The condos themselves are in need of work. We had the two bedroom unit. The kitchen is very old; untensils, cookware, etc. worked but could do with some replacement and upgrade. The bathroom shower enclosure was falling apart in the master bedroom; you really had to push to close the door. We were hoping to check in early and although we did not expect a noon check in, thought 2pm would be reasonable. We were told that we would probably be accomodated and then upon querying the front desk later in the day, were told to stop asking and that to come back at 4pm. It would have been nice to just be told about the 4pm in the first place; why crush someone's hopes? There was also an attempt to try to get you to listen to a time share conversation with the promise of discounts at local restaurants and attractions, but we were not interested.
We were asked if we would like a suite with 2 kings or a king and 2 twins. We preferred the 2 kings only to find a suite with 2 twins. Again, why even ask if you had no intention of meeting the request. The linens was ok -- the mattress in the king room was old and should be replaced (lots of jiggle room). The twin beds were in good shape. There were plenty of towels and the units were kept quite clean.
The location is also very good. We liked the proximity to the airport as well as to grocery stores and restaurants. The closest beach is a bit of a disappointment though. It is a ways down the road, but parking is difficult and the beach was not very big. The marina is down the road (within walking distance) and also an area where you can take a dip. I saw some snorkellers there and from shore we did see fish and a turtle in the marina.
The parking was indeed underground or above depending on your preference. It was nice to be underground given the heat of the day. The pools were plentiful and the water was nice. The pools were however also in need of some repair -- the paint at the bottom of the pools had peeled away and the surfaces could do with some aesthetic work. There were not a large number of users for the pools so seating was not a problem.
On our last night, there was a "king" spider (about the size of a side plate) in the upstairs. Luckily one of the members of our party was not afraid of giant spiders and disposed of the visitor. We asked at the front desk about the pest and were told that the property had just been sprayed for the pests and that it was not uncommon for the giant spiders to appear after a spraying. I guess it is comforting that they spray but still very alarming that we saw one.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With a stunning coastal view of Keauhou Bay’s private harbor, the Holua Resort at Mauna Loa Village invites you to enjoy your perfect Hawaiian vacation. The Holua Resort offers 73 spacious, air-conditioned villas designed with a Hawaiian flair. Each comfortable villa offers a private lanai or patio with ocean, mountain or golf course view. Step outside your door and enjoy eight sparkling swimming pools and whirlpools, 11 world-class tennis courts, a fitness facility, and even on-site activities. When you’re ready to explore your spectacular surroundings, head out to sea for some of the best sport fishing in the Pacific. Surf crystalline tropical waters in the morning and snow-ski on breathtaking Mauna Kea in the afternoon. From fascinating sights and spectacular natural beauty to endless recreation, the best of the "Big Island" welcomes you Holua Resort at Mauna Loa Village for your next romantic getaway, family vacation or golf trip to Hawaii. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Tingo, BookingOdigeoWL, Despegar.com, Priceline, Agoda and Venere so you can book your Holua Resort at The Mauna Loa Village reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holua Resort At The Mauna Loa Village Hotel Kailua-Kona
- Holua Hotel Kailua Kona
- Holua Resort Mauna Loa Village
- Holua Resort At The Mauna Loa Village Hawaii/Kailua-Kona