“Beautiful and fun” 5 of 5 stars

Book ahead on Viator
Private Tour
$196*
and up
Private Tour: Big Island Organic Farms &...
Ranked #10 of 204 Activities in Kailua-Kona
Activities: Group tours/day tour
Auburn, Pennsylvania
5 attraction reviews
“Beautiful and fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

Just did this excursion on 9/11. Our guide, Mark, was great. He was very informative. Even had us picking fresh strawberry guavas to eat while we were hiking. He also took pictures for everyone so you & your loved one could be in the same photo. Waterfalls and scenery was sooooo beautiful. Ride in the pinzgaur was fun! Had a picnic lunch provided and had a get scenic overlook to eat it at. Hike was not too hard. Other groups we also on the trails but you rarely seen them so it was like being there without them. Mark provided information during the ride from the cruise ship about the area we drove through. This is great for couples and families.

New York
9 attraction reviews
“Wonderful but beware”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

This is a first rate company. My family and I went on the waterfall hike and had a blast. It is an absolutely gorgeous hike and because it is private property--we felt like our group were the only people on Earth. Also, everything is very organized and the guide was incredible. We also enjoyed some fun stops on the way to the hike and on the way back (including a wonderful lunch looking out over breathtaking cliffs, ocean, and a black sand shoreline).

One caveat: these hikes are active --be prepared to break a sweat, to climb over uneven ground, rocks, mud, etc. Even getting to the hike requires a very rough ride (off road) in an army vehicle.

I say this because we had two elderly women on our hike who were miserable. They looked uncomfortable during the ride to the trailhead. When we arrived at the trailhead they both wisely decided to stay in the vehicle and wait for the rest of the group (which meant they had to sit in the vehicle by themselves for almost two hours). The rest of the group had no problem with the hike and we all had a blast. But we felt bad for the ladies. They said they were told by their hotel concierge that it was easy and that 80 year olds had done it. This is totally wrong. These are not the most difficult hikes in the world, but they are real hikes--if you have any injuries or physical ailments and don't want to break a sweat or get dirty --then book another type of tour.

This company is great, but they are very expensive. If you aren't looking for a physically active day/evening--there are many more comfortable ways to see the island (including luxury van tours and helicopter tours) in roughly the same price range.

If you are looking for an active day--you can't beat these guys.

Visited August 2013
Sherwood Park, Canada
26 attraction reviews
“A full and interesting day!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

The volcano twilight tour was long, but very interesting. The total time it took was almost exactly 12 hours. The return to the starting point alone took 3 hours, so considerable travelling was involved. Our guide, Maka, was articulate and knowledgeable, and he made every possible effort to answer questions and consider the comfort and enjoyment of the passengers.

Do not expect to be close to any lava; the closest we came was seeing the glow in the distance after dark.

Sydney, Australia
9 attraction reviews
“Good quality tour, exploring the best of the volcanic national park”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I booked to do the one day volcanic national park trip with the company in mid-September. We had to be at the store for 6.30am but it wasn't too long a drive from my hotel (Kona Coast Resort) and there was plenty of parking on site so I was able to leave my car there all day.

The group size was small and our tour guide (Justin) made everyone introduce themselves at the start of the day which was great-a very simple thing but something that doesn't always get done! It was a long drive to the NP but we had a great little morning tea to break up the miles. The food was lovely-lots of variety of snacks and beverages. We went to the Thomas Jagger museum first and had a look at the craters within the craters. We then checked out a lava tube and did a short walk on the lava to get closer to the crater. We then drove to the sea caves, had lunch (great food, again), checked out another crater, stopped at a tourist centre and then went to the black sand beach (where there were turtles!). We also stopped for a number of photo opportunities along the way. We covered about 300 miles in the day and llearned a lot about the history of the park, as well as the science behind how it was formed.

I was expecting a little more of a serious hike but if I had to choose between walking for three hours and seeing everything I saw, I'd pick the later. The company seems well run and very well organised. I received a call the day before, confirming the time and place to meet, which was appreciated.

On the gently sloping downside, I think perhaps the price could be a little cheaper. I paid $180ish and I think $150 would be more reasonable. But overall though, I was very happy with the service that I received and the knowledge that Justin shared.

Porterville, California
“volcano twilight tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

If you can choose your guide Matt or Matthew was an exceptional tour guide. His humor made me laugh out loud repeatedly. Maybe I just got all his jokes... he's highly informative on the islands ins and outs. He keeps your attention at all times during history lessons and makes the folklore stories come to life as he brings you to their locations. He makes you feel welcomed and makes us all tourist treat eachother like family. My boyfriend and I loved every minute of the day long tour. He made Hawaii Happen for us with unforgettable sight and teaching us so much we never learned on our own. We were lucky to be in an active group and we able to make more stops to see more than other groups can see in a day. Such as the devils throat. Massive hole in the ground I could not even see the bottom! Tour was an all day event. Driving thru Hilo, stopping at rainbow falls, meals were delicious, lava tubes and walking thru forrest at night time was beautiful. I loved the fact that I did not have to worry about poisionous snakes or plants because well, there are not any! I felt very safe and comfortable with Matt as our guide, he's a great guy.
One thing though, we all left our wallets in the shuttle and could not buy anything at the gift shop. So, take your wallet when hiking up to observatory during the day. When you return at night the gift shop will be closed. Gift shop has beautiful murals of the story of pele you learn from Matt during the tour. Outside the gift shop there is a fountain you can refill your bottle water with real rain water which tasted great!
I learned so much from Matt that when coming home I was eager to learn more about Hawaii and its culture.
You do not really need jeans or long sleeve shirts. It gets Windy too no loose sun hats or dresses. Good pair of sneakers/hiking shoes because the lava rocks made my feet/ankles sore by end of the night. Then again I was always up front keeping up almost passing up Matt. Bring camera with good zoom for volcano close ups.
Once again, best time ever!