“Good restaurant, but BEST place to buy fresh fish” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #66 of 225 restaurants in Kailua-Kona
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Fairfield, OH
“Good restaurant, but BEST place to buy fresh fish”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Oddly enough, there are not many fish markets near Kailua-Kona. Grocery stores carry fresh fish, but not like the fish market at Bite Me. All of there fish is line caught by locals and they filet it and display it in the case for you to see and pick out. If they have it when you're there, try the monchong. We bought that along with mahi-mahi and uku (gray snapper) and they were all delicious, but the monchong stood out. Also, try their fish spread. My wife and I spent about $60 on fish filets, but we got 3 dinners and some sandwiches from it in our condo in Kona, so it saved us a lot compared to restaurants.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

68% Recommend
England
“Best Fish Tacos Ever”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

A laid back place on the waters edge, with friendly staff, good beer and the best fish tacos ever. Lots of parking.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Glad we tried it. May or may not return, if back in Hawaii. If buying fish to cook later -- this is the place I'd go.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

My expectations with this restaurant were:

1. It’s a local harbor restaurant right in the harbor, so I was expecting limited menu of delicious fresh fish, in a pretty worn and casual environment.
2. Friendly, courteous staff
3. Reasonably priced based on what I researched

We ate here twice. My rating puts both experiences in consideration.
I would give it 2.5 of 5 stars and eat there again, if we fished at the harbor or were in the neighborhood.

• Service = 5 of 5
• Food Quality = 3 of 5 (portions very generous for the price)
• Environment = 2.5 of 5
• Price = 3.5 of 5 (Keep in mind the fish is as fresh as you’ll find, and prices are high all over the island.)

This is not fine dining. Being from the Midwest, I’d call it a diner on the pier. It’s a limited menu with good food. Waitresses are in BITE ME tank tops and shorts – however, not risqué. There is a small bar outside, with picnic tables and umbrellas. Inside next to a few tables is a butcher cased where they sell fresh fish. A number of people came in to do just that, while we were eating. Directly behind that is where they butcher the fish.

Our first experience came after my youngest reeled in a 607 lb. blue marlin. So we were in pretty good spirits. We all ordered marlin at the restaurant as an adventure because we had never tried it, and that’s what we caught. Boys also ordered strawberry smoothies. We loved it all. I had fresh veggies and the boys had either garlic mashed potatoes or fries. The sides surprised me in how fresh and good they were. Not a clean plate left. Service was quick and friendly.

Our second experience was a day later, and we went back with my wife.
She ordered the panko bread crumbs crusted tuna, that was huge, and quite delicious. She loved it. The boys and I pressed our luck and did the marlin again.

The marlin’s flavor was good, but the fish was so tough to chew it was almost inedible. I stopped eating with ¾ of my marlin on the plate. The boys did the same. We explained this to the waitress and she brought us out two more pieces of marlin that were no better. She then brought us a small, single complementary piece of tuna that we split. That was very good. In talking with the waitress I asked about what seasonings they used. She wrote down the recipe for their standard seasoning for us. She also spoke with the manager.
The manager apologized for the marlin and we agreed that he would take 50% off the marlin meals. He also wanted to give us a complimentary fish spread to take back to the hotel which we declined.

From what I understand about marlin, from talking with the boat crew the previous day, the bigger female fish do not make good steaks. They tend to be chewy and less flavorful. My guess is that our first meal was with a smaller, male marlin. And, we think our second experience was from the fish we caught the day before.

If in fact steaks from larger marlin are tougher and less flavorful, I’m disappointed that they would serve them up in their restaurant, since they butcher and supply all the fish in their restaurant. It’s our second experience that brought my rating down to a 2.5 -- Average.

We are very glad we experienced this little restaurant, and may return, if we’re in the area and particularly if we go fishing there again. But we will probably not go out of our way to return. I don’t think you’ll find fresher fish at a restaurant. Having that said, on the island, many of the restaurants on the island serve fish that’s very fresh and delicious.

We did NOT buy fish at their market. However, I saw a lot of people buying fish from the case. And from talking with some and reading the reviews, I don't think you'll find a better place to get high quality fresh fish.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
California
“FRESH”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

Great outdoor patio and fresh caught fish right there on the pier. Casual dining on picnic tables. Stop there before a boat tour, as it is next to the boat launch.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Fresh Seafood”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

I was in the area around lunch time, so I decided to drop in. It's a laid back place (e.g., picnic tables), with good and friendly service. I had the fresh catch of the day fish tacos (Mahi) and they were by very good.

Visited September 2013