You added Four Seasons Resort Hualalai at Historic Ka'upulehu to your Saves list
Four Seasons Resort Hualalai at Historic Ka'upulehu
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   72-100 Ka'upulehu Drive, Kailua-Kona, Island of Hawaii, HI 96740   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
USD 1000 Resort Credit
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
GreenLeadersGold level
Seattle, Washington
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

This resort hosted my honeymoon and best vacation ever! I have been to many resorts in Caribbean and Jamaica. There are always little kinks in the service which marginalize the overall experience. From arriving at the resort to leaving on last day the service was exceptional! All the attention to detail really made the difference.

When we first arrived we were greeted promptly and given hot wash clothes, Mai tais, and tea to refresh after a long flight. We were graciously upgraded to a better room in celebration of our honeymoon. Immediately upon settling the details of our stay, another staff member intercepted us, took us on tour of resort and brought us to our room. This sounds easy enough, but after staying at many resorts, NO ONE has had such a seamless introduction. There is always a delay after getting to resort and annoying choppy intro to room. Not at the Four Seasons.

The room was relatively large, very comfortable bed, nice large bathroom, and incredible view of the ocean. We sprung for the breakfast in bed package, which was slightly good deal (saving around ~$5/day) and I would likely do it again. Room service was always very prompt, courteous, and even toasted your toast in-room!

The resort itself was large, but not overwhelming. It seemed to be perfect size for week stay. We were able to cycle through the different restaurants and re-visit the favorites once. Food was amazing at all spots. I actually like the residents best with relaxed atmosphere, excellent american cuisine, and a beach front location that was fairly dreamy.

We ended up golfing and it was a VERY nice course. It was also VERY expensive, but once in a lifetime type round. There are several picturesque holes including 17 which is a par 3 towards the ocean. It is amazing view, but challenging with the wind coming off the ocean. You get free run of the facilities including driving range, putting green, and bunker. All non-booze drinks are complimentary with the round. The course is flexible with timing and I was able to golf by myself with wife caddy/driving the cart. The drink cart was seldom but SUPER friendly. He would always load us with ice and complimentary teas and Arnold Palmers with all drink orders!

As an added bonus, we were given near-nightly complimentary amenities in celebration of honeymoon. I could go on forever, but long story short, this resort has set the standard for vacation excellence! It will be hard to measure up! The service was the best I've ever had.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (512)
Santa Rosa, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

This was our second stay and we loved our experience. The room was an oceanfront, the same that we had on our last visit, and we loved it. A recent reviewer compared the rooms to a resort in Mexico that was similarly priced and she found the room lacking by comparison. We have stayed at the Rosewood Mayakoba in Playa del Carmen and I will freely admit that the room there was, without doubt, the nicest we have ever had, absolutely gorgeous. However, we found the overall experience there lacking in comparison to the Four Seasons Hualalai. The service at 4S is truly beyond comparison; we have never had a request not granted. I don't think the word "no" is in their collective vocabulary. The resort is beautiful and beautifully maintained, with every possible amenity. In addition, you can find all manner of interesting and beautiful experiences around the island.
Having said all that, we did have a couple of minor disappointments. The resort had placed some beach games on the sand right outside our room. We did not find this so annoying when people were actually playing them but that was the minority of the time. What was annoying was having the toys in our otherwise unobstucted ocean view 24/7. The second disappointment was the change in the Palm Grove since our last visit. At that time, it was literally a Palm Gove with a small quiet pool, without pool service, and beautiful day beds spread all over the grove, all with some sense of privacy. On this visit, some of the palms had been cut down and the pool has been expanded to a large pool with pool service and swim up bar. There are only three remaining daybeds, much less private, and there is a fee to use them. Though we enjoyed this pool and it was undoubtedly a financial "win" for the resort, what we had considered a very special ambiance was lost. Still, the stay was wonderful and, though the resort IS pricey, I would definitely recommednd it for a special occasion.

