“A large Motel but good Kona value” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Kona Seaside Hotel

You added Kona Seaside Hotel to your Saves list
Kona Seaside Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   75-5646 Palani Road, Kailua-Kona, Island of Hawaii, HI 96740   |
Hotel packages
Announcement
FREE Wi-FI, NO RESORT FEE
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
la
“A large Motel but good Kona value”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

My impression of the Kona Seaside Hotel is a bit colored since I had spent 3 days at their sister Hilo property. At the hotel I a had room 4008 which had a sea view and in the main building. There are rooms that looked less inviting in a motel setting.
It was strange to me that the ice machine is only available from the morning until 6 pm or so... Why ? I don't understand that, and it is by the pool , not in the main building.
I was in Kona on business and one of the locals called the place a "dump".
Having said that, the hotel is in in town by the harbor and has a good view if your room is facing that way.
The rate I had through AAA at $105.00 with breakfast . is unbeatable in Kona. The major Hilton and Marriot resorts are 25 miles out of town and are at least twice as expensive.
Thr breakfast at Tante's restaurant was excellent. I had the short stack (2 pancakes) that came with a cheese and ham omlette and was more than enough. Dinner was OK for the price, but a not bad value compared to other places in Kona.
Bottom line, if you go into this place with the mind set of no extravagent expections (like a replacement for the Hilton Waikola Village) you should be pleasantly surprised.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Dallas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

Booked a one night stay at this hotel. Wasn't expecting Four Seasons accomodations or service. Just looking for value for the money paid. Tried to check in at 7:00p.m. No one at the front desk for over 5 minutes. Was then stunned to find out that our room wasn't ready. Told us they were "refreshing it". I asked what that means and was told the room wasn't ready. Receptionist told us to wait in the lobby. Pulled out my $5.00 to pay for a parking pass as signs clearly warn your car will be towed, and was told that the parking lot was full and would have to park in the public lot blocks away. Seriously. Finally allowed to check in. Room was clean. Old style tv's, guys drinking beer outside. Baby crying next door. Get a call from front desk telling us that we wrongly booked a locals only rate. Told the lady I in fact booked a corporate rate and had the confirmation to prove it. After a minor argument, she said she would have to check on it. No call back. Next morning discover we need breakfast passes for the included breakfast and weren't given any by the front desk. Go to get them and another lady argues with me that the corporate rate doesn't inculde breakfast. I show her my confirmation that clearly states breakfast is included. She says it's wrong. I say it's not my fault. She says it's wrong. I say how is that my fault. She grumbles and gives me breakfast passes. Makes copy of my confirmation saying breakfast is included and says she needs to show the manager because it's wrong. Really??? Run from this place!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

We needed a couple nights in Kona before we went onto our fancy resort. I did Priceline for this room, didn't pay much didn't get much! I was very confused it said online that there was free parking, free breakfast and free wifi. When I get there I find out...... Free parking is off to another lot. You have to pay if you want to park at the hotel, free breakfast was not included in my package. I never saw that it wasn't and the third thing was free wifi only from the lobby. No wifi in our room :( OH and also we had prepaid for two nights and after the first night they called and asked why we had not checked out yet and pretty much argued to my husband that we needed to be out already. Then they called back later when she found out she was wrong.
Good thing I didn't pay too much, the beds were old and very uncomfortable. Plus only one ice machine on the lower level. I must say it was CLEAN and the people at the desk were nice. So we had an okay time. It was a great location.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
kimiwoodd, Director of Sales at Kona Seaside Hotel, responded to this review, March 2, 2012
Thank you for your review of our Kona Seaside Hotel., we value all feedback of our property.
Bed and breakfast is a rate plan that we offer, however the package that you purchased through Priceline did not include this amenity. The Priceline description does say that complimentary breakfast is included, and as a result of your review we have taken quick measures to change and improve our amenity descriptions. The fee for parking and Wi-Fi was correctly described in the Hotel Features.
I do sincerely apologize that a staff member was rude to your husband..this does not personify our usual Hawaiian style, one that is kind and courteous to all guests. Our Hawaiian family owned hotel strives to give our guests the best price value for Kailua-Kona. We do hope you will give us another try. Please email me when returning to Kona pkwoodd@seasidehotelshawaii.com
Berlin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

