“Wonderful Resort!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Outrigger Royal Sea Cliff

You added Outrigger Royal Sea Cliff to your Saves list
Outrigger Royal Sea Cliff
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   75-6040 Alii Drive, Kailua-Kona, Island of Hawaii, HI 96740   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Use Promo Code & Save Now
“Wonderful Resort!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW via mobile

I just returned from a 3 night stay at the a Royal Sea Cliff. This is the 4th time I've stayed at this resort and will most likely return next year. The unit I was in was beautiful, clean, and spacious! Grounds are beautiful and the staff is friendly and helpful! The only complaint that I have is in regards to the cleaning fee. I understand that the units are large and do require more time to clean, but $150 is a little steep. However, not having resort fees and offering free wifi and parking did sweeten the deal a little!

Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Carol H, General Manager at Outrigger Royal Sea Cliff, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. We really appreciate your confidence in us and are so pleased that you are officially part of our o'hana (that occurs after your third visit!). I also appreciate you mentioning that we don't have any additional fees for our amenities - the tennis court, WiFi, cultural activities, parking - all complimentary! The cleaning fee has allowed us to be super competitive with our rates so if a person is shopping around, you'll find the best value at the Outrigger!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Our large one-bedroom condo was absolutely beautiful. We reserved a Garden View condo that still had a sliver of ocean view. This is the third reservation we've had at a Wyndham Time Share, and it was absolutely top notch. the staff with whom we interacted were pleasant and very helpful; yes, there are some presentations but they were optional. Because the location is a bit outside the actual town, strongly recommend a car rental - parking is free and covered. The Outrigger Royal Sea Cliff is directly on the water; it looks very small when you drive up to it but once you enter it meanders down to the water with spectacular views abounding. All in all I feel confident about recommending this hotel unreservedly.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Carol H, General Manager at Outrigger Royal Sea Cliff, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you for taking the time to write about the Royal Sea Cliff. Just as a clarification, we have 76 Wyndham Timeshare units and 51 vacation rental units that are individually owned and managed by Outrigger. It sounds as though you may have booked through Wyndham; however, the same staff services both entities and we all strive to make your vacation time very special and memorable for all the right reasons! Mahalo and we look forward to seeing you again!
Ridgetown, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I never write a review on Tripdvisor unless it is very good, or very bad. And I never give my reviews a perfect rating, because I have always thought there was room for some improvements.
In this case, I have to make an exception.
My wife, Joan, and I just got home from the vacation of a lifetime, and that is saying a lot when I consider we are in our 70's and have done a lot of travelling in Canada and abroad.
We have just got back home after staying the month of February at the Outrigger Royal Sea Cliff Resort in Kailua-Kona on the Big Island of Hawaii.
What was so special for us was not the fine weather, or the beautiful flowers and landscapes, or all the neat tourist things there are to see and do, as this was our third trip to the Big Island, so we knew fairly well what to expect.
What made this vacation so unforgettable was the beautiful Condo we found ourselves in.
Management knew we were going to have my brother, his wife, as well as my son and grandson with us, so we were needing accommodations which would sleep 6. They also knew that we were celebrating our 50th Wedding Anniversary, so this was going to be a special time for all of us.
And so they introduced us to Unit #108, and we were flabbergasted when we first walked through the front door, and probably a few times after that.
It is a spacious 2400 square foot Ocean Front unit with 3 bedrooms, 3 baths on the ground floor, with the Pacific Ocean literally for a backyard!
Every morning at about 7:00 am we would have our coffee on the front lanai and watch the humpback whales frolicking just a half mile or so in front of us. We watched numerous dolphins hunting for their breakfast as well, and these sea creatures were so common during the first two weeks of our stay, we thought they must be on Outrigger's payroll!
And the sunsets! WOW! Almost every night we would sit on our lanai and watch the sun slowly slide into the ocean right in front of us, as we took pictures and sipped our evening cocktail.
There are 3 lanais: 1 to the side of the spacious living room with a large table and chairs for 8 if you wished to eat meals outside, 1 in front of the living room which got the most use, and I in front of a large master bedroom.
Our master bedroom was absolutely huge, with a double Jacuzzi, and every night we fell asleep listening to the sound of the ocean crashing (sometimes thundering) ashore. the other two bedrooms were smaller, but one had a queen size 4 poster bed which was super comfortable and each had it's own full bathroom included a large tub with a pleasant shower.
All rooms were tastefully decorated in Southeast Asian and South Pacific motifs, antiques, and furniture, with numerous coffee table books on a variety of topics, including the Hawaiian Islands'
culture and history which my grandson really enjoyed.
We had a fully equipped modern kitchen with all the amenities of home, and then some: a wine fridge, a wet bar and a convection oven.
And then, of course, people make the difference.
Every time I approached Carol, the general manager, or any one of her staff, which included Jenny, Rosie, Kalani, Alex, James, and Buck, it was obvious that they were all on a mission to make feel that I was their most important client on the property at that moment. Towards the end of our stay, Carol even found time in her busy schedule to come down to the unit to meet my family so that we could all express our appreciation and gratitude for the wonderful experience we were having at her property.
One has a habit of remembering such people.
So, if you are needing a spacious accommodation in Paradise that will easily sleep 6 or more,
and you would appreciate some of these finer details, then you should give unit #108 at Outriggers Royal Sea Cliff Resort your consideration.