Room Tip: During our first stay, four years ago, we booked an oceanfront room and were given Rm 1801. We sp...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Rheba C, Executive Office at Four Seasons Resort Hualalai at Historic Ka'upulehu, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Mahalo for taking the time to share your observations in regards to your latest visit to Four Seasons Resort Hualalai. We are thrilled that your second visit was just as memorable as your first and that the staff went above and beyond to make certain you were comfortable and happy.

The Palm Grove pool renovation occurred following the tsunami three years ago, when the smaller pool and much of the vegetation in that area were destroyed. We decided to expand the pool with a swim-up bar to give our guests who enjoy the Beach Tree pool a comparable experience ... but adults only. The new pool has been well received and I hope it will "grow on you" on future visits!

We look forward to welcoming you back many times in the months and years to come. Please do not hesitate to contact me if there is ever anything I can do to assist you.

With warmest aloha,

Rheba Crane
Executive Office
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

I struggled on what to write here because the reality is that my husband and I had a wonderful time at this resort and have no complaints whatsoever. however, my challenge is that the similar experiences I've had in Mexico are so close to my heart that I found myself comparing the two and expecting more from the $1,000/nt price tag of the Four Seasons.

to start with, know that the resort is divided into four different ocean-facing crescents, each with a different atmosphere. there's a 21+ adult pool with a bar called Palm Grove, a quiet pool (several people mentioned being asked to leave there), a large kid's area with wading pool for the little ones called Beach Tree, and a snorkeling pond filled with (2,000?) fish and a spotted Eagle ray called King's pond. despite not being adults-only, my husband and I were able to customize our pool experience to fit that vibe. if not for the restaurants, we wouldn't have known kids were there, which was important to us.

before arriving at the resort, we really wanted to know what to expect in terms of prices. here's a rough outline:
drinks at pool bar - $14 ea
poolside lunch at Beach Tree - $15 appetizer, $25 entree
dinner at Beach Tree (shared app, two entrees, dessert, no drinks) - $115 incl. tip
breakfast buffet w/one drink - $45
breakfast entree - $25

we didn't try Ulu or the steakhouse for dinner, but I imagine that both were priced higher than Beach Tree. after souvenirs, our resort spend totaled close to $425 across 4 days, and we were VERY conservative.

that being said, the food was orgasmically good. like, where you take a bite and your eyes roll back and you try to mutter something unintelligible about just how incredible it is. we recommend the gazpacho and seared ahi tuna sandwich for lunch (it's large enough to split), the pizza (I know, but the flour for the dough is flown in from Italy!), and DO NOT MISS the desserts. there's a kona coffee macadamia nut rocky road ice cream at Beach Tree and some sort of chocolate cake from the steakhouse that you can also request through room service (mind the $6 fee and 18% grat). we often grabbed breakfast at the general store by the tennis courts that others mentioned. breakfast tacos were $9, as were smoothies. they also had some steel cut oats for slightly less, and, of course, delicious coffee drinks. so after a grab-and-go breakfast, shared lunch entree and dinner, we were around $200/day without drinks. whew. that said, many of the menus have notes saying how many local farmers are supported by the food options there, which is awesome. at least much of your food money is flowing back in to hawaii.

the resort is located 20+ mins from town. one couple reported a cab was $80 each way (?!), so definitely rent a car if you're looking to do some exploring.

while we were there, we ran into a marketing team tasked with making the resort attractive to younger couples and honeymooners, as a good deal of the population there was older. and I have to say that Mexico's competitiveness makes their job nearly impossible. an adults-only all inclusive runs a mere $400/nt there, which is less than half of the cost of the Four Seasons, and food a drinks are included!

honestly, if you go to hawaii, do hawaii things. if you want to relax and lay by the beach, your money will go infinitely further in Mexico. true, it's not the five star quality that the Four Seasons offers, but it's well worth the difference. honestly, it seems as though the FS is surviving partly by reputation through an older clientele and others who simply don't know what else is out there. no doubt this is the nicest place on the island, but they have the highest APD (average per day) spend of any Four Seasons property, so you'll pay for it. all the staff was wonderful and invited us to return with genuine care and first-class hospitality, but unless there's a dramatic shift in the pricing (and/or consideration of an all-inclusive option), we will continue to spend our beach time in the idyllic Caribbean waters.

Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

My husband did the Kona Ironman 70.3 and our family (with three young kids) spent our last night at the Four Seasons Hualalai after a one week stay at a rental property. Wow! Talk about saving the best for last! Check-in staff were cordial and accommodating and allowed us to use the pool and lunch on the property as our two partial ocean view rooms were not yet ready (it was about 10:00AM).

The property is massive with about 7 pools and we lounged around the cozy cabanas in the family-friendly Sea Shell infinity pool overlooking the beach. Food at the Beach Tree Bar and Lounge was satisfactory and the wine list was great! Order the cheeseburger but watch out for the birds.. they swoop down and nick your food when you're not looking. Dinner at the Hualalai Grille was average but the service and ambiance were excellent. We ordered the 3 Filet Mignons medium-rare which disappointed us as meat was dry. The wine list, however, was expansive and definitely a winner!

Connecting rooms were large and luxurious with a terrace and kids got personalized messages on their bathtubs and received gifts like stuffed turtle toys, caramelized popcorn & M&Ms, and a hula skirt. They were thrilled. We loved that they supported the local groups by purchasing their shampoo, lotion & body wash amenities from them.

The gym space was huge. There are separate rooms for the cardio equipment, weights and some machines were outside in case guests preferred a no-aircon environment. There were several studios as well for yoga and many choices of classes were offered during the day.

Overall, our only regret was not staying longer! We will definitely be back!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

I mentioned after my first visit that having stayed in many 5-star hotels, I am rarely surprised by a new resort. However, this place keeps on amazing you even after the first visit. It is truly a special place and I would consider giving it 6 stars if I could.

The services is very personal and friendly without being over the top far better than even some other well run places like the Four Seasons in Maui. The environment is serene and beautiful.

I think it is probably equally good without children, it is particularly great for families. The number of activities available such as the snorkeling pond and the kids club as well as the protected beach are delightful and classy without detracting from the enjoyment of adults.

I am a hardcore foodie and usually find the restaurants in these kind of hotels a bit lacking. The Four Seasons Hualalai, while not a gourmet paradise, offers very solid options. The made at your table ahi poke at ULU is my favorite in Hawaii.

I will no doubt be coming back as soon as I can manage.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Greetings from Hualalai!

Mahalo for sharing that if you could, you would give us 6 Stars! That is a wonderful testament to the lovely memories you have built while vacationing at Four Seasons Resort Hualalai. Thank you too for pointing out that there is a place and activities for couples traveling without children, families, honeymooners, etc. etc. We hope you will return many times in the months and years especially to enjoy the tableside poke presentation.

With warmest aloha,

Rheba Crane
Executive Administrative Assistant
San Clemente, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

This was our first time staying at a Four Seasons resort... Enjoyed the very friendly and attentive staff. All our meals prepared at the four restaurants located on the property were delicious. Great sunset views from the Beach Tree lounge area!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

From the second you check-in, with a personal hug and greeting, and a cocktail and lei, you know you are in heaven. I will not belabor the points others have made, but if you can't enjoy yourself at Hualalai you need a long look in the mirror. We like to chose a lower room for the outdoor shower option, and without kids the beach tree or palm grove side (or even the golf course side) are the best options. With kids, stay on the sea shell or kings pond sides.
Also do the bed and breakfast option. You eat enough at a late buffet that you can make it all the way to dinner. The bar at beach tree grill is actually fun with great bartenders and some locals. Don't pack too much--they have laundry right outside every building.

Room Tip: Lower floor for the outdoor shower.
Green Features: I like the sustainability of the place--they have made major improvements post Tsunami.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Four Seasons Resort Hualalai at Historic Ka'upulehu? Share your experiences!