“Nice place great service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Outrigger Royal Sea Cliff

You added Outrigger Royal Sea Cliff to your Saves list
Outrigger Royal Sea Cliff
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   75-6040 Alii Drive, Kailua-Kona, Island of Hawaii, HI 96740   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Use Promo Code & Save Now
Michigan
“Nice place great service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 3 nights and had a very nice room! It is in a busy area but all the resorts/ condos are so no big deal. Staff was friendly and their maintenance person was very responsive when there was a problem with the room safe. Overall a good experience unfortunately we were on the go so much we didn't get to enjoy the lanai which had a decent view. Great value and well kept property.

• Stayed February 2013
Outrigger R, Manager at Outrigger Royal Sea Cliff, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Aloha and thank you for the great review of Outrigger Royal Sea Cliff! We are very centrally located, and the property is a great base from which enjoy all that Hawaii Island has to offer. Hawaii island is the most dynamic in the island chain when it comes to outdoor activities.

We hope to see you in Kona again sometime soon!

Mahalo!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

From the moment we arrived we received wonderful customer service. Yuko at the front desk
was so nice. We enjoyed making our own leis by the pool to the sound of wonderful live music.
Though the property did not offer a restaurant or bar, we were able to order to food from MANY local restaurants from a delivery service.( Yuko gave us the information ) Reasonable delivery charge $6.00..well worth it after a long flight. The hotel (condo) was near town..restaurants..shopping and beaches.
Our only complaint was the room we received. Though spacious, lovely kitchen, two terraces..the carpet was filthy. The manager offered to change our room or adjust our rate. Both offers were fair and appreciated. I wish someone took ownership in the units offered to guests.
Certainly the one we received should not be rented out in the condition it is in .It just needs a few updates. Having said that..we enjoyed our stay and appreciated the front desk staff and concierge.

Room Tip: I would request an updated room with oceanview.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha and thank you for your comments about Outrigger Royal Sea Cliff Resort! We are very pleased to hear that Yuko at our Front Desk was so helpful. We are sorry though, to hear that your unit was less than satisfactory for your vacation needs. Your comments are helpful in improving our unit quality and we appreciate your input.

We hope that you will give Outrigger Royal Sea Cliff another try on your next trip to Hawaii Island!

St. Albert, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed for two weeks in a 1 bed 1 bath unit that appeared to be an owner rental unit #509. The facility is approximately 30 years old but the common areas have all been upgraded and are clean and pleasing. The unit we occupied could use some renovating. The carpet in the bedroom and living room is not appropriate for the climate and kind of use that it experiences. The kitchen appliances were old. However they functioned perfectly. Tables chairs and deck furniture were all relatively new. The unit was very clean. We found the location of the unit to our liking. The large partially covered deck faces south east so we had early morning sun and adequate shade in the afternoon.

The management and staff that we encountered were all exceedingly pleasant and willing to assist in any way posible. we had a couple of minor issues that were attended to within minutes and we got the feeling that there was nothing that we could ask for that the staff wouldn't try to meet our expectations. They really have the personal touch.

The facility has poolside functions almost every day of the week with complimentry drinks and snacks.

In spite of the minor issues we had a very good stay.

Room Tip: Elevators are located at the front of the facility, midway of the building on the north side and als...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Outrigger R, Manager at Outrigger Royal Sea Cliff, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
We are extremely please that you enjoyed your stay with us! Mahalo!
Farmington, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I had read a few negative reviews about this property after we had already booked. I was a little concerned and called a travel agent friend, who happened to have had a group of his agents tour that property last fall. I spoke with one of the agents who had toured the property and she helped me decide that we would go ahead and stay there. She even gave me the name and number of the general manager so I could express any concerns I had to her. She was a delightful woman who was very helpful. I have kids with allergies and mold and dust are lethal. She made sure to put us in a room with tile and linoleum floors, which we greatly appreciated.

I am fairly certain we stayed in the unit about which a previous reviewer had left a fairly negative review (Unit 106) which was the main reason I called the travel agent in the first place. This reviewer mentioned musty odor, rusty appliances and closet tracks, dust, ant traps in the cupboards, paint cans in the closet, burned out lightbulbs, the need for a new floor in the second bedroom and various cleanliness issues. While all this was accurate, we could see that steps HAD been taken to improve the unit. Rust on stove and fridge had been painted over, dishwasher was working properly, microwave although worked great did have some unpleasant buildup in the window. Pantry had a VERY strong unpleasant odor and we chose not to use it even after spraying with Lysol. We put our groceries on an exposed shelf in the kitchen.

