“good value” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Kona Islander Inn

You added Kona Islander Inn to your Saves list
Kona Islander Inn
2.5 of 5 Condominium   |   75-5776 Kuakini Highway, Kailua-Kona, Island of Hawaii, HI 96740   |
“good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2005

Nice relaxing low budjet environment. Great value for the dollar. We are definitely going back!!!

• Stayed February 2003

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Nice
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2005

We stayed at the Kona Islander Inn for 1 week for our first trip to the Big Island.When we arrived I was more than impressed it was a lot cuter than the photos. The gardens are beautifully established and maintained. The staff were very very helpful. Our room was very clean and we were in the block over the road from the beach. You request this view and pay a little extra and also request a better room(as they are all owned individually and vary internally). This one had a queen size bed and a queen size sofa couch.There is plenty of space for 2 people although it would also suite maybe a couple with a child. The views were beautiful a cruise ship was docked out front for afew days and there was also surfing out front. It is central to everything so it is so handy if you don't want to get a hire car. It is very close to th Royal Kona Resort for your afternoon Mai tais!! We would definately stay here again, it was very good value for money if you are not too fussy. The pool and barbecue area is also very nice.

• Stayed September 2005
Jackson, NH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2005

We just returned from a wonderful week in Kona (returned on March 24th, 2005) and stayed in Room 352.

According to other reviews this is a hit and miss lodging, depending on the unit, because each unit is owned by individuals that may or may not keep their units clean and updated.

All I can say is we were very happy with room 352 with an oceanview
(see photo), the total cost INCLUDING taxes came to $662.00 for 7 nights, and it's easy to visit all the great restaurants and great sunset watering holes in town quite easily by foot.

For the value, you can't beat it... my biggest complaint is the lack of parking, there is very limited parking, and if you are not nestled into a space by 5pm, you can pretty much forget about parking on the premises for the night. There is some limited parking on the street and across the street from the inn (both diaganolly on the grass. The office also told us we could park next door in the parking lot for one of the small shopping centers. We did not have to use that option... but be aware parking is a problem!

There is no maid service (which is no big deal), but just be aware of that fact, keep the bed neat and the towels on the rack for the next day.

Conclusion, we were happy with Room 352! The noise from the street was not as bad as some have described, as a matter of fact the sound of the ocean waves is the predominant (and peaceful) sound we heard.

The second photo shows our unit from the outside, it's the top floor, second unit from the left.

• Stayed March 2005
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2005

After much internal debate, I give this property a 4 out of 5 as a good, budget alternative to staying at the expensive resorts in the area. But believe it or not, all of the previous reviews, the good and the bad, are accurate. Keep in mind that my rating is for room 205 and the community areas only.

When I booked this over the phone, the lady told me she had a 2-star room with an ocean view, or a 4-star room with a garden view, for the same price ($89 per night).

The rating system was explained to me this way: Since each unit is individually owned, the property management firm had no control over things like how often a unit is painted, what kind of furnishings it would have, etc. Each room is equipped with a microwave, fridge, coffee maker, cabel TV and phone. Everything else could vary by owner.

In order to give guests options, the units are rated from one to four stars, four being the best. Now, really, how much difference could there be between two and four stars? I figured perhaps the furnishings would be older, maybe it would need carpet, but I preferred a room with an ocean view, so I opted for the two star room.

Upon arrival we were given room 148.

Boy, was I wrong about that rating system. Room 148 was a dump, no doubt about it. The furniture consisted of a beat up dresser that looked like someone pulled it out of a thrift store dumpster, a 30 year old rattan couch that smelled like mold and pee, and a bed. The sheets were clean, I checked.

The worst part, though, was the smell. I can only explain it by saying that if you put a wet bath towel in a hamper and sealed it up in front of a sunny window, after a week it wouldn't even come close to smelling as bad as this room did. My husband's eyes literally started watering, and he had to go sit outside.

I went to the office and explained, politely, that although I knew we weren't getting a fancy room, the smell really was horrible, and was there any chance we could move? The staff was very apologetic, and fortunately, there was another room availabe with a garden view and four star rating.

So we moved to room 205.

What a difference, it was like night and day. Lovely furnishings with a homey touch, a couch that didn't reek, fairly new paint and carpet, and a ceiling fan to circulate the air and keep the mold smells at bay. It was a nice place to spend the week at a reasonable price.

A few caveats: Condo is Kona speak for No Maid Service. Don't expect a tiny apartment, it is nothing but a converted hotel. Where there used to be a dressing room with sink and closet, they put in a kitchen sink with a small fridge and microwave, so even though technically you can cook in your room, you are limited to stuff that can be nuked or cooked on an electric appliance. The result of this set up is that the two grills in the pool area are very popular between 4:30 and 8, because a good portion of the guests are tying to cook dinner. We had the best luck by holding off cooking until 7:30 or so.

The pool/garden area is well kept up, and includes a spa. The grills and pool were cleaned daily by the grounds staff.

We saw nothing of the cockroaches other guests mentioned in their reviews, but keep in mind this is Hawaii, and the roaches are everywhere. We wrapped and removed our garbage daily, and any kind of wet waste like fruit rinds or banana peels, we wrapped before placing in the waste basket. Having lived in Hawaii previously, I can attest to the fact that if you don't take those precautions, you will get roaches no matter how clean a place may be. Shoot, we saw roaches scurring down the sidewalks in downtown Kona while we were out walking one night - they truly are just looking for an invitation to call your kitchen home.

Another note: Room 205 is near the office, and I did hear other guests at the office complaining about their rooms and asking to be moved, so I am quite confident that room 148 is not an isolated incident.

Mu suggestion is to book this complex only through the on site management at---------------, and then make sure you are getting a 4 star room. I would take nothing less. As long as you do that, AND don't expect it to be the Marriott, you will more than likely enjoy your stay, because it really is a quiet and pretty complex in a great downtown location, and once we changed rooms we enjoyed it very much.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2005

My husband and I stayed ocean front in room #149 and it was very clean and well kept. Its so nice to just walk out the front door in any diriction and have it all at your finger tips. Its pretty small but who needs a lot of room. It fits a couple just fine.

Reno, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2004

We were in room #342 ocean front building. Clean room and convenient to town. Parking space is limited. Staff friendly. Priced right.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2003

My adult daughter and I stayed at the Islander Inn. Our room was filthy and shabby. The throw pillows on the futon smelled as if they had been slept on for a year by someone with dirty hair. The drapes did not completely cover the patio door, which opened out onto the pool area.
Men in the pool area looked into our apartment. The ceiling fan did not work. The light over the bed did not work. There was no deadbolt on the door. There was a tile floor which was badly stained and dirty, and there were no throw rugs, area rugs, or bathmats. The bed linens were shabby and inadequate. In order to get one of the table lamps to work, I had to repair it. The pool was okay and the hot tub was okay. The staff was friendly, and I liked seeing mongooses running around on the grounds. Blooming plumeria trees and other lush vegetation made the grounds very attractive.

Been to Kona Islander Inn? Share your experiences!