“Kona Bali Kai” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Castle Kona Bali Kai

Save Saved
You added Castle Kona Bali Kai to your Saves list
Castle Kona Bali Kai
3.0 of 5 Lodge   |   76-6246 Alii Dr, Kailua-Kona, Island of Hawaii, HI 96740   |
Murrieta, California
“Kona Bali Kai”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

My husband and I stayed two weeks in building 6, condo 264 in January 2013. I would not recommend this condo to any traveler because it is very shabby with old damaged furniture and appliances. The bedspread is faded and could be forty or more years old. The people below smoked and we could not use our balcony. I complained the second day and nothing was done.
Supposedly, there is a no smoking policy, but it is not enforced.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
CRHHNL, General Manager at Castle Kona Bali Kai, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Aloha

This unit was recently inspected and all of the appliances are working properly. The Linen is new it is just the style selected by the owner. We have a non-smoking policy in all of the units in our rental program, the unit below is owner occupied and Hawaii state law does not provide us with the authority to stop owners from smoking in their units. I did go to the unit and request that they smoke outside. Given the opportunity we would have moved you to a different unit but our occupancy was 100% during your stay. Meeting your expectation is important, if you stay with us in the future please contact me prior to your arrival and I will personally inspect your unit.

312 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

From what I had read about KBK I was a little nervous I must say but I absolutely love the place. We had a sea view from our large lanai (balcony), the condo was large clean with everything that you could have needed. We had a king bed with en suit and a queen bedroom with a toilet just next to it, our kitchen had everything you would need to prep some food. Table and chairs and two sun loungers outside perfect to watch the sea turtles and humpbacks go pass.
Reading through over reviews I feel it’s important to say we did not book through Kona Bali Kai but rather SunnyKonaCondos.com which has two sea facing units. It is run by a lovely lady who helped us with any questions we had.

In fact the only down side I have with our condo is that there is a palm leaf from one of the trees in front which blocks the sunset! So we have to move over a bit too see it a bit, as I say hardly a big problem

Room Tip: As mentioned see if theres different people to book through so you dont get a condo across the road...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Hilo, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

My wife and I had a great romantic 3 night getaway in room 425 over new years. The room had everything we needed and more. The lanai was great and the view was hard to beat. We were at the north end of the building so did not have the best view of the surfing area but the waves came within 30 ft of the building at high tide. The view was palm trees and ocean. Fabulous sunsets.

Parking was convenient and free. We were a ways from the elevator so moving luggage in and out was a bit of a walk but with the available luggage cart it was not a problem. We used the stairs most of the time. Straight up from the car to the room.

It is a little far from town to walk unless you like long walks, but very close if you have a car.

We did not have much contact with the staff but helpful and pleasant was my experience.

The building is older but what I saw was well kept.

Our unit was privately owned so may not like the others. It was a very nice ocean front studio with full kitchen and everything we needed. We were hoping for a great getaway and it was better then we had hoped.

As to sleep, we had very high surf (10 to 15 ft.) and we are not used to it so the first night we did not sleep well but most of the time it would not be nearly as loud and we got used to it by the second night.

Room Tip: From what I have read stick to the ocean side. Can not say much about the other room as many are pr...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

I was sooo disappointed with this condo! Each condo in this place has a different owner. We had number 216 on the second floor. You can't request, nor can you change places once you have reserved a room. The positive is the location. It is very near the town, almost walking distance. The rooms do have a lovely view of the ocean, a large balcony and parking is easily accessed beneath the building. So what's my complaint? The bed was truly like sleeping on a plank of plywood! I spent four nights trying to sleep on the couch. The shower was extremely tiny, so much so that I had to stand sideways. There was No Air Conditioning and we were there in December! The kitchen was extremely HOT. Some of the drawers were broken. The toaster didn't work. The electric stove was crooked. Minimal utensils and cookware were provided. The television was very OLD, small, out of date with a very poor quality picture. I'm not usually one to complain, in fact, this is my first negative report, but I really wanted to let you know what you might end up getting.

