“Perfect Staff, Perfect Room, and Perfect Location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Outrigger Royal Sea Cliff

Save Saved
You added Outrigger Royal Sea Cliff to your Saves list
Outrigger Royal Sea Cliff
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   75-6040 Alii Drive, Kailua-Kona, Island of Hawaii, HI 96740   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Use Promo Code & Save Now
Tokyo
“Perfect Staff, Perfect Room, and Perfect Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

I had booked a studio room 4-month advance through Outrigger website. Upon check in I was able to recieve free upgrade to one bed room unit. The room is located on 5th floor, right accross from the reception area. My room had everything I needed for my stay (3 night) which includes, extra toweles, sheets, laundry soap, trash bags, dish soap, and a sponge.
The resort has two pools onsite. The pool area is very quiet and relaxed. I liked it very much. I had stayed 5 star resorts in : Orange County, Palm Springs, Las Vegas, Bali, Oahu, Maui, and visited their pool, but I would simply say I liked Royal Sea Clif. (just very quiet...all you can see & hear is waves)
The location is very good. It is only 5 minutes drive to Safeway, shops, and restaurants.
I would definetely stay this resort again.

主人と2名で3泊しました。アーリーチェックインを確約したかったので、到着前日から部屋を予約し、1週間前にOutrigger Reservation Center (US)にアーリーチェックインについて再確認をしておきました。
到着時には部屋のアップグレードをいただき、尚且つ無料でアーリーチェックインをさせていただきました。ホテルは込み合っていたようですがスタッフの配慮がありがたかったです。
お部屋は広く調理器具は十分に使用できるコンディションでした。ダウンタウンにも近いですし、今後Konaの友人を訪問する際にははこちらのホテルに宿泊したいと思います。

Room Tip: I would like to stay 2 bed room ocean front unit next time around.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Outrigger R, Manager at Outrigger Royal Sea Cliff, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Aloha and thank you for your comments about Outrigger Royal Sea Cliff. We are very glad to hear that our property suited your vacation needs so well. We hope that you will come to visit Hawaii Island and Outrigger Royal Sea Cliff again someday soon!

249 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

WE loved this place. We arrived on Sunday night February 24,2013 at 11:00 pm . the staff was wonderful and helpful. We were travelling with our adult children and their spouses so we all had separate units. None of us were disappointed. All units were clean, some were updated and some not, but the whole complex is very well kept. WE saw no bugs, and did not have a problem with dirt or anything. some had carpet some did not. Tho ours was a little dated it was still very nice.We all had different expectations for our two weeks and we all left very happy. We went for our sons wedding who was staying at the resort next door. Tho nice we didn't think it as nice as the one we stayed at. Their was other family staying at the Royal Seacliffe also and no complaints!. We had family and friend staying at other resorts and most of them liked ours the best! Thanks to the Expedia girls who were so friendly and helpful. Our vacation would not have been near as nice without your help!
Stay here if you are going to Kona it is very worth it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
AAloha and thanks for your comments about Outrigger Royal Sea Cliff! We're very glad to hear that you had a great vacation experience in Kailua Kona. Though our downtown area is within walking distance, it is advisable to get a car while you're visiting. Hawaii Island has many great things to do and sights to see but most do require driving.

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Our condo was very spacious, with two terraces, a large living area and lovely bedroom. The kitchen was ideal for what we needed on our two night stopover. We ordered food in on the first night, prompt service - obviously used to dropping food off to starved travellers! The only thing I will say is that as we didn't have a car for our short stay on the island, we had to walk into town which is a bit of a trek, especially in flip flops! Overall a pleasant stay with sea glimpse from our balconies!

Room Tip: Be sure to pack appropriate footwear if walking into town!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

We hope to see you again sometime soon!

Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 3 nights and had a very nice room! It is in a busy area but all the resorts/ condos are so no big deal. Staff was friendly and their maintenance person was very responsive when there was a problem with the room safe. Overall a good experience unfortunately we were on the go so much we didn't get to enjoy the lanai which had a decent view. Great value and well kept property.

• Stayed February 2013
Aloha and thank you for the great review of Outrigger Royal Sea Cliff! We are very centrally located, and the property is a great base from which enjoy all that Hawaii Island has to offer. Hawaii island is the most dynamic in the island chain when it comes to outdoor activities.

We hope to see you in Kona again sometime soon!

