“Very Very Average” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Kona Resort

You added Royal Kona Resort to your Saves list
Royal Kona Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   75-5852 Alii Drive, Kailua-Kona, Island of Hawaii, HI 96740   |
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
Portland, Oregon
“Very Very Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Don't get too excited...it's a very average hotel with no special amenities. The property is very dated and the room was down right depressing. The linens-towels, sheets were just as bad.
No extra towels were provided and we had to call twice to get a blanket delivered. The location is in downtown Kona - which itself is a bit data and somewhat seedy in my opinion. The upside, the hotel is close to shops and restaurants.
The positives: the bar had a lovely view, great servers and nice hefty pour.
If we didn't have an ocean view and were there for a full week of vacation - I would have switched hotels. But we had the ocean view and were there only 3 nights...trying to spend every moment possible away from the hotel.
If you are traveling on a tight budget and not looking for a romantic get-away, then the value is there. If not, I'd skip it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
DofSales, Director of Sales at Royal Kona Resort, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Aloha TA family, I'd like to share that if you're not satisfied with your room (wherever you stay in the world) try talking with the front desk staff. I'm not sure about this guest, but many times, guest go on line (or with their travel agent) and look for the best deal they can find. But that't not always the case, many times the front desk has managers specials, where you can purchase an upgrade for a fraction it would cost, based on inventory availability. I'm only speaking for my resort, but I guarantee other resorts like us want our guests happy, so they can take home wonderful memories of their vacation. If your not fully satisfied, talk to the staff, and make a change. Much mahalo!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (499)
Durham NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

This hotel was built in 1968 when there was no airport on the west side of the island. It's classic like the Ilikai in Oahu. The place is a little worn, but you can't beat the price and the location and the facilities. Walk down the street to Huggo's for good breakfasts. And the best prices on mac nuts and kona coffee, and I mean the best prices, are from an 83 year old woman in a van right in front of Huggo's. We'd certainly stay at the Royal Kona again!

Room Tip: ask for the main building
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Aloha TA crew, this well traveled guest nailed it short and sweet, we're definitely the best value for the best location in Kona, hands down. Do your homework, ask, check around, call. We're a moderate resort, with great views,staff, food and beverage. Mahalo!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012 via mobile

We decided to splurge and get the corner king ocean view room. It was a great view and we could see the ocean and the lagoon but this was the best part of the stay.
Once we arrived the TV remote wouldn't work. We'd just had a long drive from Volcano and I just wanted to watch TV then have a shower. Maintenance came and replaced it. After I'd relaxed with the TV a bit I went to have a shower and the shower head broke when the water was turned on. Back down to reception asking to be moved as the room was clearly in need of repair and who knew what was going to break next. They advised they had no other corner kings available and would send maintenance again, they then offered to refund our parking cost for the inconvenience which was appreciated, (was $20.) From reading other reviews we were clearly in the "crappy" tower but paid the same rate as the others.
The luau is very, very loud if you aren't attending or trying to get an early night sleep. It was on both nights we stayed and I was grateful I hadn't booked an early flight out when we were leaving.
The bar area was really nice looking out over the ocean crashing over the rocks. Would have to get there early to secure an ocean front seat. The food at the bar was tasty and drinks strong (stronger out of happy hour) - was also well priced.
We stayed some amazing places in Hawaii, and this was the highest cost per night of all of them. In comparison to all the other resorts/hotels/B&B it offered the least value for money and I feel we overpaid for what we got.

• Stayed November 2012
Aloha TA family! Best comment to share with this review is make sure you do your homework, check around, call, ask questions before you travel. Our goal is to provide a clean and well maintained resort for the best value for the best location in Kona. I'm glad they enjoyed the views, and the great food and libation we offer, and am working with them to rectify the discrepancies they encountered in their room. Mahalo!
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

For what you pay it is a great hotel. The bar does great mai tais and they are awesome value during happy hour. The bar staff are all really friendly.

