“Nice flight, but not as promised” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Big Island Air

Big Island Air
73-103 U'U Street, Kona International Airport/ Commuter Air Terminal, Kailua-Kona, Island of Hawaii, HI 96740
808 329 4868
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #36 of 204 Activities in Kailua-Kona
Type: Tours, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: E KOMO MAI, Welcome! Join us for a spectacular air tour of the Hawaii volcano Big Island that you will never forget.From Kona International Airport, our big reliable Cessna Caravan tour plane takes you over the active Kilauea volcano with views of ancient Hawaiian settlements, lush green valleys and towering waterfalls along hundreds miles of rugged coastline. Air Conditioned Comfort, Every Seat a Window Seat! Experienced, Knowledgeable Tour Pilots who take pride in sharing the splendors of the island.Try our 5 Island Tour too!!
Anchorage, Alaska
4 attraction reviews
“Nice flight, but not as promised”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I had done the circle tour a few years earlier with this company, and had a great experience, so I was happy see they had a "night volcano flight" offered (Kiluea volcano is currently very active). The woman who took my reservation said that it's more like twilight, since people wanted to see a little of the coast, too. I made the (wrong) assumption that the "twilight" part of it would be where the lava is visible - that's the whole point of a "volcano flight"! The flight was exactly the same as what I had done in 2006. We did fly over a lava vent, but it was about 1/4 of the way through the flight, in broad daylight. Anthony, our pilot, narrated the tour, but spoke in a quiet monotone that was difficult to hear - in part because one ear of my headset had no sound. After we arrived back at the airport, it turns out that three of us (out of eight passengers) had defective headsets. Anthony did not seem to have any interest in making note of which headsets were broken or in taking them off the plane.
If you want an air tour around the island, it's not a bad one. Had I known I would just be getting a repeat of the circle tour I had done before, I would have skipped it.

Visited November 2012

Troutdale, Oregon
5 attraction reviews
“Great circle island air tour!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We have done several air tours, in the past, Kauai, and Big island, and we prefer this tour over all... Quiet, smooth, picture windows for each passenger, and an informed narrative of the intire trip by a pilot who makes it even more interesting. We will recommend this tour to anyone who asks!

Visited September 2012
Franklin, Massachusetts
“Big Island Air Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

Had an amazing tour of the islands! Every minute of the two hour tour was breathtaking, and Anthony, our pilot was extrememly knowledgeable with a wealth of information on all of the islands as well as a comedian. I highly recommend this tour and pilot!

Visited August 2012
Thornton, Colorado
7 attraction reviews
“Dreams crushed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012 via mobile

Only had a few days on the big island and on the top of my list was a flight to see the volcanos. The only day available was my last day on the island. I booked my wife and i and paid in full. The night before the flight (7pm) they call and cancel the flight because someone else backed out. I am now screwed because its too late to make any other arrangements. Way to crush people' dreams because you may not make enough money. Do yourself a favor and make sure to pick a company that puts customers first.

Wilmington, Delaware
7 attraction reviews
“Awesome Views of the Big Island”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

Worth every penny! We chose the 10-seat single engine Cessna operated by Big Island, over one of the helicopter tours. The plane departs from Kona airport, and circles the island in about 1.5 hours. Our skilled pilot Anthony took us around Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea, the two large volcanoes responsible for the Big Island's existence. Anthony was very friendly and informative, as he explained many things about the island. We flew close to the active volcano, and saw the various lava fields and remaining rain forests. Then we flew to the northern part of the island and saw some breathtaking views of Waimanu Valley and Pololu Valley. Few people in the world have seen these beautiful sites, because it is so difficult to get there, other than by plane or helicopter. We had a bit of choppy weather, but the flight was the highlight of my vacation!

Visited August 2012