“Some Good Experiences .. Some Bad ... Especially Aloha Fridays (AVOID ENTIRELY)” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Kona Coast Resort

You added Kona Coast Resort to your Saves list
Kona Coast Resort
3.5 of 5 Condominium   |   78-6842 Alii Drive, Kailua-Kona, Island of Hawaii, HI 96740   |
Hotel deals
GreenLeadersSilver level
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

The Bad ... first room in unit 20 on the second floor ... had such an odor (son and husband said it smelled like urine). I couldn't tell because I was exhausted from the 15 hr. flights. Went to the service desk, compained and gave us another room in another unit, 16-202. This unit was much better. No odor. Decor was great and the lanai faced the golf course. However, around 7:30 every morning, the family in the unit above us, would wake us up with their opening of drawers and running. . After 2 days, finally complained to the front desk and they called security to address the issue. Fortunately, the guy was leaving the next morning. Ask for a unit on the third floor, probably wouldn't hear all the noise. Also, stay away from Aloha Fridays, the onsite restaurant. Ate there the following morning. (wanted breakfast, but waitress said it was too late for that). Husband wanted something on the menu and waitress said they were out of it. I opted for a chicken wrap (which was supposed to have grilled chicken, romaine lettuce, caesar dressing and croutons). When the wrap came, after several bites, didn't taste the chicken. Opened it up and wow! No chicken!!! All it contained was a few croutons and a lot of romaine lettuce. All at the "bargain price" of $12.9!!! Which ticked me off to no end. Called the waitress over, showed her the sandwich and she made all kinds of excuses, like they were out of chicken, but that the cook would make me some. Meanwhile, I'm sitting there with a sandwich basically consisting of lettuce sitting in front of me. She comes back and says that the cook is marinating the chicken. Returns a few minutes later and says she's bringing me the chicken to put in my sandwich. Told her by now that the wrap is saturated with the dressing and that I wanted a new sandwich made, with the grilled chicken inside of it. Ten minutes later, comes back with a new sandwich, about 1/2 the size of the original one. Guess the first order they tried to con me into thinking there was chicken? Went to reach for the original sandwich to get more romaine lettuce out of it, but she grabs it and takes it away. Looked inside and saw that there wasn't grilled chicken, but a few pieces of fried chicken cut up. And this for $11.95! What a rip off. By now disgusted with the entire matter and vowed never to return to this rip off of a restaurant. However, did want to say that my son enjoyed his burger that he ordered there. But the chicken wrap incident left such a bad taste in my mouth no pun intended), that we vowed never to eat there again. And didn't.

Also my son said the main pool was cold. Not heated? You also have to drive about a mile to the beach (Magic Sands) or 30 minutes to one of the nicer beaches (Hapuna)

The Good ... did not get charged for A/C, but there were several people checking in that did. I think it had something to do with the website (suntrips.com) that we used to book the package. Loved the fact that housekeeping was included. Usually when we stay at condos, it's not. Loved that all I had to do was call down for extra towels or have the room cleaned at our convenience. Many times we were still asleep when housekeeping came and seeing the Do Not Disturb sign on the door, left a card asking us to call down when convenient for service. When we had a problem with the people above us, they did their best to resolve the issue. All in all, a very spacious room for the price we paid.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
Newport News, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

My husband and I just returned from our Hawaii vacation, and we spent one week at the Kona Coast Resort II. Our room was very clean and neatly prepared for our arrival, with plenty of towels to use and supplies for our kitchen. We even received a free bag of Kona coffee to drink during our stay, which was gone very quickly as we are avid coffee drinkers. We were lucky to have a bottom floor room with a large lanai outside that was facing the golf course/ocean, so our view was SPECTACULAR! My husband is physically disabled, and much to our delight, they not only had an accessible room but also an accessible shower with a shower chair stool (a real roll-in, not a combo shower/tub like most hotels and even resorts tend to have). This was very helpful for us and helped to make our stay much more pleasant. I wish we could have spent more time there at the resort, but we had booked several activities a day and so we did not spend much time there. We did, however, take advantage of a few hotel activities--a few of the really fun leis-making classes and one of the pools. I really loved the pool and hot tub! It had an excellent view, and when we went there in the morning (before 10 AM), we had the place practically to ourselves.

