“lovely” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Kona Resort

You added Royal Kona Resort to your Saves list
Royal Kona Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   75-5852 Alii Drive, Kailua-Kona, Island of Hawaii, HI 96740   |
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
Toronto, Canada
“lovely”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

My husband and I stayed here the first night of our honeymoon and we loved it! I would have gladly stayed here our entire trip. We arrived at night and were greeted with such a beautiful view in the morning, we loved the open lobby and surrounding area and breakfast was great. The room was also big and clean, great location! Would absolutely stay here again!

Room Tip: We had partial ocean view and it was great!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
DofSales, General Manager at Royal Kona Resort, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Aloha TA family, it's really nice to see these honeymooners had a great stay with us, too bad they weren't able to spend their whole stay with us, we'll make sure we keep them on the radar for their first Anniversary next year. I'm glad they loved the view from their room, the open air lobby, tasty breakfast and of course the great location we have. Glad to know we exceeded their expectations!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (499)
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

After being disappointed with our accommodations at the Outrigger, we cancelled and decided to try the Royal Kona Resort. What a wonderful surprise! Our room was spacious, clean and comfortable and we had a view of the ocean with a large balcony. The location was excellent! Kailua-Kona shops, restaurants and attractions were all within walking distance. Don The Beachcomber was on the premises, right on the water - the waves and ocean setting were amazing. I highly recommend a sunset dinner here.
The room rates were a fantastic value and we would happily stay here again on our return visit to Hawaii.
I lost my camera and it was returned promptly to me at no charge by Michelle in housekeeping and Malvena in security...another pleasant surprise as I had over 1,000 photos from our vacation.
I recommend the Royal Kona Resort to all my friends and family.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
DofSales, General Manager at Royal Kona Resort, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Aloha TA family, different strokes for different folks, and it's apparent we're just right for these pleased guests from San Francisco. I'm glad we were able to meet and exceed all of their expectations, from being a terrific value, to our clean well maintained rooms, great food and beverage and of course our unbeatable location. I'm glad they were able to retrieve their camera too, icing on the cake. Really glad they enjoyed and shared with us. Mahalo!!
Usa, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

We just returned from a fantastic five night stay! I really enjoyed the ocean view room. It was great to wake up and have Kona coffee on our balcony watching the waves crash! We would definitely stay here again. This is a great place to stay for a good value!

Room Tip: Get the oceanfront room it is worth the extra money!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Aloha Ta family, it's great to see we've exceeded another guests expectations again. Glad they enjoyed their five night stay and the great views from our rooms, Sitting on your lanai watching the waves drinking your coffee is definitely a great way to enjoys your day. Really glad they had a nice stay, and even more so that they chose to share with us. Warmest Mahalo!
Marion, In
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

This is without a doubt one of the most beautiful resorts on the island! We got upgraded to an ocean front room free of charge because we were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary! The management sent us up a bottle of champagne too!The staff was very friendly and helpful. They have fruit flavored, cool water in the lobby, The gardens and decor are magnificent! The room was clean, and very comfortable. You are within walking distance of shopping, restaurants, and attractions. I highly recommend staying here. It is a great value and a wonderful place. If we are ever lucky enough to go back to The Big Island we will for sure stay here again!

Room Tip: The room we had was clean, quiet, and beautifully decorated. I highly recommend!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Aloha TA family, sounds like we hit the spot with these guests! Really glad they chose to celebrate their anniversary with us, and that they had such a great experience. Although we're not the marble and glass palace some people think we are, we do go out of our way whenever possible to ensure all of our guests expectations are met and exceeded. I'm glad they shared that they had such a wonderful stay, we'll look forward to seeing them again soon. Mahalo!
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

I thought the hotel itself was beautiful and the location was really great! Compared to other hotels in the area, I was happy with an ocean view room for the price. The things I didn't like so much.... it was really noisy. My room also faced the pool, so during the day (not that I was there much) I could hear pool noise, and at night either loud music that wasn't my style or people being loud at the bar. I admit I was in the room early for the night...usually by 8 or 9 because I was alone and would get up early to go explore...but always noise and closing the door didn't block much. The other thing was that the bed wasn't that comfy. it was ok, but the sheets weren't as soft as I would have expected and the blanket was super thin, so I was cold when the air was on.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Aloha TA family, I'm glad they thought our resort was OK, and glad they thought the resort overall was beautiful and loved the location, it's too bad the activity at the pool below their room was an inconvenience. We try to ensure all of our guests enjoy their experience with us, I'm sorry we may not have with these guest. I hope they enjoyed their time on the island regardless. Mahalo!
Yuba City, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

When we booked into this resort we thought by obtaining an oceanfront room we'd be getting something that was top of the line. What a disappointment. Though the view on one side of the room (other side looked over their maintenance shed) was beautiful we were totally disgusted with the condition of the room. The bathroom was terrible as the tub had rust all around the fixtures and there was a hole and rust in the bathtub. There was no vanity counter space to speak of except for a small area outside of the bathroom. Although the small vanity space had a sink, the only place to plug in the coffee pot was on the edge of the sink and we had to make sure it didn't topple into the sink or onto floor while brewing. The carpet in the room was not clean, but the carpet on the lanai was even worse. It was not only dirty but had holes in it. The furnishings are also outdated. The outside railing on the lanai was rusted and in poor condition. Next door to us they were renovating the room. When my wife asked one of the workers about our room they indicated it had just been renovated. Though the room was not in good condition, we spent several evenings in the restaurant/bar areas. These areas are the best features of this resort. The views from the restaurant/bar were lovely and the food/service was average. However, we will not return nor recommend this resort.

Room Tip: We would not recommend a room at this resort as we had purchased an oceanfront suite. Can't ima...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Aloha TA family, really dissapointed to know we let this guest down. I'm glad they enjoyed the great food and beverages at Don's Mai Tai Bar, but I'm concerned about the condition of their room they mention. I've sent a personal message and am awaiting their reply. Mahalo
Wausau, WI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Hotel was adequate. Rooms were clean and staff was friendly. Great location, however, this place needs a facelift. Rooms are old and used looking. Lots of old and peeling paint. Place just looks tired. Would have expected a better result for the price. Breakfast was approx. $18 per person and fine, but not spectacular for that price. Overall, it was fine, but not what I expected for a "resort".

Room Tip: Try to book a room in the Alii tower rather than the lagoon tower. Kind of a long way to haul your...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Aloha TA family, Well, I know they won't be writing home about it, but it sounds like they really had a nice time in Koan staying with us regardless. Glad they enjoyed our clean rooms, friendly staff and great location. As I say, we're not the newest kid on the block, but we do strive to provide clean well maintained rooms and grounds for our guests to enjoy. Glad they shared, glad they had a nice vacation!

Been to Royal Kona Resort? Share your experiences!