“Beautiful Place with a Few Issues” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Outrigger Royal Sea Cliff

You added Outrigger Royal Sea Cliff to your Saves list
Outrigger Royal Sea Cliff
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   75-6040 Alii Drive, Kailua-Kona, Island of Hawaii, HI 96740   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Use Promo Code & Save Now
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Beautiful Place with a Few Issues”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We like staying at Outrigger resorts because as a Hawaiian resident their kamaaina (locals) prices are really the best. That being said, with such a deal we know we have a tendency to get the less desirable rooms. We selected a 2 bedroom, two bath garden view condo. We were on the 4th floor on the ocean side of the resort. Our garden view was really just the parking lot but if we leaned over our lanai we had a nice view of the ocean. Our condo was well appointed with plenty of space. The kitchen and bathrooms could stand to be updated. Our poor dishwasher was on its last rusted leg. The south pool with its afternoon events was great. Our stay overall was fun and relaxing.

So why did I give the place only three stars? First of all, when I first walked into our bathroom there was a nice array of pubic hair left behind from the previous guests. The condo did not have a broom or vacuum so we had to wet paper towel the floor. Gross! The generally cleanliness of the condo was questionable but nothing too dire. Second, all our toiletries were infested by sugar ants that were inhabiting the bathrooms. I know they are really difficult to get rid of but I suggest some Terro. And finally, our room was right by the elevator. It didn't matter where you were in the condo, you knew you were right next to the elevator. It made a loud pop sound when it started and then a very loud pop sound when it stopped. It was so loud we couldn't take a nap in the master bedroom or go to bed until past 11pm when people stopped using the elevator.

All in all, if this was my once in a lifetime vacation to Hawaii I would be very disappointed and probably would want a room change. But as it stands, we got a great deal that made it hard to complain. We would come back again and hope we don't get the room by the elevator. For what it is worth, as a local, I don't mind paying a higher price on a more desirable condo if the cleaning fee was waived for stays less than a week.

• Stayed August 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

This is the first hotel that we stay in Hawaii during our vacation. Walking into it we were shocked by the size and the landscaping of it. It was in a great location, just one mile away from all the marketplaces. There are two pools in the hotel but both of them are small. Of course, the hotel is right by the ocean and there are so many beaches around it, you wouldn't really care about the swimming pools that much. There are some patio furniture facing the ocean and the view was amazing at sunset. We stayed in a two bedroom suite. It has full equipped kitchen, dryer and washer. The room was clean overall but the water faucet initially flow out brownish color water as it wasn't used for a while. Other than that we were pleasant during our stay.

San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We were guest of my Son and Daughter to celebrate our 50th Anniversary at this resort for a week. The place was nice and clean. We had an older unit which needs help. Dish washer was not working all week. We had no A/C first night and had to go buy fans at mid-night. Decor was out of the 70's. The view from the lanai was beautiful. We found a lot of things in the resort that needed repair such as grills, pool, and security gate. I would go back again and would hope to get a unit that has been up dated.

Room Tip: Request ocean front unit and ask for an updated unit.
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Just stayed at this hotel. It looks pretty ok at the outside and the location is nice, but the rooms were really outdated! They look very different from what they show on the website. After I showed them the photos from the website and asked them why my room was so bad compared to it, they told me: "You should never look at photos on a hotel website". Very professional reply!

They do not clean your rooms during your stay, or you have to pay a fee per day for this service. On top of this they charge $95 + tax (!) for cleaning the room after your stay, no matter how long your stay is. I stayed here for 3 days, but NEVER again.

Big island is fantastic tho, and I didn't let them ruin my stay on the island, but I certainly would reconsider booking this place if I were you.

Stayed July 2015
Pirae, French Polynesia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2015

We stayed in a 2-bedroom unit for 2 nights, with young children. It was a good choice, as the fully equipped kitchen enabled to stay in and eat light and early for dinner.
The unit was large and conveniently located near the carpark. However, you could tell that the furniture was really worn: some cushions showed some tear and the sofabed was really filthy with leftover chips under the mattress! Our kids ended up sleeping on the mattress on the floor in our bedroom, with tons of sheets covering the carpet, the mattress...
I am not sure I would recommend this place, unless the place underwent a real remodelling of some units (I hope all units were not in the same sorry state).

• Stayed July 2015, traveled with friends
West Sussex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2015

I loved this place because it was a little home away from home.

I think we might have been the youngest people there though - it's not as lively as I had hoped.

The excursion desk is super helpful and lovely to talk to.

Pools are lovely

Location is good though not really walkable to the town unfortunately.

Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2015

Great apartment with all we needed and a bit more :-)
Only thing we were missing was a Bar where we could enjoy the sundown. There are areas where you can sit and enjoy it, but no Bar. We had a great time here, but be observe on the information meetings, we missed them all since we were not informed about them.