Fridge and freezer, cupboards and closets also had strong odors and rust on the closet door tracks. When we turned on the ceiling fans, larges clumps of dust fell onto the beds which was a turn off, and there was a good layer of dust in the slats on the shutter type bathroom doors and on the coffee maker and blender - I have kids with allergies, but after a bit all the big clumps of dust were gone and we made sure we took our allergy meds and kept the fans on low speed.

I always travel with disinfecting wipes so I wiped down the counter tops, stove and fridge. There was Cascade under the sink so I ran a load of dishes. Not because they looked dirty, but the cupboards being musty ya just never know. Also, there were a few tiny dead bugs and dust in the cupboards. Outside of cupboards had spots where stuff had splashed or dripped down and I did a little spot cleaning there as well. We bought a can of Lysol and sprayed the entire unit including under sinks, in closets and pantry and also opened the doors to let the place air out a bit. This helped freshen things up.

The floors could have used a good sweep, vacuum and mopping before we arrived. I wasn't comfortable being barefoot, but the rest of the family didn't seem to care. I did a little spot mopping on some places that really should have been done before we arrived. Furniture cushions could be cleaned and freshened (it was hard to tell what color they were supposed to be). Bathrooms were pretty clean and I am picky about bathrooms. Again, because of musty odor we didn't use the drawers or cupboards in the bathrooms, but we did use the dresser drawers and closets after spraying and airing out. There were a couple of area floor covers that I wouldn't really call rugs made of a material that was kind of prickly and our 4 year old got a little cut from one. We told him to quit rolling around on the floor, but again a deterrent for being barefoot.

Bottom line and a gentle note to the owners. This unit needs a good deep professional cleaning inside and out, getting into every crack, crevice, cupboard, drawer, under beds, upholstery, walls etc. Wood needs to be cleaned and disinfected and some Damp Rid placed in the pantry, closets and cupboards. Window shades need a good vacuuming and the lock on the patio door needs repair. Bedspreads laundered. At least once a month :) And my family and I would be happy to do it if you'd like to fly us down ;)

Now, would we stay here again? YOU BET WE WOULD! Even in this unit!

We had a two bedroom condo with a kitchenette, king size bed in master, queen sofa sleeper in living area and two twin beds in second bedroom and an apartment sized washer/dryer in master bath. PERFECT for our needs! We did a lot of our own cooking and took advantage of the grills by the pool one night. Kitchenette had adequate cooking supplies as far as pots, pans, prep dishes etc. but could use a pizza cutter and some storage dishes with lids for leftovers. I was prepared with various sized ziploc bags which worked out fine. When we phoned the front desk for extra blankets for the sofa sleeper they were quick to respond and even phoned us back to make sure we'd received the blankets. Room was quiet. We weren't bothered by outside noise at all. We were close to stairs, elevators and garbage/recycling room.

There is no housekeeping or towel service unless you request it and there is a fee for that. We elected to launder our own towels and do our own cleaning, however, if I'm expected to do my own housekeeping it would be nice to be provided with some anti bacterial cleaning supplies other than basic dishwashing liquid. I imagine if we had asked for it, the staff would have brought us some to use. There were two packets of laundry detergent for the washer, I had also brought my own and we ended up purchasing some additional from the front desk. Also, there was no broom or dustpan but there was a sponge mop. I kinda freak out about sponges because I know they grow all kinds of nasty stuff, so we just left the mop alone and toughed it out although I really would have appreciated a broom. You are also responsible to do your own garbage detail. We're pretty easy going so that wasn't a problem for us. There are instructions posted in the room about how to deal with your garbage and recyclables.

We found boogie boards and beach chairs in the room which came in handy as we made our way around the island to play. (Thanks owners!!)

