“Loved the room” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Kona Resort

You added Royal Kona Resort to your Saves list
Royal Kona Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   75-5852 Alii Drive, Kailua-Kona, Island of Hawaii, HI 96740   |
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
Melbourne, Australia
“Loved the room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We had a 3rd floor room on the beach side - awesome view. The room was fine, not the most modern but clean and reasonable, facilities were good. I loved that there was a separate coffee making area with its own sink (so you didn't have to use the bathroom to make coffee - yuk). Had a great time at the luau and loved the proximity of the hotel to the town. Staff helpful, and let us in early (as soon as the room was cleaned) which was a lovely change from the previous hotel we stayed at in Waikiki.

Room Tip: Ask for one on the beach side, but not on the ground floor as another guest told us the sound of the...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
DofSales, Director of Sales at Royal Kona Resort, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Aloha TA family, sounds like this seasoned traveler had a wonderful stay with us. We truly do have clean comfortable well maintained rooms and facility for our guests to enjoy. Buyer beware, we're not the newest resort on the block, nor claim to be. If you compare apples to apples, we're the best value for location in Kona, hands down. We also strive to provide great customer service with Aloha, and great food and beverage. I'm glad they enjoyed, and shared their stay with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (569)
Edmonton, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a two night stay at the Royal Kona Resort, and were quite disappointed. The first room we got placed in was right beside the elevator, with two double beds when we had requested a king. It was immediately obvious that the room was run down, with torn carpeting on the balcony and a very outdated bathroom.

We did get moved to a king bed room, however we slightly regretted it since the mattress caused both of us to roll to the middle. We both strongly feel that the resort should invest in updating their rooms, especially their bathrooms. Both of us had to crouch in the shower in order to get our hair wet. It looked like we stepped into the 70's.

The woman in charge of helping you organize activities wasn't as informative as we would have desired either. We were looking for information on how to rent kayaks to the Captain Cook monument, but she was unable to provide any knowledge and was searching on the internet (something we ended up doing ourselves).

Other than location, the Royal Kona Resort has little going for it. I would recommend staying elsewhere!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha TA Family, sounds like we missed the mark with these guest. Sorry to hear they weren't pleased with their accommodations, we certainly try to meet all of our guest needs and requests. Dissappointed about the bed comment, have sent them a PM to determine which room they stayed in. I truly hope they enjoyed the Big Island, and all the wonderful things she has to offer. Mahalo,
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Before booking our trips from Sweden we usually look at trip advisor for some help when arranging Hotel stays. We booked seven nights at The Royal Kona Resort and hoped for the best after reading so many negative comments about the place.
You will not find a better place to stay for your money. The room we have is an Ocean front view with views over the ocean, beautifully kept gardens and the pool area. Large balcony, very comfortable kingsize bed nice looking furniture, safe in room without extra cost, small fridge and a steam iron with ironing board both in very good condition. Bathroom is fitted with what you would expect with the added luxury of a bathtub which my wife enjoys and the water pressure perfect. Parking cost 10 dollars a day and is only yards from our room with security at the gates. Staff very helpful, food and drinks very good and affordable. Hanging out for breakfast or a late night cocktail the views will always be stunning. 40 dollars for a week of wi fi anywhere on the property seems to be ok with me. So if you are thinking of staying here do not hesitate remember this is Hawaii so do not expect dollar beers and free parking. Best place i have stayed in ever.

Room Tip: Book a room on the ocean and sleep to the waves crashing against the rocks.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha TA family, different strokes for different folks, but it's pretty apparent that these guests had a wonderful time. They did their homework, read between the lines, and in turn, had an amazing Hawaiian Vacation. Their review says it all. I'm truly glad they enjoyed their stay, and shared their experience with us. Wherever your travels take you, do a little research, leg work to ensure you're getting what you paid for. Our goal is to meet and exceed expectations! Warmest Mahalo,
Melborne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

My husband and I recently married and stayed at the Royal Kona Resort. We had a simply amazing time relaxing by the pool which overlooks magnificent views of the ocean and rock formations, dining in the Mai Tai Bar (happy hour is very cost effective) and enjoying all the facilities the resort has to offer. We arranged our wedding day via the Royal Kona Resort Romance Center - the team there were fantastic! They organised everything for our special day from hair and make-up, flowers, venue set up and guided us in the process required to be married overseas. I highly recommend the venue and the team - Ashley and Brian. If you are thinking of marrying in Kona, this is a great location and venue for a big or small wedding. Thank you Royal Kona Resort!!