The only drawback is, of course, the fact that you have to pay extra for air conditioning. I knew about this ahead of time and warned my husband, so neither of us were too disappointed. The hotel was willing to let us add AC later in our trip if we wanted it, and that helped us. We tried it without the AC for one night, and we were fine, so we decided not to get it--and I'm glad we saved that money! We did come from a huge heatwave in Virginia, so temperatures of early 70s at night was a huge relief to us, anyway. I do think that if we had spent more time in the resort room itself, we would have wanted AC--so you have to decide based on what you're doing during your visit, I think.

We didn't need or even want the Internet. Too much to do! So we didn't even worry about that!

Overall, we had a really wonderful time at this resort and would gladly go back any day. In fact, we hope to stay here the next time we visit the Big Island so we can take advantage of more of their classes, pools, and activities.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Sunnyvale, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2010

We stayed at the KCR in July 2010 for 5 nights. Simply put, we loved the place. We loved so much that we are even considering returning to BI just to stay at the KCR (well, not really just to stay at the KCR but you get my point).

We booked the hotel directly through the Shell vacation web site. The site was running several summer promotions, perhaps to boost occupancy rate in our weak economy. We got a terrific rate for a one bedroom condo for about $90/night after taxes (for a 5 night stay). It was really a bargain for the quality of the hotel, so, yeah, we started with the right footing.

CHECK IN
We arrived at the condo by 10pm. Front desk was very friendly and check in was really fast. During check in, I was surprised to learn that AC was also included in the rate -previous reviewers mentioned an extra charge for AC usage, and even a max setting of 75F. That didn’t happen to us. I am not sure what happened. Maybe they stopped charging for AC, but I think that it most likely has to do with where you made the reservation (KCR is bookable through several travel sites, including Expedia and Travelocity, and it often shows up in Hotwire, not to mention rentals direct by the owner or by some condo rental management site – as mentioned, we book through directly through the Shell vacation website). I also read reviews of rates being conditioned to watching a time share presentation. That didn’t happen either. They did call us a couple of times to pick up our welcome gift at the activity desk – which is usually how they drag you into a time-share presentation – but then, we receive this type of call at every resort we stayed in Hawaii.

THE CONDO
We got the keys and drove to our condo. There are several parking spots nearby and actually one detached garage per unit, but not available for guests. However, some guests were parking right outside the garage door of their units. We then entered the condo. We saw the candid photos at TA and read reviews, so we had a moderately high expectation but were trying to keep it to low to avoid some disappointment. Boy, we were impressed. Our condo was not luxurious, but it was spacious, well maintained and with basic but very decent furnishings – doesn’t feel cheap at all. It was very clean – no moldy smell in spite of carpets in both bedroom and living room.

Our bedroom had a king size bed and its own AC unit (the living room has another). AC is a necessity so we were glad it was included in the rate. The AC was also very silent, so don’t worry about those loud fans that you typically find in motels. We thought the bed was quite comfortable. The living room had a queen size sofabed where the kids slept. Each room had its own tv (though not flat screen, but that is a non-issue). The bathroom is very nice (also spacious) with two sinks. No bathtub, but the showering area had plenty of room – also a good things when showering kids.

There is a full kitchen with pretty much all that you need to cook meals. The staff furnishes you with coffee (we didn’t use it – I bought my own – so I don’t know if they refill it), sugar/sweetener, creamer, salt, pepper, sponge, detergent, dishwater liquid, paper towel, and trash bags. Everything else you kinda need to buy – the fridge was completely empty. There is a KTA in the shopping mall next door where we bought most of our supplies and cooking ingredients/condiments. We also did some trips to Safeway and Walmart, about 15 minutes from the condo. There is no barbecue grill in the unit, but there is a shared one right outside our apartment complex – we used it to grill some fish and skewers we bought in Safeway (Safeway sells fresh local fish, I was told). However, bring a flashlight if you want to do it when it is dark.

There is also a washer and a dryer for your laundry – you also need to buy your laundry detergent.

LANAI and VIEWS
The condo has a large balcony for you to sit and watch the sunset in the ocean. The lanai has also a table and chairs so you can actually have meals there. After strolling the complex, I had the impression that most, if not all units, were designed so the lanai faces the ocean. Also, the complex is built on the slope of a hill, so the unit in front of your lanai would be on a slighter lower elevation. In other words, it is my impression that most of the apartments would have some kind of view of the ocean, although some units, like ours, could have an obstructed view. At any rate, the views are fantastic. I would say that the condo is designed to be part of your vacation so you actually enjoy staying there, rather than making it simply a place to crash.

