“Some of the best copy I have ever had” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #53 of 234 Restaurants in Kailua-Kona
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
Description: We are a popular coffeehouse attracting locals and visitors, serving award-winning Kona coffee, incredible espresso drinks and a light breakfast with fresh exotic tropical fruit. Sit with your feet in the sand next to the water watching turtles, reef fish, and spinner dolphins at play. We grow, roast and process our coffee from farm to cup. Free wi-fi and computer available.
Scio, Oregon
“Some of the best copy I have ever had”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Their 3 stone coffee is absolutely wonderful. Very friendly staff. The owner is fun to talk to. Very good breakfasts. Excellent oceanside seating.I look forward to coming here every trip to Kona.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Andrea P, Manager at Java on the Rock, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
We appreciate your enjoyment of the coffeehouse!! I will let the staff and Bruce know- they love feedback. Yeahhhh Three Stone does rock!!

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii, United States
“Fruit Fiesta And Lox and Bagel Rocked”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

My husband and I enjoy Java on the Rock for the coffee and view, but recently we tried the fruit platter and lox and bagel plate. We enjoyed them immensely and both were PLENTY of food. If you love tropical fruit and want to savor a variety, get the fruit platter. There was enough lox on the other plate to completely fill each side of the bagel that we shared. Wanted to point this out for people looking for a tasty breakfast, but who may be a on budget.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Julie- we appreciate you as one of our local regulars!! We get to see you all the time. Mahalo nui for your appreciation!!
“expensive food served on paper plates”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Don't do it! For the privilege of eating breakfast with your feet in the sand, overlooking the ocean, you will pay far too much for average to below-average food, abysmal service (counter service only, and I use the term service loosely here) and--to top it off--food is served on paper plates. Are you kidding me? My first thought upon seeing our breakfast was, "thirty-five dollars for this?" To be fair, my half-papaya with yogurt & granola was okay, but definitely not worth the feeling of being shafted.

Visited July 2013
Bruce C, Owner at Java on the Rock, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
I would very much appreciate some specific and clear observations about what you did not like about the food and service. I enlarged the picture of your papaya nest and it looks like you received a nice big half of a locally-grown rainbow papaya fully loaded with our high-quality yogurt and granola. It would help me to know what you did not like about the eggs. We use fresh ingredients and cook each order individually.
Yes, we do use paper plates. We are a coffeehouse first and foremost and because of our limited kitchen facilities we have not yet figured out a way to wash dishes, other than mugs for drinks and silverware.
Our prices reflect our cost of doing business. We raised prices last year to meet our expenses including a well-paid staff, excellent sanitation in our kitchen, quality food and a high-priced location.
Again, you did not say what you didn't like about the counter service. A specific comment would give me understanding. Our staff is trained (extensively) to orient people to the menu, take the order and have people wait at the end of the counter for drinks before going to their table. Many people have commented to us about the efficiency of our counter system. I would be happy to hear specific comments if you'd like to email me at: info@javaontherock.com
Aloha, Andrea Pro, owner
Antwerp, Belgium
“Best breakfast ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

One of the best places ever where I had breakfast!! Love it!

Try the fruit or the eggs. Just good. Also the friendly staff is a plus.

Ask for the code to get free wifi.

• Visited August 2013
Bruce C, Owner at Java on the Rock, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Mahalo nui! Glad you liked our fresh and healthy breakfast. We scramble each order of eggs using a specially designed espresso machine that makes them fluffy with no added fat. This is a great time of year for local exotic fruit. Whenever possible we put yummy local dragonfruit, starfruit and joboticaba on our fruit plates.
port
“SmartAss Service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

If you like being insulted first thing in the morning, give this barista a try. Great food and drinks are incredible. Home baked goods and the location can not be beat. The gal was very pleasant, the guy was a jerk. The guy is probably the owner and needs to find someone else to deal with the public that can be tolerant of ignorant visitors.

Visited July 2013
Bruce C, Owner at Java on the Rock, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
First, thank you so much for your comments on the high quality of our drinks and food. To respond to your issue~ yes, Bruce can be a smartass. Without knowing what happened it’s a bit challenging to know how to respond but I'm guessing you encountered his unorthodox humor. Bruce will razz a total stranger as if he were talking to an old friend. I have on occasion cringed at some of his teasing and jokes. And yet, having grown up in a big rowdy family, it's a form of communication I can roll with.. I'm really sorry it didn't work for you. It probably took you by surprise and didn't fit your idea of respectful customer relations. Bruce's interactions have built a base of customers that are like friends and family at the coffeehouse. Again, I'm sorry you didn't appreciate his humor, some people don't.