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

From the moment we arrived we received wonderful customer service. Yuko at the front desk
was so nice. We enjoyed making our own leis by the pool to the sound of wonderful live music.
Though the property did not offer a restaurant or bar, we were able to order to food from MANY local restaurants from a delivery service.( Yuko gave us the information ) Reasonable delivery charge $6.00..well worth it after a long flight. The hotel (condo) was near town..restaurants..shopping and beaches.
Our only complaint was the room we received. Though spacious, lovely kitchen, two terraces..the carpet was filthy. The manager offered to change our room or adjust our rate. Both offers were fair and appreciated. I wish someone took ownership in the units offered to guests.
Certainly the one we received should not be rented out in the condition it is in .It just needs a few updates. Having said that..we enjoyed our stay and appreciated the front desk staff and concierge.

Room Tip: I would request an updated room with oceanview.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha and thank you for your comments about Outrigger Royal Sea Cliff Resort! We are very pleased to hear that Yuko at our Front Desk was so helpful. We are sorry though, to hear that your unit was less than satisfactory for your vacation needs. Your comments are helpful in improving our unit quality and we appreciate your input.

We hope that you will give Outrigger Royal Sea Cliff another try on your next trip to Hawaii Island!

St. Albert, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed for two weeks in a 1 bed 1 bath unit that appeared to be an owner rental unit #509. The facility is approximately 30 years old but the common areas have all been upgraded and are clean and pleasing. The unit we occupied could use some renovating. The carpet in the bedroom and living room is not appropriate for the climate and kind of use that it experiences. The kitchen appliances were old. However they functioned perfectly. Tables chairs and deck furniture were all relatively new. The unit was very clean. We found the location of the unit to our liking. The large partially covered deck faces south east so we had early morning sun and adequate shade in the afternoon.

The management and staff that we encountered were all exceedingly pleasant and willing to assist in any way posible. we had a couple of minor issues that were attended to within minutes and we got the feeling that there was nothing that we could ask for that the staff wouldn't try to meet our expectations. They really have the personal touch.

The facility has poolside functions almost every day of the week with complimentry drinks and snacks.

In spite of the minor issues we had a very good stay.

Room Tip: Elevators are located at the front of the facility, midway of the building on the north side and als...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Outrigger R, Manager at Outrigger Royal Sea Cliff, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
We are extremely please that you enjoyed your stay with us! Mahalo!
Farmington, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I had read a few negative reviews about this property after we had already booked. I was a little concerned and called a travel agent friend, who happened to have had a group of his agents tour that property last fall. I spoke with one of the agents who had toured the property and she helped me decide that we would go ahead and stay there. She even gave me the name and number of the general manager so I could express any concerns I had to her. She was a delightful woman who was very helpful. I have kids with allergies and mold and dust are lethal. She made sure to put us in a room with tile and linoleum floors, which we greatly appreciated.

I am fairly certain we stayed in the unit about which a previous reviewer had left a fairly negative review (Unit 106) which was the main reason I called the travel agent in the first place. This reviewer mentioned musty odor, rusty appliances and closet tracks, dust, ant traps in the cupboards, paint cans in the closet, burned out lightbulbs, the need for a new floor in the second bedroom and various cleanliness issues. While all this was accurate, we could see that steps HAD been taken to improve the unit. Rust on stove and fridge had been painted over, dishwasher was working properly, microwave although worked great did have some unpleasant buildup in the window. Pantry had a VERY strong unpleasant odor and we chose not to use it even after spraying with Lysol. We put our groceries on an exposed shelf in the kitchen.

Fridge and freezer, cupboards and closets also had strong odors and rust on the closet door tracks. When we turned on the ceiling fans, larges clumps of dust fell onto the beds which was a turn off, and there was a good layer of dust in the slats on the shutter type bathroom doors and on the coffee maker and blender - I have kids with allergies, but after a bit all the big clumps of dust were gone and we made sure we took our allergy meds and kept the fans on low speed.

I always travel with disinfecting wipes so I wiped down the counter tops, stove and fridge. There was Cascade under the sink so I ran a load of dishes. Not because they looked dirty, but the cupboards being musty ya just never know. Also, there were a few tiny dead bugs and dust in the cupboards. Outside of cupboards had spots where stuff had splashed or dripped down and I did a little spot cleaning there as well. We bought a can of Lysol and sprayed the entire unit including under sinks, in closets and pantry and also opened the doors to let the place air out a bit. This helped freshen things up.

