's probably more of a 3.5. No extras, like the on-site activities we've experienced at the Worldmark in Kihei. The shopping district is nice and fairly close (about 1 mile), but a little far to walk with little ones unless you plan to carry them halfway. We chose to drive, but parking can be a problem depending on day and time. This Worldmark is a little scruffy, and in the process of being updated. It is, however, clean, and we saw no cockroaches there (or anywhere else, for that matter). Everything worked, and we had no issues with changing out towels, getting maintenance, or booking activities. I would consider going elsewhere if visiting again to get a nicer pool area, more upgraded accommodations, location closer to/with a sandy beachfront. I realize this would most likely cost us more, but we discovered our preferences when visiting beaches near/at resorts in the north during our visit (Mauna Lani, Waikoloa, etc.).

Room Tip: Higher floors with provide the best chance for an ocean view in the front building, or the end units...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

28 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Puyallup
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

Last minute plans, we got a 2 bedroom/ 2 bathroom ground floor unit. Comfortable unit with usual WM amenities. King sized bed in MB and 2 twins in second, plus a murphy bed. It was just the two of us so we only needed the MB. Living area furniture a bit overcrowded for the space so if several people staying there, could be a bit crowded, but worked for us, plus I idon't think you go to Hawaii to stay in your condo! Staff were great. They have an Expedia rep there and she was extremely helpful in advising for tours. I know, she is SELLING tours, still, her presentation was excellent and made the process of signing up for tours easy. Only one real problem with the condo. We could hear EVERYTHING that went on upstairs .not words...but sounds. At risk of being too indelicate..we knew more about what was happneing in the bedroom than we wanted to know... otherwise, excellent place. One more thing, no view of ocean, but easy to get to. Pool area one of the best WM we have seen.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Beaverton, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

Typical Worldmark set-up. This one is near town so an easy walk. It's also near a beach for watching sunsets. The facility itself is adequate but has no real views. The staff was acceptable but not awesomely helpful.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Hawaiian Beaches, Hawaii, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

my family of 4 stayed at the WorldMark for 12 nights and i have mixed reviews!
happy to report that the grounds were kept neat and roach free!
i asked to change rooms, because lack of natural light in the bedroom in units close to elevator.
location is very nice, you can walk right into kailua kona.
activity staff by the pool was very friendly and helpful.
bathrooms do not have windows! (all bathrooms should have fresh air!)
pool itself was clean, the hot tub and kids pool was very sandy and needed vacumed on a daily basis.
i did get stuck in the elevator twice, which the staff seemed to not say or do much.
disappointed in cleaning ladies....we changed rooms and left a item on the floor in the closet and it wasnt returned before the next guests moved into that room. cant be sure if the staff or the new guests took it but someone was a thief. surely if the maids were doing there job correctly i would have gotten back my item. this to was easily not discussed and brushed off.

Room Tip: front building you can see the ocean!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Honolulu
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

Kona worldmark is showing it's age a little, but is still a quality place to stay. The rooms were clean, plenty of towels, good appliances and furnishings. Plus it is only half a mile South of the main strip (Alii Drive) in Kailua-Kona, so there's plenty of restaurants just a short drive or walk away.

I only stayed a few days this time and last time I was here almost 10 years ago, we stayed a little longer. I stay in a lot of other places when I come to the Big Island (since I live in Honolulu on Oahu) but mostly on the Hilo side.

One huge complaint I have about this stay is that when I go to a time share on vacation I don't want to be bothered by sales presentations. I'm already a member -- I don't want an update or a special discount card or 3 phone calls inviting me to a presentation. I am not interested. Stop bothering me! I don't think Wyndham taking over Trendwest was a great idea to begin with and I think all it has done is devalue my points in the entire system. Thanks.

Room Tip: Stay away from the elevators, it gets noisy with the master bedroom up front.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

We stayed here for one week and had so much fun! I booked all our activities through Rebecca of Expedia , she's very knowledgeable and gives you great and honest advice for the things you want to do.

The two bedroom suite was perfect for our family. We enjoyed the swimming pool every night but our kids were disappointed that they can only swim until 9p.m. What's up with that rule? They should let them swim until 10 or until closing. There is nothing wrong with kids swimming with older people. It's actually great family affair to have kids swim with older citizens.

Room Tip: There are no ocean views here.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2011

I just got back from spending a week at the Kona Worldmark. My husband and I were pleasantly surprised by our 2 bebdroom condo. The rooms were spacious with all the ammenities, including a blender that we used nightly to make drinks. Obviously, this is not a luxury time share, but nothing was in disrepair. The pool and hot tub were nice and both were large enough to use anytime of day. I will definitely stay here again!

Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to WorldMark, Kona? Share your experiences!