Room Tip: Corner King Room - amazing - wrap around Lanai with stunning 180 degree view of the ocean. Separate...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha TA family, wonderful to know these newlyweds had such a great time getting married here with us at the Royal Kona Resort. Our Romance Team truly goes the extra mile to ensure your special event is flawless. So glad they shared, and chose to share this special day with us, we'll look forward to their return anniversary stay next time! Mahalo Nui Loa,
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

This hotel has a location on the water and close to Kona town. It could be so much better with a little TLC and effort. She's very old and tired, and seems to survive on group tours. Check in gave us no information. no bellhop or directions to our room. Pay extra for Internet, parking. Towels in the room are minimal, with a texture reminiscent of high school gym towels. Not even a shower
cap. Don't get me started on the filthy carpet.
Noisy at night as well. especially interesting to hear your neighbor on the balcony.
I remember this hotel many years ago as a good choice in Kona. Not so much anymore.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha TA family, disappointing to hear we didn't live up to this guests expectations. I have sent a PM to this customer to determine room location, so I can rectify their concerns. I've said it many times, we're not the newest kid on the block, but do strive to provide a clean, well maintained resort for our guests. Topped with great staff and food and beverage for the best value for location in Kona. I do hope they were able to enjoy their stay on the Big Island.
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

I stayed at the Royal Kona in December 2012 to attend a friend's wedding. It was my first trip to Hawaii and I was a single traveller. I picked the Royal Kona because that's where the wedding was being held. If that wasn't the case, I may not have stayed there.

Room
I will agree with many other reviewers that the rooms could use a facelift. The carpet is old and the bathrooms are dated. That being said, the rooms were very clean, extra-large and with exactly the view you'd want for your Hawaiian vacation. The bed in my room also left something to be desired... a more comfortable bed could have definitely made a difference.

My room was in the Bay Tower (to the right when facing the ocean) on the third floor. It is true that rooms in the Bay Tower are near some restaurants and you may/will hear music at night. It wasn't every night and was never a huge deal for me (and I'm an early to bed person). I'm pretty sure 11pm was the cut off time each night, but FYI if that's something that might bother you.
I will say that my room had the best view, overlooking Kona Bay. I visited friends in the Ali'i Tower (middle) and Lagoon Tower (to the left). The wedding couple in the Ali'i tower had a view that overlooked the central part of the resort (pools, luau area) and ocean. The friends in the Lagoon tower overlooked the salt water lagoon, ocean and a hotel on the other side of the lagoon (it wasn't in your face close, but it was close enough for them to close the blinds on that side of the room). All three rooms were corner kings. My view of the bay included the huge yellow tangs that I could see from my balcony in the tides to the dolphins regularly swimming in the bay (even swimming with the human swimmers - oh how I would have loved to be one of those people!). The corner king was nice - it was panoramic views with sliding wooden doors to open and close. Very tropical/classic.

Hotel
The rest of the hotel is very clean and nice. The time that I was hanging out at the hotel was usually at the bar. I didn't spend enough time at the restaurant, pool, lagoon, etc to comment on it either way. All seemed nice as I was walking by.

Location
I loved the location of this resort. It was a very touristy area of Kona, which was perfect for the solo person to walk around.

Rates
Here's where a lot of my rating/reason for reviewing comes from. The bride sent us a PDF of the rates for the wedding guests. She quoted us ~$140 per night for an ocean view room, ~$160 for an ocean view with breakfast for two each morning. I went to the resort webpage and was surprised they offered the same ocean view room at ~$140 per night, but including the breakfast AND car rental. I called up to confirm and clarify. Turns out, I could get that same special rate, and if I didn't want breakfast and the car rental, they would deduct it. In the end I paid $85 per night (no breakfast, no car rental (I did that on my own)) AND after checking in found out I got a corner king room. ***DISCLAIMER: I make no promises to the past or future accuracy or applicability of these rates, nor claim that it will work for anyone.***
Though I was thrilled for myself, I did mention it to the bride. I know I would have wanted the best rate for my guests and think they should have been offered at least the same special including breakfast and car rental as was advertised on the website.

As a solo traveller, in the awesome view, corner king room for the rate that I paid, I was very happy and that's why I went with a rating of 4. If I was there as a couple, paying the full rate of the corner rooms that my friends were, I might have thought otherwise.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Aloha Ta family! Thorough review I must say, glad this guest had a nice time with us attending a friends wedding. Our rooms, especially in the Bay Tower have amazing views, and are the best value for the best location in Kona (you've heard me say that once I think in the past) LOL in regards to rates, packages and special offers, I just want to share that depending on when someone books, occupancy fluctuates, and certain offers may or may not be available. One day they are the next they aren't. Please take heed of this wherever you travel, do your homework, and ask. Most times, hotels like ours are more than willing to accommodate an offer seen on the web, but each case is unique. All in all, a satisfied customer, glad they shared! Mahalo!!
Proctorville
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Very nice grounds and setting,only complaint is that the beds were not comfortable at all,older hotel.The staff that we encountered were very friendly.The location was perfect,close to everything.We only stayed one night .Parking was 10 $ but close and convenient,would stay here again.

Room Tip: Bay tower was very quiet ,had ocean front room,but did not use it much so next time would probably j...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha TA Family, sounds like these guests had a great time, and enjoyed their stay with us. I did send them a PM to find out which room they occupied so we can replace the bed. We normally have wonderful comments on the comfort of our beds, so I'm disappointed to know they weren't satisfied. Mahalo Nui Loa,

Been to Royal Kona Resort? Share your experiences!