POOLS and GROUNDS
The grounds are beautiful and very well manicured. It is a pleasure to stroll around. It did not fell dense or crowded. The KCR is a full service resort: it has two pools, three hot tubs, golf course, tennis court, gym, activity desk, a restaurant, etc. I can’t review most of these amenities because the only things we actually used were the pool and hot tubs. There are two pool complexes, a smaller complex a couple of steps from our condo – with a pool and a hot tub, and the main pool complex downhill where most of the “action” is located (restaurant, gym, activity center etc.). For a quick dip in the pool and a soak in the hot tub, the nearby complex would do it. However, we did prefer to walk to the main pool complex. In addition of the pool being a bit larger, the hot tub of the main pool complex has a superb view of the ocean, making it my favorite place to watch the sunset.

LOCATION
The location of the resort is superb. As I mentioned before, the resort is built on a hill, where the secured entrance in up on the hill with the main pool complex and golf course being located down the hill. Our condo was located near the secured entrance. Across the street from the entrance is the Keauhou Shopping Center where you can shop your groceries at the local KTA, buy takeouts at L&L, watch a movie in the movie complex, dine in one of the restaurants there, and even watch free hula presentations by sunset. BTW, the views from the mall are fabulous. The resort is located on the Southern tip of Alii Drive. It is very close to the Sheraton Keauhou and the outfitters for the ocean tours (e.g., Fair Wind, Hula Kai, SeaQuest, and SeaParadise). Very convenient if you book that morning snorkel tour (as we did with SeaQuest). We timed, and it took less than 10 minutes from the doorstep of our condo to the check in of the SeaQuest. The snorkeling at Kahaluu is also next door. Kona town is also close, about 6 miles down Alii Drive.

One thing that like about the Kona area, compared to the Kohala coast to the north, is the greenery surrounding the resorts – it also means that the area is cloudier and rainier. Nevertheless, during our stay, we had sunny mornings and overcast afternoon almost everyday, and we thought that the afternoon clouds, together with the greenery, add a bit of atmosphere and coziness, which we kinda like. Also, I should note that, even in cloudy afternoons, we were always able to view the sunset in the ocean. It seems that the clouds hovering over Kona do not extend all the way to the ocean – the sky in the horizon is quite clear, so the sun would eventually reappear in the horizon, after clearing the clouds, and set in the ocean about an hour later.

INTERNET
I thought I should share this. It seems that KCR now provides wireless internet in the unit. We didn’t use – I did not bring my laptop. But we received this card, upon checking in, informing us about the availability of the connection. Since we did not bring the computer, I used the front desk computer for most of my needs (including booking the SeaQuest tour with $15 discount per person, if done online, and checking updates to the Volcano). The cost is $0.35 per minute and you only need to swipe your credit card. I think that the concierge has also a computer that you can use for free, but the hours are 10-2, which did not work for us.

SERVICE
I have no complaints at all about our interactions with the hotel staff. They were all very polite, courteous, and willing to help.

However, one thing puzzles me, in a good way though. When we made the reservation, we were given a discount rate from a “green program” and, as a result, we would have limited housekeeping, meaning housekeeping would be limited to picking up your garbage and bring fresh towels. Well, I believe we had more than. Every time we came back to the condo, the beds would be made, the bathroom would be cleaner, and even the dirty dishes would be in the dishwasher. At any rate, this does not really look like limited housekeeping for me (we even gave a tip to the maid after we’ve noticed that the beds were made). I am not complaining at all. In fact, if anything, I am celebrating, but I thought it could be good warning that what we got – the great rates with AC and housekeeping, could be some time of glitch/disconnect between reservation and front desk. Or maybe not.

All in all, we loved our condo at KCR. We thought that it added to our vacation – it became part of it and not simply a place to sleep. We would glad return in the future.

Laguna Niguel, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2010

We planned a last minute trip to Hawaii for 2 families.... 4 adults, 4 teenagers. I was somewhat hesitant because the rates at Kona Coast were so reasonable. But I have to say, we were very pleased with out stay. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I was surprised at how large the one bedroom condo is -- a large bedroom with a king bed, TV, and bath. The living room was nice. The kitchen was sufficient. And the second bath was just fine.