The floors could have used a good sweep, vacuum and mopping before we arrived. I wasn't comfortable being barefoot, but the rest of the family didn't seem to care. I did a little spot mopping on some places that really should have been done before we arrived. Furniture cushions could be cleaned and freshened (it was hard to tell what color they were supposed to be). Bathrooms were pretty clean and I am picky about bathrooms. Again, because of musty odor we didn't use the drawers or cupboards in the bathrooms, but we did use the dresser drawers and closets after spraying and airing out. There were a couple of area floor covers that I wouldn't really call rugs made of a material that was kind of prickly and our 4 year old got a little cut from one. We told him to quit rolling around on the floor, but again a deterrent for being barefoot.

Bottom line and a gentle note to the owners. This unit needs a good deep professional cleaning inside and out, getting into every crack, crevice, cupboard, drawer, under beds, upholstery, walls etc. Wood needs to be cleaned and disinfected and some Damp Rid placed in the pantry, closets and cupboards. Window shades need a good vacuuming and the lock on the patio door needs repair. Bedspreads laundered. At least once a month :) And my family and I would be happy to do it if you'd like to fly us down ;)

Now, would we stay here again? YOU BET WE WOULD! Even in this unit!

We had a two bedroom condo with a kitchenette, king size bed in master, queen sofa sleeper in living area and two twin beds in second bedroom and an apartment sized washer/dryer in master bath. PERFECT for our needs! We did a lot of our own cooking and took advantage of the grills by the pool one night. Kitchenette had adequate cooking supplies as far as pots, pans, prep dishes etc. but could use a pizza cutter and some storage dishes with lids for leftovers. I was prepared with various sized ziploc bags which worked out fine. When we phoned the front desk for extra blankets for the sofa sleeper they were quick to respond and even phoned us back to make sure we'd received the blankets. Room was quiet. We weren't bothered by outside noise at all. We were close to stairs, elevators and garbage/recycling room.

There is no housekeeping or towel service unless you request it and there is a fee for that. We elected to launder our own towels and do our own cleaning, however, if I'm expected to do my own housekeeping it would be nice to be provided with some anti bacterial cleaning supplies other than basic dishwashing liquid. I imagine if we had asked for it, the staff would have brought us some to use. There were two packets of laundry detergent for the washer, I had also brought my own and we ended up purchasing some additional from the front desk. Also, there was no broom or dustpan but there was a sponge mop. I kinda freak out about sponges because I know they grow all kinds of nasty stuff, so we just left the mop alone and toughed it out although I really would have appreciated a broom. You are also responsible to do your own garbage detail. We're pretty easy going so that wasn't a problem for us. There are instructions posted in the room about how to deal with your garbage and recyclables.

We found boogie boards and beach chairs in the room which came in handy as we made our way around the island to play. (Thanks owners!!)

We had booked a garden view room and as you look out the kitchen window there is a little atrium area with a waterfall, but from the back patio we could see beyond the pool area to the ocean. Both views are LOVELY! The surf was really high the first few days we were there and we could see and hear the waves crashing on the lava rocks. Sounded like thunder and we loved it. BEAUTIFUL! The grounds were well kept and some of the trees reminded me of trees by the Small World ride in Disneyland. Pool areas were clean and well maintained. Ping pong table, tennis courts, barbecue grills and hot tub. There were various onsite activities throughout the week (movie night, puu puus, entertainment) but the only one we made it to was lei making. As we made our leis, we enjoyed fresh fruit, juice and Malasadas - yum - as a local musician sang and told stories. Kanani, our lei making instructor, was pleasant and friendly and we enjoyed visiting with her.

We saw whales as we looked out at the ocean on more than one occasion!! They have an orientation that you can attend where they serve you fruit, breads and pastries and acquaint you with some of the activities that are available on the island. Very nice. There are little areas near the ocean where you can sit and enjoy the view and we were encouraged to go to the 5th floor and watch from up there as well.

No beach access because there is no beach. Beautiful black lava rock - you are on a cliff. The color of the water and the black of the lava was striking!! Sandy beaches within short or long driving distance.

Secure parking, tennis courts, two pools and a hot tub.

Check in and check out was a breeze. The staff was friendly and helpful and any question we had they knew the answer to.

I would give this room more stars except for the cleanliness and odor situation. Keep in mind that these units are individually owned and are decorated by the owners so each unit would be different.

Room Tip: I would definitely call and express any concerns you might have regarding a room. I know they'l...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Aloha and thank you for your comments. We are very pleased to hear that our General Manager could be helpful in accommodating your vacation needs. And we appreciate your comments directed toward the owner of the unit that you stayed in. If you choose to visit again sometime soon and stay in unit 106 you will find a number of great improvements that have been made. We hope we do see you in Kona again soon!

Mahalo!

Been to Outrigger Royal Sea Cliff? Share your experiences!