The hotel has everything you need and although the staff (excl bar staff) aren't that friendly or helpful, it is still a great place and central to everything in Kona. It has a great view and the sunsets are great.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Aloha TA viewers, this guest from Down Under appears to have had a great holiday. We met and in some cases met their expectations. I'm glad they were able to enjoy the resort, the food and beverages at Don's Mai Tai Bar, the best bar in Kona for food libation, dolphin and sunset watching hands down. Much Mahalo!
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We had an ocean-facing junior suite and a package deal. Right on the ocean and walkable to the main shopping area, both great points. However, our room badly needed new furniture and a facelift. Bath towels were thin and strictly one-to-a-person. Soap and shampoo were provided, no lotion. And the luau at the hotel is very loud until 10 pm, 4 nights a week. Small pool and sunning area seemed to be sufficient; there's also a salt water lagoon to splash in but we didn't try it; drove to a beach instead. They charge extra for parking and wifi, and the wifi charge is per device, not per room, so buyer beware. All in all, there are better places to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room away from the luau noise.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Aloha TA family, guest make a great point regarding our location and the views from our room, sorry they felt there are better places to stay, and I'm sure you can find them if you are willing to pay for them. We advertise ourselves as a moderately priced resort, that strives to provide the best value for the best location in Kona, hands down. Also, to clarify, our authentic, traditional luau operates M/T/W and Friday, from 5p-8p. Warmest Mahalo!
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

the resort is nice and professional. grounds are well kept.nice open lobby and bar area.pools looked ok. restaurant was large but ok.
no real beach but does have its own lagoon which was a plus, waves would crash in but the rocks blocked and calmed them down.nice small sandy area and nice for minor snorkeling.
they have there own luau but we didn't do that one.good location to all the shops and restaurants. no beaches close by,you had to drive.
but i was dissatisfied with rooms they are some what old, the worn carpet on the floors was raggedy looking and kinda yucky.bathroom was ok. extra sink and a fridge in room was good,bed was comfortable.

Room Tip: ocean views are pricer
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Aloha TA family, I'm glad these guests enjoyed all we have to offer here at the Royal Kona. Our location, great staff, grounds, and our private lagoon. Just remember our lagoon is just that, a safe, protected lagoon, that has a wonderful variety of fish, eels, crabs and even green sea turtles at high tide. it's not for "Diver Dan" who wants to explore the depths and wrecks, it's 5 feet deep at high tide, and 4 feet at low (give or take) I'm also in conversation with this guest to gather info on their room, so we can rectify the discrepancies they mentioned. Remember, we strive to offer the best value for the best location in Kona! Mahalo
Wisconsin, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Spent 4 nights at the Royal Kona Resort. I was originally booked at the Keahou Beach, but that hotel closed and I was re-booked at the Royal Kona. I'm so glad I was. The resort is the first resort on the south end of Ali'i Drive where all the shops and restaurants are. So just a short walk and you are in the middle of all the bustle of tourism. I have never stayed at a "resort" before so I did not know what to expect. I arrived at 12:30 so my room was not ready. I was able to park (it costs $10 per day for parking) and take a walk up the road to see what Kona had to offer. I also spent some time just sitting in the lobby enjoying the ocean breeze. I checked back at the desk at 2:45 and the room was still being cleaned. When I came back at 3, my room was ready and the guy said they had upgraded me to an ocean front room due to the delay. Well, check-in time is really 3 so I was very impressed with this. My room was in the Lagoon Tower and the view was wonderful. Palm trees, waves crashing against the rocks and sparkling blue water. The resort does host a luau several nights a week so you do get the noise from that, but it's over in the early evening and does not interrupt your sleep. In fact, I did not notice any noise other than the waves from my room. The resort has a pool and private salt water lagoon. There is a bar and restaurant and a spa. I did eat one meal at the bar and nothing is better than sitting outside and seeing dolphins playing while eating. The hotel could use some updating. The carpets were worn and the bathroom was quite small. The tub had hardly any storage area for anything more than a bar of soap. But everyone was very friendly and you were greeted with a smile. I did not eat breakfast as it was $16 and there were plenty of places in town where you could find a cheaper meal. Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel for it's location and service!

Room Tip: Ocean front are worth the upgrade!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Aloha TA reviewers, its great to see we were able to win over a guest who is a seasoned traveler, and a very frequent visitor of one of our competitors who met a sad fate. I'm pleased to know they truly had a great stay. They have great comments and tips, so be sure to read their review thoroughly. We'll be looking forward to seeing these guest again and again in the future. Much Mahalo,

Been to Royal Kona Resort? Share your experiences!