We had booked a garden view room and as you look out the kitchen window there is a little atrium area with a waterfall, but from the back patio we could see beyond the pool area to the ocean. Both views are LOVELY! The surf was really high the first few days we were there and we could see and hear the waves crashing on the lava rocks. Sounded like thunder and we loved it. BEAUTIFUL! The grounds were well kept and some of the trees reminded me of trees by the Small World ride in Disneyland. Pool areas were clean and well maintained. Ping pong table, tennis courts, barbecue grills and hot tub. There were various onsite activities throughout the week (movie night, puu puus, entertainment) but the only one we made it to was lei making. As we made our leis, we enjoyed fresh fruit, juice and Malasadas - yum - as a local musician sang and told stories. Kanani, our lei making instructor, was pleasant and friendly and we enjoyed visiting with her.

We saw whales as we looked out at the ocean on more than one occasion!! They have an orientation that you can attend where they serve you fruit, breads and pastries and acquaint you with some of the activities that are available on the island. Very nice. There are little areas near the ocean where you can sit and enjoy the view and we were encouraged to go to the 5th floor and watch from up there as well.

No beach access because there is no beach. Beautiful black lava rock - you are on a cliff. The color of the water and the black of the lava was striking!! Sandy beaches within short or long driving distance.

Secure parking, tennis courts, two pools and a hot tub.

Check in and check out was a breeze. The staff was friendly and helpful and any question we had they knew the answer to.

I would give this room more stars except for the cleanliness and odor situation. Keep in mind that these units are individually owned and are decorated by the owners so each unit would be different.

Room Tip: I would definitely call and express any concerns you might have regarding a room. I know they'l...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Aloha and thank you for your comments. We are very pleased to hear that our General Manager could be helpful in accommodating your vacation needs. And we appreciate your comments directed toward the owner of the unit that you stayed in. If you choose to visit again sometime soon and stay in unit 106 you will find a number of great improvements that have been made. We hope we do see you in Kona again soon!

Dallas, Oregon, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

We rented three rooms in the Outrigger Royal Sea Cliff for our stay while on vacation with our immediate and extended family. We had rooms #110, 111 & 112, I think. The larger room (110) was HUGE and had a nice sized kitchen & dining room which was used for our family meals and gatherings. There are a lot of stairs in this resort. There are nice little places to tuck yourself away for some beauty & quiet relaxation. The "hula" show put on by the Hula School performers and their teacher was endearing!!! What a perfect way to kick off our stay in Hawaii!

Room Tip: The higher the floor level, the better view you have. However, ground level was pretty darn good!!!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Outrigger R, Manager at Outrigger Royal Sea Cliff, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Aloha and thank you for your review! We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed the resort and had such a great time! From the room numbers you mentioned it sounds like you stayed with Wyndham time share rather than with Outrigger vacation condo rentals. This is a good opportunity to point out that all of our weekly events and property amenities are available to all guests staying at the property.

We hope to see you again soon!

Sooke, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I came here early Nov 2012. the staff was really good and helpful. I stayed in room 405 for a week. The rooms wre quite large and had a full kitchen with lots of dishes and cookware which saved on meals. There was no daily room service, but that wasn't important as the condo had a home like atmosphere to it. A couple of minor things: the carpet really needed replacing and/or major steam cleaning. There was also some mould in the washer as the previous person never let it air out after using it.
I did have an enjoyable time touring the island - the volcanoes, a vanilla form on the Hilo side, the observatory.....

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
CarolHanna, Manager at Outrigger Royal Sea Cliff, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay here at the Outrigger Royal Sea Cliff. As other reviewers have pointed out, each unit is individually owned and that owner is responsible for the decor of the unit. You and this owner had the same opinion about the carpet as they removed all the carpeting and laid a beautiful tile floor throughout shortly after your stay. You should come back and check it out! Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back!
Vancouver, BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

The Royal Sea Cliff oceanfront condo we stayed in is well kept with a huge lanai right on the water. We saw whales and dolphins from our lanai. The pools are well kept and there is daily entertainment including lei mankind, hula classes and a Hawaiian guitar player/singer. There is free wi-if on site. Secure parking.

Room Tip: Oceanfront is great if you can afford it.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for writing a review on the Outrigger Royal Sea Cliff Resort. It is always such fun to hear about our guests being able to view the whales and dolphins right from their lanai!! Whale season usually starts around the end of December and the last of the humpbacks head back to Alaska around the end of March. Just a tip - it is recommended that you book early for the ocean front units as they are in very high demand year round. We look forward to seeing you again - Mahalo!

Been to Outrigger Royal Sea Cliff? Share your experiences!