Room Tip: Make sure you book your reservation at the resort and inform them of your needs, preferences.
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled with family
Aloha John and Joan,
Wow - I can't thank you enough for all the wonderful things you described and for sharing so much of your experience with the world!! It was delightful having you with us and I'm so pleased you were able to enjoy that special time with your family. Unit 108 is our only three bedroom/three bathroom unit at the Royal Sea Cliff Kona by Outrigger but truly the most spectacular feature is its location - you can't get more oceanfront than that!!

Thank you for all of your kind words about the great staff here and we all look forward to seeing you again in the fall!
Okotoks, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I booked through Outrigger hotels, room was not as shown on website, very outdated and when we arrived everything was Wydham Time share. If you weren't a Wyndham time share owner or willing to sit through their presentation then you had to pay more for any excursions and In fact I paid $25.00 less for an excursion booking at a small kiosk in Kailua. Would not return.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
CarolHanna, General Manager at Outrigger Royal Sea Cliff, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Aloha! I do appreciate your observations and I am so sorry that we failed to meet your expectations. The Royal Sea Cliff Resort is made up of a total of 154 condominium units ranging in size from studio condos to a 3 bedroom unit. We have 76 units that are Wyndham Vacation Owners and these are managed for Wyndham by the Outrigger team at the property. The remaining 78 units are individually owned and out of those 78, 51 are managed by Outrigger. I sincerely apologize that you felt everything was geared towards the Wyndham owners and guests. It is true that you can receive discounts by attending the Wyndham presentation; however, the Expedia desk gives the best pricing to all of our guests. Since the Outrigger units are individually owned, they do vary in style; however, we strongly encourage all of our owners to maintain the units so that all of our guests will be satisfied beyond their expectations. If you do decide to give us another try, please feel free to contact me directly so that I can select the proper unit for you - Mahalo!!
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Highly recommend this hotel. We were very pleased with our one bedroom condo. The grounds are gorgeous and our condo was very clean and nicely decorated. The staff work like a close knit family and are willing to please all guests fast and efficiently. Walking distance to shops and fun.
While we were there they offered a free renewing your vows ceremony and provided guests with a beautifully decorated heart shape cake, champagne and photographer for Valentines day. We were blessed by a Hawaiian man at sunset at the waterfall oceanfront. Very well done so happy we attended.
We stayed in unit 203 and had a great view of the sunset and ocean.

Room Tip: Choose this resort and you won't be disappointed.
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Mahalo nui for posting a review for the Royal Sea Cliff Kona by Outrigger! We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were able to participate in our fourth annual Valentine's Day Vow Renewal ceremony. We feel so fortunate that we have such a fabulous oceanfront backdrop for the sweet, touching ceremony just love watching all the couples exchanging their vows - again! So pleased that you will be coming back - the Hawaii Island experience never gets old!!
Campbell, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2015

The web site we looked at had pictures of typical condos but warned that yours could be different. That was the case for our unit. We were disappointed that there were queen size beds, though they were comfortable, and the furniture seemed shoddy. Our view included another unit's roof, owing to the pyramid shape of the building. We had to go to the top floor to see the sunset. Some of the dishes and pans in the kitchen were dirty, and the sliding doors had to be slammed to get them to latch.
The building was quiet, but the swimming pools were not heated which made them uncomfortable in January. We used one of the common area grills and the propane ran out. Construction was going on in other units so there was noise early in the morning, and many parking places were take up by building materials.
For two couples it was adequate, but not really pleasant.

Room Tip: Try to see pictures of the actual unit you'll be staying in.
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled with friends
Please accept my very sincere apologies for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. I know that it doesn't help to tell you that all of the renovation was completed on February 14; nor does it help to let you know that we were experiencing issues with the solar panels that heat the South Pool and that has also been corrected. I'm so sorry that you were assigned to one of the very few 2 bedroom units that has only queen beds - the vast majority have a king bed in the master bedroom and either a queen or two twin beds (which can be made up as a king) in the second bedroom.

I hope that you have the opportunity to stay with us again in the future so that we can make the stay as special as a Hawaiian vacation ought to be!
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2015

This is a quiet, well kept property consisting of condos. Always nice to fix your own food sometimes. I have noticed though, that it depends on each individual owner how much they care about the units they rent. We were lucky and had a great condo at the sea-side of the complex. Everything was new/newer and being top-floor, no bugs to speak of. Having said that, I know of another reviewers' disappointments with such things. I had them in Waikoloa before. There's a grocery-store further up the road. Decent food and bars, too. A nice Thai restaurant, too. As for each individual unit, I'd ask upon booking to ensure a nicer, remodelled condo. Hefty bill to be paying whilst fuming over a room your not happy with. Security also stays around until late check-ins arrive and get squared away, too.

Room Tip: Ensure you voice your concerns on renting remodeled unit. They totally depend on the owner how much...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Been to Outrigger Royal Sea Cliff? Share your experiences!