Because we had 2 families, we asked to be close and they put us right next to each other. We cooked at the condo most of the time, and the kitchen had everything we needed -- toaster, blender, microwave, pans, and dishes. The washer and dryer were very handy -- we would dry our beach towels at night. The washer and dryer were small but sufficient.

Kona Coast isn't the Ritz Carleton, but it's clean, safe, friendly and very modern. One thing -- the bathroom came with soap but no shampoo. There's a drug store and grocery store right next to the resort, so anything you're missing was easy to come by. We would stop at the store everyday and pick up the best pineapples!

No beach at Kona Coast, but there's a public beach nearby. They say 1/4 mile, but it's further than that. Maybe a mile. The beach nearby has the best snorkeling -- we were swimming with turtles from day one.

Tucson, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2010

OK, so I've been here 5 days and have nothing good to say about the place other than it IS Hawaii. The bad: right off got a bad taste in my mouth when I find out I have to pay $11/day to have A/C and $10/day for internet. Are you kidding? But wait there's more. They have towels but you have to sign a release saying you won't take them to the beach or pay $20 per towel. But wait, you get more for your money. The place is called Kona Coast Resort right? Well you can SEE the coast - just past the golf course- but under no circumstances are you allowed to walk down there and take a picture or whatever (unless you hit a golf ball over there). So you drive to go to a beach. Well, we gave up on that. The beaches here are so few and far between that if you do go to them you have to park a half mile away and then CRAM into some tight little sandy spot, or go swim in other people's filth. Yuck. No thanks. My advice - find a hotel that has a nice beach and doesn't nickel and dime you for every service (you can't even bring a bottle of water to the pool here!) Oh, I almost forgot, the A/C that you pay $11 a day for (and believe me you need it - I'm from AZ and this place is hot and muggy) sucks - that's right, it doesn't go below 72 degrees and it isn't really 72, more like 78, and it is still muggy in the room. I don't know how that works, no hotel I've ever stayed at stayed muggy with A/C on, almost like a swamp cooler in the rain - not only that but the vents all constantly RATTLED enough to drive you batty. All I know is the only time I was happy here was when I got into the car, cranked up the A/C and went somewhere else. My family is off at another hotel's beach right now. Me - I'm done looking for beaches.

River Falls, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2010

We spent 5 nights and had breakfast on the lanai each morning, our surprise was 2 full size bathrooms with walkin showers. The condo was very clean with all the necessary supplies to begin our stay. The grocery and drug stores were 2 blocks away, an easy walk and the view was fantastic each day. We opted for no air conditioning and the breeze made it very comfortable for sleeping as we were gone somewhere during the day. We highly recommend this wonderful property. There is access to a beach within 1 mile and there are 2 pools and 3 hot tubs on the property. There is a gas grill right next to the garage.

East Bay
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2010

We found what looked like a decent package deal on a popular internet travel site (rhymes with "encyclopedia"). Included air, condo and rental car. The condos were the Kona Coast Resort in Keauhou, located about 6 miles south of Kailua-Kona town on Alii Drive on the Big Island of Hawaii.

We did our due diligence on TripAdvisor and other review sites and were a bit apprehensive about some negative reviews that we saw. In the end, we decided to go for it and see what happens. We were VERY glad that we did. A bit about the Kona Coast Resort paraphrased from their own literature:

"originally built in the '70s with the intention of being wholly-owned condos, the developer built 112 1,2 and 3 bedroom condos in 12 different buildings. After selling 44 of them, the developer then sold the complex to Shell Development Corp-from my understanding the parent company of the timeshare company Shell Vacation Club. Shell converted the remaining units (68 of 'em) to timeshares and sold out by 1991. This "phase" known as Phase I, is still mixed ownership, 44 wholly-owned and 68 timeshare.

Phase II was built in the 1990's; 195 1 and 2 bed condos (Shell calls them villas) all as timeshares in 16 additional buildings ( #'s 15-30). "

Though the resort is largely now timeshares, we were never approached about buying a timeshare. I did see sales people doing the daily timeshare song and dance to prospective buyers, but were never even asked if we wanted to sit in on a presentation. Nice!

