Yes, this hotel is expensive. Yes, this hotel is magnificent. Yes, this hotel is perfect (if you can afford it or if you get it as a wedding gift, like us!).
We taveled here for our honeymoon and were treated like royalty throughout our stay - and we are FAR from it! From the second you step off the plane, you can expect to be wowed by service, class and exceptional courtesy. Anyone who says the service isn't great is either mistaken or used to being waited on hand and foot and expects a free backrub along with the complimentary sunglass cleaning poolside.
Representatives from the hotel met us at the Kona Airport baggage claim, greeted us by name (how they knew, I have no idea - an educated guess, perhaps?) and told us to go get our rental car and they would take care of our luggage. We pulled up in our rental, they put the bags in the car and we were off on vacation in no time, flat. When we pulled up to the entrance, we were again greeted by name, and Mai Tais with fresh pineapple. They already had us checked in with a complimentary upgrade four tiers above what we had paid for and were off in a cart to tour the expansive property and go to our room. After the tour, we were welcomed with aloha to our temporary home with a bottle of champagne (which we saved for our last night and our romantic dinner at their restaurant). After settling in and exploring our room with outdoor shower (you absolutely MUST request a first floor room), we suited up and hit the beach and pool.
The next seven days pretty much went like this: wake up to birds singing and waves crashing, eat breakfast (we had the bed and breakfast package - two thumbs enthusiastically up), relax in the room, hit the pool/beach, eat lunch at the pool/beach, sleep/nap/read/swim/relax at the pool/beach, watch the sunset, eat dinner, sleep. Repeat.
A few tips: free coffee throughout the resort (lobby 6:30am - 8am, spa 6ish - 9ish, restaurant 6ish - 11ish), if you can swing it get a room at the King's Pond for a quiet and private place to stay, if you don't like to be woken up by birds or waves in the morning don't sleep with your windows/door open, the drinks are dangerously well made (and well liquored up) so drink with caution, and finally utilize the free amenities at the spa!
The rooms aren't cheap. The food isn't cheap. The drinks aren't cheap. If you are looking for a budget hotel, then look for a budget hotel - NOT the Four Seasons.
This resort is worth every penny, assuming you have those pennies available for the spending. I'm already saving mine for our next vacation there - perhaps our 10 year anniversary!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled along the legendary Kona-Kohala Coast of Hawaii Island, Hualalai is a Hawaiian destination unlike any other. Blessed with 863 acres of lush oceanfront beauty, authentic Hawaiian artistry and the highly customized services of the award-winning Four Seasons, Hualalai is a holistic, sustainable and globally renowned community that continues to set the standard by which all other resorts are measured. Hualalai - The Place of `Uhane inspires and enriches every experience, forever transforming and connecting the lives of all who come here. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Amex, HotelTravel.com, Odigeo, Hotwire and Jetsetter so you can book your Four Seasons Resort Hualalai at Historic Ka'upulehu reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- 4 Seasons Resort Hualalai At Historic Ka`Upulehu
- Four Seasons Resort Hualalai At Historic Ka`Upulehu Hotel Kailua-Kona
- Four Seasons Kailua-Kona
- Kailua-Kona Four Seasons
- Four Seasons Hawaii
- Four Seasons Hualalai
- Four Seasons Resort Hualalai At Historic Ka'Upulehu Hawaii/Kailua-Kona