“Perfect in every way” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Four Seasons Resort Hualalai at Historic Ka'upulehu

You added Four Seasons Resort Hualalai at Historic Ka'upulehu to your Saves list
Four Seasons Resort Hualalai at Historic Ka'upulehu
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   72-100 Ka'upulehu Drive, Kailua-Kona, Island of Hawaii, HI 96740   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
USD 1000 Resort Credit
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
GreenLeadersGold level
Birmingham, AL
“Perfect in every way”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

From the reception upon arrival to the moment we checked out, the staff of the Four Seasons Hualalai was exceptional. Our family of 14 quickly became known as "The Big O'hana" with the resort staff. We are accustomed to struggling with reservations because of the party size, even at 5 diamond resorts, but we did not encounter this at Hualalai. One must see the property to believe it. The whole of the resort is beautifully landscaped to complement the idyllic location. The rooms are nicely sized and comfortably appointed. As one would expect from Four Seasons, no detail is overlooked. I particularly liked the pools designated for families or for adults only, as that sour look one receives from the childless traveler when one's child splashes accidentally him while playing in the pool is a personal pet peeve. Our younger children were fascinated by King's Pond and the turtle resting area on the beach. The resort offers plenty of added activities for children, including a babysitting service if one is so inclined. The restaurants are quite good and the cuisine types varied. Wifi is free for up to two devices per room. Perhaps the single negative, if one can even call it negative, is properly pronouncing the name of the resort and the resort location. (For the record, they are pronounced who-wall-la-lie and ka-oo-poo-lay-who.)

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Rheba C, Executive Administrative Assistant at Four Seasons Resort Hualalai at Historic Ka'upulehu, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Greeings from "who-wall-la-lie"!

My hat is off to you for getting the pronunciations right. It took me years to say Hualalai and Kaupulehu without getting my tongue tied!

You wrote such a lovely review of your "Big O'hana" family reunion at our resort and we are grateful to you for your kind comments. As you discovered, children are just as important to us as our adult guests and we are blessed to have so many pool areas to accommodate different ages and preferences.

We hope you will consider bringing the Big O'hana back to visit with us many times in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact me if there is ever anything I can do to assist you.

Executive Administrative Assistant

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (508)
East Granby, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

Hands down one of the best resorts we have ever been to. The hotel, staff, and amenities are second to none. An absolutely amazing stay! The pools, beaches, and golf are all fantastic! For a relaxing and wonderful vacation you must stay here!

Room Tip: Choose a room with the outdoor shower! Nothing better!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

My husband and I have traveled the world and have stayed in some amazing hotels and resorts. The Four Seasons Hualalai is in our top 5 and it is so wonderful to be able to just catch a short inter-island flight to the Big Island of Hawaii from Oahu. The Four Seasons staff is superbly trained and they are so friendly and accommodating. We love everything about the hotel. I loved the added star gazing and s'more nights. All three restaurants had outstanding food. The pools are wonderful and the fitness classes are fun and current. I would have to say our only negative comment about the hotel is having to pay $20 for each fitness class. Other than that we think the hotel is just about perfect and try to visit at least 3-4 times a year.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the beach tree restaurant - it is really central there
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Temecula, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

With the pace of life lately, I neglected to make solid vacation plans for my wife and me. I decided to check into the Four Seasons and are we glad we did! Every part of our experience was wonderful. The reservation staff was very accommodating as we juggled potential arrival dates. The reception was wonderful and the property, well, you have to see it for yourself. It is breathtaking. Combine the location with the signature Four Seasons Service and you undoubtedly have a winning combination. There are a variety of pool settings for other families or adults. There are several dining options that are all world class and there is a signature Jack Nicklaus golf course that was easy to get onto and around. We have been to many Four Seasons properties around the world and this is surely in the top two. It is not inexpensive, but, then again, anything in the upper echelons of location, quality and service never is. This property has it all! We will definitely be back and so grateful we were able to squeeze a much needed vacation in this year. Thank God!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Rheba C, Executive Office at Four Seasons Resort Hualalai at Historic Ka'upulehu, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Greetings from Hualalai!

We are so happy that your last-minute vacation plans brought you to our litle slice of paradise. I may be a bit biased, but I think the Big Island and Hualalai are ideal for people who need a break from "real life." Ours is a peaceful setting and it sounds like you will be visiting with us again and again to recharge your batteries!

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

This was our third visit to the Four Seasons Hualalai. We have been fortunate to travel quite a bit. But out of all resorts or hotels this one is tops. It has never disappointed. Beautiful rooms well maintained. The aroma in the room is delightful. You feel like you're in the spa but you are actually just in your room. The service is impeccable. This staff exudes the aloha spirit. I love this place, why do I wait three years to go back?! I guess so many other places to visit and things to see. But truly there is not another property that matches up; sand, surf, service... you won't want to leave...

Stayed July 2014
Aloha!!

I think you just coined a new phrase to describe Hualalai ... "sand, surf, service." Maybe we should add "sweet smell" to describe the room aroma! I am so happy to hear that you have never been disappointed with any of your 3 visits. Hurry back!

Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014 via mobile

We went with my family in May. My boys are 9 and 7. We didn't do anything if off hotel property, and found our selves completely entertained for 5 days. The snorkeling in kings pond is perfect for kids, and the lagoon is also fun. We ate every meal at the hotel, and the food is great at each of them (there are 4). I personally enjoyed the beach tree. They knew our names after day 1, and gave us connecting ocean view rooms. It reminded me if the Four Seasons Punta Mita. The only thing I like better about this hotel is the lap pool. They are otherwise equal quality, which I rate as excellent. We will be returning next June.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Rheba C, Executive Office at Four Seasons Resort Hualalai at Historic Ka'upulehu, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Greetings from Hualalai!

Mahalo for taking the time to review your recent visit to our resort with your family. Many of our guests rent a car only to leave it in the parking lot for the duration of their stay since there are so many activities here on property, which I think you discovered!

We are delighted to hear that you are returning for another vacation in paradise in June. Please do not hesitate to contact me if there is anything I can do prior to your visit or during your stay.

melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

so we finally found a place in Hawaii where you can really relax....no rushing out at 7 to reserve beach chairs..highest levels of service...great facilities. Really love the low rise spread of the resort. Something for everyone. While there is limited choice of venues for dinner we found over 6 nights it wasnt a problem as there are 4 really good choices...although you do need to make reservations and catching the sunset is sometimes tricky if you are expecting to walk up.The only other drawback is the beach isnt as good as Maui due to the volcanic rock - but the swimming with the turtles in the ocean pool made up for that. Great fitness facilities and lovely golf course..challenging yet forgiving. Overall a fantastic experience....made all the better by the excellent service. Not going to Maui anymore!

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to Four Seasons Resort Hualalai at Historic Ka'upulehu? Share your experiences!