“volcano twilight tour” 5 of 5 stars

Attraction Details
Porterville, California
“volcano twilight tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

If you can choose your guide Matt or Matthew was an exceptional tour guide. His humor made me laugh out loud repeatedly. Maybe I just got all his jokes... he's highly informative on the islands ins and outs. He keeps your attention at all times during history lessons and makes the folklore stories come to life as he brings you to their locations. He makes you feel welcomed and makes us all tourist treat eachother like family. My boyfriend and I loved every minute of the day long tour. He made Hawaii Happen for us with unforgettable sight and teaching us so much we never learned on our own. We were lucky to be in an active group and we able to make more stops to see more than other groups can see in a day. Such as the devils throat. Massive hole in the ground I could not even see the bottom! Tour was an all day event. Driving thru Hilo, stopping at rainbow falls, meals were delicious, lava tubes and walking thru forrest at night time was beautiful. I loved the fact that I did not have to worry about poisionous snakes or plants because well, there are not any! I felt very safe and comfortable with Matt as our guide, he's a great guy.
One thing though, we all left our wallets in the shuttle and could not buy anything at the gift shop. So, take your wallet when hiking up to observatory during the day. When you return at night the gift shop will be closed. Gift shop has beautiful murals of the story of pele you learn from Matt during the tour. Outside the gift shop there is a fountain you can refill your bottle water with real rain water which tasted great!
I learned so much from Matt that when coming home I was eager to learn more about Hawaii and its culture.
You do not really need jeans or long sleeve shirts. It gets Windy too no loose sun hats or dresses. Good pair of sneakers/hiking shoes because the lava rocks made my feet/ankles sore by end of the night. Then again I was always up front keeping up almost passing up Matt. Bring camera with good zoom for volcano close ups.
Once again, best time ever!

“Amazing tour!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

My new wife and I visited the big island and decided to go on the twilight volcano tour as recommended here on trip adviser.

We had an amazing guide, Maka. He was incredibly knowledgeable and friendly. We visited 2 lava tubes, tracked along the 5 year lava flow destruction, visited the caldera during the say and at night to see the red lava glow. During twilight we visited a secluded lookout which had an extraordinary view of the caldera.

We honestly couldn't have asked for a better tour guide and day! I would highly recommend the twilight volcano tour! And make sure you visit the 100 year old lava tube and treck along the volcanic destruction. This was a day we will both never forget. Thank you Maka and Hawaiian forest and trails!

Chris & Asherly

Saratoga, California
7 attraction reviews
“Volcano twilight tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

We chose to do the twilight volcano walking tour and our guide was Mark. He did a very good job, considering the varied group we were with. At least on that day’s tour there was definitely not a lot of walking, which may have had to do with the demographics of the group: from families with school-age children to middle age people to grandparents with grandchildren. The tour company does highly recommend that participants dress appropriately – long pants and closed toe shoes, but it doesn’t seem to be a requirement, since numerous people on the tour were wearing flip flops and shorts – I wonder if that had any relation to where we “hiked”, or didn’t hike?

The food for lunch (eaten at a state park on Saddle Road) and dinner (we stopped somewhere in the National Park near the Jagger Museum – the double rainbow was a definite treat) was fine – I had the veg options for both meals, and my husband had the chicken - they are box lunches.

Viewing the lava glowing in the crater at dusk was great –and I’m really glad we did it. It rained intermittently throughout the day and got quite heavy while at the Jagger Museum (hence the rainbow(s) mentioned above). The company provides a rain jacket – it was definitely needed and used! It was also very crowded at the Jagger Museum overlook into the Halema'uma'u crater in spite of the rain, so expect to jockey for position to get optimal photo ops.

If you are fine with driving late at night to your hotel (consider that you may be dealing with a time change, an unfamiliar rental car and no street lights on a curvy two lane highway, i.e. Saddle Road) then maybe you could just do this trip on your own. But for us, I was fine with letting someone else get us there and back. I’d be happy to book another trip with them.

Visited July 2013
“Amazing volcano twilight tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

The twilight volcano tour is well worth the money. Me and my wife were on honeymoon, there was a group of about 8 also with us. Matthew the tour guide was one of the most knowledgeable people I think we have ever met, he knew everything and it made the trip very informative, not just about the volcano but also about wildlife, plantlife, landscape, the evolution of hawaii and where it is probably going to go. That man deserves a pay rise. The climax was the volcano crater at night which is an image which will stay with me and my wife forever. We were lucky enough to be up there on a very clear night so we could also see the stars and Milky Way etc.. All in all - incredible.

Palo Alto, CA
“Great Time on Volcano Twilight Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

My high school son and I went on the Volcano Twilight Tour. Justin was our guide. It is a long tour, over 300 miles of driving, and you spend 11 hours with a bus full of folk, but it was actually a great experience. Justin was very well spoken, personable, and enthusiastic about what he does, and he is very knowledgeable about the island. The National Park is fascinating - developed a whole new appreciation for what a volcano actually is, and leaned how over the course of the last 85 million years, a 'hot-spot' in the earth's crust in the middle of the ocean has created dozens of Hawaiian Islands which now extend all the way to the Aleutian Islands (only 6 of which are above water....). I was never bored on this tour - there was always something interesting happening. Their vehicle (a Mercedes Sprinter) is very comfortable and drives safely and smooth. My hats off to Justin for a great day, and his wonderful enthusiasm. Definitely a worthwhile use of time and money!