Room Tip: All of the rooms on the ocean side have a good ocean view. I was not able to request a room when I...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
CRHHNL, General Manager at Castle Kona Bali Kai, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share some comments about your recent stay. The unit you stayed in has had some recent upgrades. The challenge with mattresses is that every person has different preferences. For any of our guest that have a concern during their stay the General Manager Stephen Hicks is always available should you not be satisfied with the response from our front desk. Our Ocean Front units do not have Air Conditioning and this is clearly stated on our Web Site. The cool ocean breezes are usually enough for most of our guests. If A/C is critical for you’re stay then I recommend our Ocean View Units. I have reviewed the unit and your concerns have been addressed. On your next trip to Hawaii please contact me prior to your arrival and I will ensure that we meet or exceed your expectation.

San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

This property is truly a mixed bag. The partial ocean front which I booked was across the street to ocean, a fairly busy street at that. We decided that this was to be a very local experience. It was not a two star hotel stay. The condo was old and dated but very clean. Cleanliness is our priority. The bed was comfy. Room size adequate. Lots of make shift repairs to keep it functional. If you want a place to eat and sleep with close proximity to ocean. This is it.
It is not by any means luxurious. We did get a local feel though, which we appreciate in our travels.
The reception desk was not particularly friendly. She did her job efficiently, but there was no welcome involved. I'm not sure where the aloha spirit was... But it was not there at that moment.
Let's just simply say, we grew to like it. We were on vacation and the island is beautiful. It's not a place to stay and hang out.... Unless you get the ocean front condo... It was affordable and mostly utilitarian.

Room Tip: If you get a partial ocean view, it's not really an upgrade. The view is negligible for the pric...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Originally, we were scheduled to stay at the Kona Reef. To find out that 'an owner wanted your room, and you are now at our sister hotel'. We found the Kona Bali Kai, and couldn't be happier. It was farther down from the 'main drag'. But the view was incredible! Couldn't ask for a nicer condo, and didn't want to leave the balcony! It was spacious, clean and would LOVE to go back!
Only down side, is you don't get greated with 'aloha and mahalo' as often on the Big Island, but can't wait to go back!
Mahalo to the owner who had to have our room at the Kona Reef. It ended up being a great vacation. Have to try Da Poke Shack....very good Poke...locals love it, so that says it all!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Wow what have I paid for.
Smoke detector has been disarmed and is hanging unplugged from ceiling
Kitchen fitly
Cutting board, needs replacing
dishes so dirty ( need to boil water to wash dishes)
No water pressure (accidentally left sink on while in other room, came back 15 minutes later and sink was half full)
no hot water
No additional bedding, for hideabed/futon
pillows are atrocious
bed is terrible, a rock would have more contours
All window screens are broken
carpet is filthy
tile is broken and moves as you wallk across the floor
Lanai feels like it is going to collapse, or was built at a very obtuse angle
Everything is greasy and unacceptably dirty
no lights work in living area
tv is 15 inches, remote's don't work
Futon/ couch is disgusting, stained and smells
Unit has a very bad stale aroma
Bath and tile has allot of black growing in corners
No water pressure
Shower head needs cleaning, severely clogged
Shower head may be as old as this unit
blinds are stained with who knows what
No air circulation
AC is old does not work that well and sounds like a freight train when on
The grocery store has a better view
3 miles away from any grocery stores
front desk staff says NO before they check
You have to pay to have your towels or sheets cleaned per cleaning $45.00
$5.00 per day for safe key
$1.50 for (4 cup ) packet hotel style coffee package
Wow I feel juiced
Check in is at 3pm and not a moment before
Pool towels are only available from 8am-10pm and must be returned nightly, or they charge you??? let me pay a deposit and I will return them when I am done
Ethernet only internet in the room/ no wifi
Old style keys and locks.

Room Tip: Find somewhere else, Hawaii is full of decently priced, clean options.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Aloha,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us. It is disappointing to know that everything in your unit was unacceptable. We work with our team to ensure that every guest has a positive experience at our resorts. I hope that on your next trip to Hawaii we are able to provide you with a more positive experience.

Mahalo,

Stephen Hicks

Been to Castle Kona Bali Kai? Share your experiences!