“best value in the area” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Kona Resort

You added Royal Kona Resort to your Saves list
Royal Kona Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   75-5852 Alii Drive, Kailua-Kona, Island of Hawaii, HI 96740   |
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
Durham NC
“best value in the area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

This hotel was built in 1968 when there was no airport on the west side of the island. It's classic like the Ilikai in Oahu. The place is a little worn, but you can't beat the price and the location and the facilities. Walk down the street to Huggo's for good breakfasts. And the best prices on mac nuts and kona coffee, and I mean the best prices, are from an 83 year old woman in a van right in front of Huggo's. We'd certainly stay at the Royal Kona again!

Room Tip: ask for the main building
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
DofSales, Director of Sales at Royal Kona Resort, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Aloha TA crew, this well traveled guest nailed it short and sweet, we're definitely the best value for the best location in Kona, hands down. Do your homework, ask, check around, call. We're a moderate resort, with great views,staff, food and beverage. Mahalo!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012 via mobile

We decided to splurge and get the corner king ocean view room. It was a great view and we could see the ocean and the lagoon but this was the best part of the stay.
Once we arrived the TV remote wouldn't work. We'd just had a long drive from Volcano and I just wanted to watch TV then have a shower. Maintenance came and replaced it. After I'd relaxed with the TV a bit I went to have a shower and the shower head broke when the water was turned on. Back down to reception asking to be moved as the room was clearly in need of repair and who knew what was going to break next. They advised they had no other corner kings available and would send maintenance again, they then offered to refund our parking cost for the inconvenience which was appreciated, (was $20.) From reading other reviews we were clearly in the "crappy" tower but paid the same rate as the others.
The luau is very, very loud if you aren't attending or trying to get an early night sleep. It was on both nights we stayed and I was grateful I hadn't booked an early flight out when we were leaving.
The bar area was really nice looking out over the ocean crashing over the rocks. Would have to get there early to secure an ocean front seat. The food at the bar was tasty and drinks strong (stronger out of happy hour) - was also well priced.
We stayed some amazing places in Hawaii, and this was the highest cost per night of all of them. In comparison to all the other resorts/hotels/B&B it offered the least value for money and I feel we overpaid for what we got.

• Stayed November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars
Aloha TA family! Best comment to share with this review is make sure you do your homework, check around, call, ask questions before you travel. Our goal is to provide a clean and well maintained resort for the best value for the best location in Kona. I'm glad they enjoyed the views, and the great food and libation we offer, and am working with them to rectify the discrepancies they encountered in their room. Mahalo!
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

For what you pay it is a great hotel. The bar does great mai tais and they are awesome value during happy hour. The bar staff are all really friendly.

The hotel has everything you need and although the staff (excl bar staff) aren't that friendly or helpful, it is still a great place and central to everything in Kona. It has a great view and the sunsets are great.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MattSmith1983
Aloha TA viewers, this guest from Down Under appears to have had a great holiday. We met and in some cases met their expectations. I'm glad they were able to enjoy the resort, the food and beverages at Don's Mai Tai Bar, the best bar in Kona for food libation, dolphin and sunset watching hands down. Much Mahalo!
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We had an ocean-facing junior suite and a package deal. Right on the ocean and walkable to the main shopping area, both great points. However, our room badly needed new furniture and a facelift. Bath towels were thin and strictly one-to-a-person. Soap and shampoo were provided, no lotion. And the luau at the hotel is very loud until 10 pm, 4 nights a week. Small pool and sunning area seemed to be sufficient; there's also a salt water lagoon to splash in but we didn't try it; drove to a beach instead. They charge extra for parking and wifi, and the wifi charge is per device, not per room, so buyer beware. All in all, there are better places to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room away from the luau noise.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lsc_Denver
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

the resort is nice and professional. grounds are well kept.nice open lobby and bar area.pools looked ok. restaurant was large but ok.
no real beach but does have its own lagoon which was a plus, waves would crash in but the rocks blocked and calmed them down.nice small sandy area and nice for minor snorkeling.
they have there own luau but we didn't do that one.good location to all the shops and restaurants. no beaches close by,you had to drive.
but i was dissatisfied with rooms they are some what old, the worn carpet on the floors was raggedy looking and kinda yucky.bathroom was ok. extra sink and a fridge in room was good,bed was comfortable.

Room Tip: ocean views are pricer
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank townshipplumbing
Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Spent 4 nights at the Royal Kona Resort. I was originally booked at the Keahou Beach, but that hotel closed and I was re-booked at the Royal Kona. I'm so glad I was. The resort is the first resort on the south end of Ali'i Drive where all the shops and restaurants are. So just a short walk and you are in the middle of all the bustle of tourism. I have never stayed at a "resort" before so I did not know what to expect. I arrived at 12:30 so my room was not ready. I was able to park (it costs $10 per day for parking) and take a walk up the road to see what Kona had to offer. I also spent some time just sitting in the lobby enjoying the ocean breeze. I checked back at the desk at 2:45 and the room was still being cleaned. When I came back at 3, my room was ready and the guy said they had upgraded me to an ocean front room due to the delay. Well, check-in time is really 3 so I was very impressed with this. My room was in the Lagoon Tower and the view was wonderful. Palm trees, waves crashing against the rocks and sparkling blue water. The resort does host a luau several nights a week so you do get the noise from that, but it's over in the early evening and does not interrupt your sleep. In fact, I did not notice any noise other than the waves from my room. The resort has a pool and private salt water lagoon. There is a bar and restaurant and a spa. I did eat one meal at the bar and nothing is better than sitting outside and seeing dolphins playing while eating. The hotel could use some updating. The carpets were worn and the bathroom was quite small. The tub had hardly any storage area for anything more than a bar of soap. But everyone was very friendly and you were greeted with a smile. I did not eat breakfast as it was $16 and there were plenty of places in town where you could find a cheaper meal. Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel for it's location and service!

Room Tip: Ocean front are worth the upgrade!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank tine1281
Aloha TA reviewers, its great to see we were able to win over a guest who is a seasoned traveler, and a very frequent visitor of one of our competitors who met a sad fate. I'm pleased to know they truly had a great stay. They have great comments and tips, so be sure to read their review thoroughly. We'll be looking forward to seeing these guest again and again in the future. Much Mahalo,
Bishop, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Before staying here, I read several reviews and was left with the impression that this was not that great of a resort. I was pleased to experience something different. I stayed here for 3 nights in a corner king ocean front room. The entire resort could use some TLC, but overall it was a good resort to stay at and I will do so again in the future. The room was comfortable and provided an excellent ocean view with a large lanai. It is located extremely close to downtown Kona and all of the major restaurants which made strolling and shopping convenient.
Give this resort a try!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the Alii Tower on the north side of the building. This way you have a great view...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank 8640
Aloha TA family, this seasoned traveler said it all. We offer our clientele truly the best value for the best location in Kona. Its true, we're not the newest kid on the block, but we strive to provide a clean and well maintained resort. Can't beat our prices, and the views, service, food and beverages are some of the best in Kona! Mahalo!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kailua-Kona
Courtyard King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Wyndham Kona Hawaiian Resort
Wyndham Kona Hawaiian Resort
#3 of 14 in Kailua-Kona
4.5 of 5 stars 605 reviews

Been to Royal Kona Resort? Share your experiences!