“My new home away from home!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kona Hula Girl

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kailua-Kona
Kona Hula Girl
You added Kona Hula Girl to your Saves list
75-225 Hualalai Rd, Kailua-Kona, Island of Hawaii, HI 96740   |
Calgary, Canada
“My new home away from home!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2011

Kona Hula Girl popped up one day on my trip advisor hotel finder. It started me planning my trip ASAP. I stayed in the Plumeria room and had the most wonderful stay. Dean and Sherri are awesome hosts. I felt right at home. I went grocery shopping and ate 90% of my meals at Kona Hula Girl. When I knew I was going to do a full day trip I packed a lunch and used one of the coolers they have available for use. I also used the boogie boards and beach chairs they have available. it is about a 10 min walk down to Ali'i Drive adn the farmers market Kona has Wed-Sun. My next trip back to Big Island will definately include staying at Kona Hula Girl! Thanks for making my first visit so enjoyable!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Garrettsville, Ohio, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2011

Mahalo Dean and Sherri! I stayed at the Hula Girl in the Tiki Studio for a week and it was glorious! Dean and Sherri were so friendly and welcoming and helpful. The room was exceptionally clean and comfortable and well-appointed. The views were beautiful; sunrise over the mountains, sunset over the ocean. The whole property was inviting and well-kept. The location is perfect; a close drive to Kailua-Kona Bay area and shopping and the main highway, yet a quiet and secluded, little retreat. There is free wireless internet access and the use of a washer and dryer. I felt safe and comfortable here. I chose to stay at the Hula Girl after finding it on TripAdvisor and reading the great reviews and I was not disappointed. It was more than I had hoped for and was perfect for my first taste of Hawai'i. Absolutely charming. I would recommend it in a heartbeat and am longing to return myself, hopefully for good. It was a fantastic experience. Thank you so much for your hospitality, your suggestions and friendly conversation. And the use of beach umbrella and chair and boogie board was very much appreciated.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Grand Forks, North Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2011

We just got back from our Hawaii getaway and really enjoyed our stay at the Kona Hula Girl! We stayed in the Plumeria Room which was very cute and comfortable! The owners were very kind and had travel books available to borrow as well as umbrellas, coolers, boogie boards, and lounge chairs. My husband and I packed a lunch in one of the coolers, borrowed the lounge chairs, and headed up north to find a secluded beach where we watched the whales splashing in the water! The rental location is only a few blocks from town so we were able to walk down for our meals and pick up delicious fruit from the farmers market! All in all we had a wonderful time and a wonderful stay! We would definitely recommend this vacation rental because of the great service we received and our cozy clean room which was just what you would expect in paradise!!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2011

We have stayed at total of 9 nights with Dean & Sherri in their "Kona Hula Girl" in both the Garden and Hualalai room. If you are looking for a vacation rental in Kona, this is it!

The house...
...is located on a hill, approx. 5 to 10 walking minutes from Kona's "city center" with its restaurants, shops, etc. It is unique in a way that it doesn't have glazed windows, but screens and shutters only. Sounds strange? It's amazing! Not too cold, not too hot, we found it to be just right during the day and during the night. Naturally, you'll be always able to enjoy fresh air! Yes, you might hear fellow guests speaking or walking by, but during the 9 nights we stayed we were never disturbed, as everyone is being asked to be considerate and keep voices, TVs, etc. at normal levels. Highspeed internet is available throughout. In the mood for a BBQ? No problem, it's there for your use.

The rooms...
...are very nice, super clean and well maintained. Whatever you need, it's there - fridge, freezer, toaster, microwave, TV, etc., washer/dryer, even beach towels. Want to spend a day at the beach? Dean & Sherri offer boogey boards, umbrella, chairs, cooler, as well. The Garden Room faces the back, so should you be sensitive to noise, this is your choice. The Hualalai Rooms was a bit noisier, but still a cosy place to be - you might hear a car every now and then during the night, but nothing that would keep you from sleeping.

The hosts...
...are most welcoming, open, warm-hearted and hospitable. We had a lot of nice chats with them, laughed and just enjoyed being with them. They even invited us to join them and their family for a snorkel tour. They are there when you need them.

Bottom line: we found the "Kona Hula Girl" with Dean & Sherri a wonderful and nice place to stay at in Kona!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights and were somewhat disappointed. It seems that this place is a good value for the money, but we didn't feel like were on an island. This home reminded us something you would find in the midwest. There are no "lush" gardens or sounds of the ocean. This is just a vacation rental in a residential subdivision. Location is pretty nice, but the house is so close together to the other house, that every morning we could clearly hear every word from the construction workers & owners of that house, as I am sure they could hear us. It was literally 20 feet from our window. Windows don't have glass, just shutters - this is great if you have an ocean front house, but it doesn't quite work for this house - you really want some privacy, especially when 4-5 families are sharing one house and there is another house so close. Other than that, everything else was great - very clean, new house, has fridge & microwave... the only problem is the lack of "island feel".

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2010

I was won over by this cute yellow house on its website and was not expecting a lot. Afterall, photos can be deceiving but when we arrived there, it looked exactly the same as it was on the website. We were greeted by Dean and Sherri, who so kindly showed us around the house. Lovely reccommendation by Dean to have our lunch at Lava Java. We ended up eating there for 2 of the 3 days. Sherri also recommended us one of the many guide books they have. We ended up using that for the rest of our stay.

We stayed in the Tiki Studio and fell in love with the room. Great use of space and fully equipped with a microwave and fridge. The room was exceptionally clean and definitely one of the cleanest we had on our Hawaii trip. We literally slept under the moon and stars, when we left the window shutter behind the bed open. The location of the house is superb. Less than a 2 mins drive to nearby Alii Drive and 5 mins away from Walmart. This place is definitely the best value stay we had.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2010

My husband and I had very plesant stay at Kona Hula Gril. This is a very nice house with several units. 5 min from downtown of Kona. The room is very clean and tastfully decorated. The room has their private bathroom, refrigerator, miscorwave, sink, knife, glassware, etc. You could also borrow beach equipment. The owner Dean and Sherri are very friendly and make you feel at home. The price is very reasonable.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Kona Hula Girl? Share your experiences!