“True Aloha” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Holua Resort at The Mauna Loa Village

You added Holua Resort at The Mauna Loa Village to your Saves list
Holua Resort at The Mauna Loa Village
3.5 of 5 Villa   |   78-7190 Kaleiopapa Street, Kailua-Kona, Island of Hawaii, HI 96740   |
Hotel deals
GreenLeadersBronze level
San Leandro, California
“True Aloha”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

I'm still amazed at the quality of the service I have received here (I'm at the end of a week long stay here at the Holua Resort.) I arrived here a day early, completely without realizing it, and when I tried to check in, the desk staff helped me figure out what had happened. Sure enough, I checked my confirmation, and I had arrived early.

They found a one-night room for me (my reserved one-bedroom apt was still occupied) and reassured me that I wasn't an idiot. That was nice of them, especially since I had done an idiotic thing. They made my problem their problem and took care of a frazzled woman who should have taken her vacation sooner, obviously!

So I've stayed in both the one and two bedroom units here. The twos are a bit strange: living areas upstairs, bedrooms downstairs. I preferred the one br, which was a perfect set up for me (a single) or for a couple or a couple with small children. The living room couch folds out to a bed, there are TV's in both rooms, and so on. The kitchen is amazingly well equipped, with the expected full set of dishes and flatware but also such locally appropriate amenities as a rice cooker.

The units I stayed in were clean, well-appointed, and comfortable. The decor was attractive and bright, and everything was well-maintained.

I did not make use of the concierge to make local reservations, but I watched him work with people and he's great.

There was a pool convenient to my room. One thing I particularly liked was that instead of one large pool for the whole place, there are several smaller ones.

The location is terrific, especially for those who like Hawaiiana. Keahou Bay is nearby, a historic location with many old Hawaiian sites and wonderful snorkeling. If you are interested in the nightlife of Kailua-Kona, though, you'll want to stay closer in to town. There are many good restaurants nearby here, with many choices of cuisine and price range.

I loved it here, and I'll be back. More than anything, the kind aloha I received at the front desk when I wandered in here made me a fan forever.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms are nearby parking, but others are quieter. It's a tradeoff. Also, if you hav...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Airdrie, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

After much research we ended up staying at this resort for 10 nights. We stayed in the 2 bedroom condo which actually ended up having 2 ½ baths. The condo is huge – the bedrooms are located on the main floor with the laundry facilities and the second floor is the living room, kitchen and ½ bath.

The place was clean but very run down and old. All of the fixtures were from the 80’s and in the bathrooms were definitely in need of repairs and upgrades.

The resort grounds are beautiful and are kept in immaculate condition – they should use some of the manpower to get the inside of the condos redone.

There were 8 pools on-site and when we first checked in the few pools that we looked at were dirty and cloudy. Spoke to the front desk about it and they mentioned that they had considerable complaints about the pools and that they were being scheduled for chemical treatment.

The staff was extremely friendly and very helpful. Kudos to Beth, who runs the Activity desk. Really nice lady and she really makes everyone feel welcome and I appreciated her time for answering all of my questions about Hawaii. Our kids enjoyed all of the crafts that we signed them up for – our only regret was that we didn’t do it sooner! We really enjoyed our time with Beth and the crafts – we would have signed up for more!

This resort has so much potential it’s a shame that they don’t put some money into it. In my opinion the rates are extremely cheap and I would pay more if the condos were upgraded and modernized.

Really enjoyed the Big Island and when I return I probably won’t return to this resort.

San Diego, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

With such a cheap price we can have a whole 1bd unit! Large living room, kitchen, bedroom, bathroom, lanai, much better than what I live right now lol. Quiet! We have a very very good night sleep. Close to other popular spots around Kona like beaches, Ali'i Drive. Good location.

The service overall is good. Help us carry luggage from parking lot to our unit. Very kind to show us when check in/check out. Can borrow many board games from them.

Only thing I want to complain is check out time is 10am... too early that I don't have enough time to enjoy their unit.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Kitimat, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

We booked the " Green " promotion. Got great value for the price. The gardens were well maintained, lots of flowers and plants, lots of swimming pools. The room was very bright and had that tropical feel. Well set up kitchen, big living room, big bedrooms and bathrooms and two lanais. What really stood out was the attention by the staff especially at the front desk (Brandi) and the concierge (Shawn). I mentioned that I had an issue with my car and before I knew it, they had the car rental company on the phone to solve my problem. Great service!

san ramon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

We booked it over phone. This is one of the best place to stay. Great Room, Super Clean, quiet, next to pool, easily accessible,great balcony.

Well, There is no downside to this resort.

Highly recommended.

Philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

Nicely manicured grounds greet you as you enter the resort. Beautiful colors everywhere you look. I made an exchange with Interval International to stay at this resort. Upon checking in, I was told that they did not have a reservation for me. I presented the confirmation letter from II with the the pertinent information. They were unable to locate my reservation so I suggest confirming before you leave home. The lady at the desk was very accommodating and found us an available one bedroom (king bed). I requested an ocean view and she accommodated. I was very pleased with how this resort handled the error. Our one bedroom unit was lovely. The long lanai had a beautiful ocean view. Pool towels were in the unit, the kitchen was well equiped and the bed was quite comfortable. The next day, 2 robes and a box of candy were delivered to our unit. A complimentary newspaper was delivered each morning. The 8 pools and hot tubs were well maintained. The concierge was friendly. Since this is part of a timeshare, they did push sitting through a 90 minute presentation at one of their new sister resorts. The front desk will supply coolers with ice, beach chairs, umbrella, etc. for a small fee. Bathroom could use new caulking. Staff was very friendly.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Santa Barbara, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

We booked using the "Green" promotion where you can save money by opting out of daily cleanings. This was perfect or us as I don't see the need to have my room cleaned daily. They will still come by and give you fresh towels if needed. We ended up with essentially a one bedroom apartment with a balcony, very large. The grounds were lovely. The pool is just average but I wasn't surprised since it looked the same on the website. The front desk staff were nice and helpful. If you want to save some $ on tourist stuff you can go to the timeshare presentation. The concierge will sign you up, just know that they are pretty salesy. Discounts aren't that deep for just two people, probably more worth it if you're traveling with a family. Just know that you have to drive everywhere from here, except you can walk to the Sheraton in 5 min for dinner.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Holua Resort at The Mauna Loa Village? Share your experiences!