Given this background and the reviews we had read, we were a bit afraid of getting a retro, groovy old-school condo. Our fears were totally misplaced. We did get one of the "original units" and could not have been happier. It was a MASSIVE 1-bedroom condo. Almost completely updated in the bathroom, kitchen, and dining/living room areas. The bathroom had new fixtures and sinks, new tiling and updated fixtures in the shower along with updated tiling. It too was LARGE. Almost like something (like a walk in shower) was missing (that would have been a very nice update.) The shower was standard tub/shower combo.

The bedroom sported a King bed with PLENTY of space all around to move about the room. Large dresser, large closet, ceiling fan and all. We traveled with our 2 kids who can get a bit rambuctious. They had plenty of room in the bedroom and the rest of the living space to run about and be kids!

The kitchen was nicely appointed with full size washer and dryer in the back (not infringing on the rest of the kitchen space at all) along with dishwasher, microwave, full size fridge and coffee maker. Double sink and updated electric range made us very comfortable. Plenty of available cupboards for storage.

The dining room/living room "great room" again...MASSIVE! The dining room had a built-in buffet and tons of space around the dining table that sat 4 comfortably and could easily have seated 6 or more. The dining area was "separated" from the living room area by a free standing entertainment cabinet that stood about 4-5 ft tall. The living room had large couch that pulled out to relatively comfortable double bed as well as a smaller love seat. Tons of room for the kids to wrestle and dance around even with the couch bed pulled out! TV's in living room and bedroom with DVD player in living room along with CD/radio player.

We spent most of our eating time out on the double sized lanai (Hawaiian term for patio). It easily dwarfed the lanai's found on the other newer units. It was as long as the living/dining room and featured 2 distinct areas...one adjacent to the dining room and one adjacent to the living room. The table easily seated our family of 4 plus and additional family of 4 that we had over for dessert.

By comparison the units built in Phase II were newer and far smaller. Though I did not go into one, it was clear from what I saw and what I was told by those staying in those units that ours was far larger. In this case older was indeed much better!

As far as the resort itself, pretty darn comfortable and very well maintained. 2 pools (one quiet-read no kids- and one for families). Very well maintained sand volleyball pit with gas grills sprinkled about the complex for your use. Shuffleboard was available along with a a playground for the kids and a hoop court. 3 hot tub/spas, one by each pool and one stand alone near the v-ball court. The resort is surrounded on 3 sides by the Kona Country Club golf course, so though it was located right on Alii Dr. noise was never an issue. There is a restaurant adjacent to the main pool, but I cannot speak to it as we did not dine there. The locker room areas near the main pool were roomy, with showers and lockers available. Also of note was the sauna right near the locker rooms-hy you would need a sauna in Hawaii, I am not sure, but it was there if you wanted it.

The general vibe of the resort is definitely family-oriented. This is not a place with swinging nightlife or a place to meet other nightlife oriented singles/couples. There are definite quiet hours and they are posted for all to see.

Friendly folks at the activity desk helped you to make reservations and find activities and the Splash activity desk had beach and snorkel stuff for rent as well as a pool towel exchange (free). Weekly activities were published and posted in a flyer and included lei making, face painting for kids, a coffee talk from a local coffee grower-some had fees and others were free.

As far as location, the Kona Coast Resort is well positioned on the quiet end of Alii Dr. Right across the street is the Keauhou Shopping Center where you can find a KTA (local grocery chain), Longs Drugs, restaurants and a multi-plex movie theater. It is barely half a mile from one of the more popular beaches in town, Kahaluu State Beach...a great place to snorkel and view sea turtles. You can take the highway (19 and 11) almost all the way to the resort bypassing the traffic on Alii Dr.

Final note on the Kona Coast Resort...Go For It!
We highly recommend and it will have something for everyone. Our next trip to Hawaii will most likely find us there.

Final note for families: our kids like a good playground. Though the Kona Coast Resort has one, pass on it and go down Highway 11 a few miles for a truly OUTSTANDING local playground. The Kamakana Playground is located in George Higashihara Park between milemarker 114 and 115 on Highway 11 a couple of miles from the resort. Massive playground with stuff for all ages along with basketball courts, a softball field and picnic pavilions and tennis courts. My kids loved it and even made friends with some of the locals.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Been to Kona Coast Resort? Share your experiences!