This hotel is a little hard for me to rank. On one hand, the location, friendly staff, and amenities should designate a pretty high ranking. It is very near to shops and restaurants, as well as the Kona Brewing Company. There is a free parking lot nearby, which the staff will direct you to if you ask (you can avoid the $5 a day parking fee this way). Everyone was very friendly, the lobby has computers and free wifi, there are two pools which are never busy, and a laundry room for guests. Overall, I thought it was a good value.

On the other hand, I had requested a quiet room, but still had a room facing the street which I found very noisy. Granted, I am a light sleeper and luckily brought my earplugs. Also there was a lack of pillows. When I called down to the front desk before bed (our king only had 3 pillows on it) they didn't have any. The housekeeping were able to provide more the next day, but for a hotel of this standard I expected them to have things like pillows on hand. The next night I saw another couple at the front desk get turned down for pillows, so I think this is a systemic problem.

If the above issues don't irk you, I can recommend this place.

Hawaii
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

We spent a weekend in Kona and due to a music concert that week, the only place with a room was the Kona Seaside Hotel. it's really not a hotel - it's more of a motel for the following reasons:
1. There is only one way in/out - the other gates are locked 24/7.
2. The shower was unbelievably short - I'm only 5'5" but I had to bend down to get water on my face and to wash my hair. Not sure who put int he shower head, but it was high enough for a very short person or a child.
3. Very noisy A/C unit in the room - no split air system or central air - the whole A/C unit was in the room and noisy.
4. The bathroom had a jalousy window that you'd open to let out the steam, but the screen was hanging off so you'd also let bugs in too.
5. Old - carpet felt so dirty and "flat".
6. Very limited parking.
7. To use the PC in the lobby, you had to surrender an ID card at the front desk and could use it for just s short while to let others use it (there were no "others" waiting).

For the price, I wish we could have stayed in the Marriott Courtyard King Kamehameha Hotel just down the street (they were booked).

If you're on a budget and don't mind giving up the luxuries of a nice hotel, the Kona Seaside is okay - but not for more than 1 or 2 days max.

Room Tip: Ask to stay in the area where the front desk is - it's tall and may be newer inside.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Poughkeepsie, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

We stayed here only for one night, after arriving 9pm from the mainland US, and we left early the next morning around 9am, so my review is somewhat limited. The location is very nice, close to the ocean (somewhat obvious from the name) and the employees are very nice. We had a package that said it included free breakfast at a next-door restaurant. We were only able to choose between three items. Not exactly a good free breakfast. It does have a worn look and feel to it. A renovation would do the place wonders. I'm 5'9" tall and I had to duck for the shower head. The beds were worn and somewhat hard, but some people like that. The carpet was probably more than 20 years old. That all said, everything was clean and worked well. We didn't spend any time in it, but the pool area seemed nice. There is no free internet, which bothers me these days, especially in a value hotel such as this.

I would stay here again if the opportunity presented itself. When considering the big island, understand that there are very few upscale hotels and resorts, and really you don't go to the big island for that type of trip. Head to Maui or Oahu for one of those. Go to the big island for adventure and use your hotel for sleeping.

Winnipeg
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

Just returned from our stay at this outdated hotel. The location is great being right around the corner from shops and resturants, however the only seaside part of this hotel is a common area balcony overlooking the ocean.

The rooms are dull and warn out. The hawaiian art/photos need to be replaced. The hallways are decent in the day as they utilize natural lighting but are poorly lit when the sun goes down. The beds are too soft and not very supportive.

The staff were nice and it was fairly quiet.

The best part of this hotel was the included breakfast at Tante's resturant, just behind the hotel. They give you three options; papaya, yogurt and granola; pancakes with an omlet or eggs with ham and hashbrowns and a choice of coffee or fruitjuice. It was the best included breakfast I've had.

On my next visit to Kona, I will stay somewhere else.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Kona Seaside Hotel? Share your experiences!