“Best in Kona” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #80 of 204 Activities in Kailua-Kona
“Best in Kona”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

Just returned from a great week in Kona. Scout, Nikki and Mike were a big part of the fun. The boat is clean and comfortable. Nikki and Mike are easy going and very knowledgeable. Their dog (Scout) is a frequent passenger, and loves to lick a salty face.
Highlights of the six dives were> Hammer Head, Manta, Monk Seal, Dolphin, Green Sea Turtles, Harlequin Shrimp, Octopus (multiple), Pipefish, Frogfish, Lionfish, Slipper Lobsters.

Visited December 2012

Tarzana
5 attraction reviews
“Wow, Awesome Dive, Perfect Intimate Boat, Great People”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I probably have 3000 dives, but I'm really clumsy out of water and so I don't do well with big boats and crowds. Mostly I like shore dives. But, you can't do the famed Kona Manta Dive from the shore. After some calling around I found Torpedo Tours. They had a good-sized boat that they said comfortably took about 10. I showed up at 4:30 and we ended up with 5 divers and 5 snorkelers. I brought my video camera, mask, fins and heated wetsuit top but I used their gear for everything else. Their gear was clean, and in excellent shape and they even weighted me correctly without any problem.
I was talking with Nikki who had signed me up and the next thing I knew we had left the dock and were on our 15 minute cruise to the Manta dive. We got there, they went over the boat rules, helped everyone get going with the gear and over the side I went.

Nikki took us down to what they call the campfire circle where with other boats all the divers form a big circle and held supplied dive lights up to attract the plankton that in turn attracts the Mantas. Plus, they put down some major lighting in the middle. We spent the next 55 minutes surrounded by mantas. I did the dive once before about 8 years ago, but this was much better.

We had 5 or 6 10' plus mantas the entire time. I shot over 50 minutes of great video and there was almost no time that at least one manta wasn't in the frame. During the dive, Nikki checked each diver out 2-3 times, but didn't bother us. At the end, she collected the 5 of us and shepherded us back to the boat.

Frankly, in the total darkness, I give her credit for both keeping track of the 5 of us as there must have been 50 divers in the water (which you want or there isn't enough light to attract the plankton which intern attracts the Mantas). We've used colored chemlights before, but she didn't use anything.

During the day I prefer to dive with just a buddy. But for this dive, a group is the best way to go. Anyway, getting back to the boat was easy and they helped us board. A few minutes to swap stories, dry off and have a supplied Diet Coke and we were on our way back. All in all an awesome dive and I'd love to do some daytime diving with Torpedo tours on my next trip to the big island. So yes, this is an unqualified recommendation. I'd dive with these guys any time.
Drew

Visited November 2012
Hailey, Idaho
6 attraction reviews
“Even Better”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I just got back from Hawaii a few days ago. All I can think about is how amazing the diving was. I did a total of 9 dives, with Torpedo Tours. Saw a 14 foot Tiger shark, Eagle rays, Dolphines, Mantas and so much more. These guys are very respectful to the environment and incredible knowledgeable about all the marine life.
The torpedo(DPV) is well worth it. We had the fortune of spending about 40mins. with a pod of dolphines, while just hanging on to the dpv. What a blast!
Between dives, on two seperate occasions they hooked Ono. I was lucky to be standing in the right spot and got to real in one. About 35lbs. and, Oh so Yummy. Mike filleted it and was happy to share the catch. (not always the case on dive boats)
The Manta night dive is just surreal, that's all I can say.
I will go back to Hawaii in the future, I will only dive with Mike and Nikki. They are that good.
I cann't say enough good things about my experiences while diving with Torpedo Tours.
It's my favorite dive boat:)

Visited November 2012
Denver, Colorado
“Manta rays for a rookie snorkeler”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

We were originally booked on Splashers, but they had an "equipment malfunction" and arranged for us to go with Torpedo--at the same, lower price we'd negotiated with Splahsers. Yay, Nikki! I am a rookie snorkeler, and although there were experienced divers on the boat, I never felt like I wasn't getting the attention I needed. I loved the boat ride over to the Manta ray site. Beautiful sunset, Mike made sure we all got to see the dolphins, and Scout the dog patrolled the boat.

Once we got to the site, we got ready, had a snack, and had an orientation about the rays. And then we had plenty of time to enjoy the view, or swim, or whatever. We certainly weren't fawned over, but I never felt like I couldn't get my questions answered if need be.

Yes, you're going to have to take a little bit of personal responsibility when booking with Torpedo Tours--or anyone else. You should be able to swim a little, in the dark (duh!), and be prepared to speak up if anything doesn't seem right. Sure, we parked the boat a little further away than the others, and we didn't have glowsticks like some of the other snorkelers. But we had a fun guide (Joy) who made us laugh, looked out for us, kept up communication, and positioned us to see LOTS of Manta rays--more than we could watch, actually! So, really, are you going to complain about glowsticks and a few extra swimstrokes? I think not.

Granted, this was my first trip on a dive boat, so I can't speak to what others are like, but based on this trip, it won't be my last. Thanks, Nikki, Mike, Joy and Scout for a great experience.

Visited September 2012
votlo
14 attraction reviews
“manta diving”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

when i was in kona i went on two dive trips one to the manta dive and one on the reaf.
the manta dive was a tow tank dive.
the first dive was crusing arond on the corals we meat sewral mantas there that was ferry funn to sea them in ther natural settings crusing arond and lokkig at land lobbers.
the sekond dive you sit on the bottom whit them crusing and eating crill in front of you they come wery kloce to you.
i prefer the first dive its more naturale but if you whant to se them you need to do the manta dive thats were they are and i wod recomend this dive.
the sekond time i went out whit them it was on a reaf dive it was a good dive bobing arond lokking at whis and coral.
its a famely copany whit the owners on the ship and there dog :)
they are funn and acomidating.
i can recomend diving whit them.

Visited September 2012