“Amazing honeymoon location: We stayed for 5 days and nights and were pampered constantly throughout our stay.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Four Seasons Resort Hualalai at Historic Ka'upulehu

Save Saved
You added Four Seasons Resort Hualalai at Historic Ka'upulehu to your Saves list
Four Seasons Resort Hualalai at Historic Ka'upulehu
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   72-100 Ka'upulehu Drive, Kailua-Kona, Island of Hawaii, HI 96740   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
USD 1000 Resort Credit
Ranked #1 of 15 hotels in Kailua-Kona
GreenLeadersGold level
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

We went to the Four Seasons on the Big Island, Kona for our honeymoon (January 21-26). We had an amazing time! We were greeted with leis when we walked into the reception building, as well as a non-alcoholic Mai Tai. Soon, we were greeted by Edwin, who took us on a tour of the grounds on the way to our room. Edwin was extremely friendly and knowledgeable. When we entered our room, there was a chocolate boat filled with all sorts of chocolates. There was even a bottle of champagne on ice waiting as well. Four Seasons also sent other little treat along the week, which were very sweet and special.

The room was beautiful! We had a great patio with a view of the adult pool and ocean. We were impressed with the outdoor shower too, which you had access to through the regular bathroom shower. I am very particular to cleanliness in a hotel, and I couldn't find anything that wasn't perfectly clean.

All of our meals were outstanding. We tried every restaurant on the grounds. You must check out the sunset one night at the Beach Tree restaurant or the Ula restaurant. Our pictures are amazing!

Be sure to visit the concierge when you first arrive! We chose the Blue Helicopter group to take a tour of the whole island. We did the more expensive tour to see the active volcanoes and the various waterfalls. This is a must!! Our pictures are beautiful!! We also went on a ziplining experience, and it was extremely professional and very safe. You go over several waterfalls, which are breathtaking. Lastly, we did a Lomi Lomi massage (duet), which was a great way to decompress after our wedding.

We will definitely be back again!! Four Seasons does not leave anything out. They know how to pamper you. Every staff member is friendly, professional and attentive. We loved Katie and Ashley at the adult pool! They were so good to us!!

Room Tip: We were in the 3000 building, which was near the adult pool. It was also very close to the golf cou...

1,505 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
Berlin, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

For us The Hualalai is one of the best together with The Manele on Maui (smaller and quieter).
The resort is gorgeous, with beautiful gardens and fitting max two storey buildings. We had booked again "oceanfront" and got a very nice room, unfortunately near the kitchen of the room service so that we suffered from the constant smell which was really annoying. Another negative point was the extremely noisy lady from housekeeping: Furniture was pushed to and fro, doors were closed with a bang ect.
The staff in general is friendly and helpful. The pools are very nice each in its own way, we preferred the quiet pool, for adults only. The service here was also perfect. The beach bar was our favorite place to watch the sunset.
The hotel offers what is expected from a Four Seasons and all in all we enjoyed our stay there very much.

Volcano, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

We stayed at the Four Season Hualalai for my birthday. From the first moment we arrived we received remarkable service, from all the staff, both warmly personal and genuinely professional. We also truly valued the amazing care given to the grounds, buildings and the landscaping.

I am particularly sensitive to hotels that seem somewhat tired, big and impersonal. The Four Season Hualalai was fresh and alive, with staff and guests who really enjoyed being there!

We stayed in the ocean front Kaiulani Suite, incredibly spacious with such uplifting, yet casually elegant decor. The intimate view of the waves as they rolled into shore, illuminated each evening, was breathtaking… "the best view in the house"!

I felt like a princess after our two wonder filled days relaxing by the pool and at the spa, with a massage both places! I will always remember this birthday as a great surprise and amazing gift in my life!

Thank you to all who manage, staff and care for this amazing place of great natural beauty.

Room Tip: The Palm Grove is our favorite since we like the quiet setting in that part of the hotel.
Green Features: Impressed by the Kawili Project which used refillable containers to save using so many plastic bottles for the bathroom amenities. Also valued the use of Hawaiian herbal knowledge.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Rheba C, Executive Office at Four Seasons Resort Hualalai at Historic Ka'upulehu, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Greetings from Hualalai!

You are definitely a "princess" and we are delighted that you had a wonderful birthday celebration here at Four Seasons Resort Hualalai! Thank you for all the lovely compliments you heaped on our facilities and staff. Our goal is to keep everything new and fresh while maintaining the natural beauty and Hawaiian ambiance our guests seem to enjoy.

We look forward to welcoming you back many times in the months and years to come.

Lafayette, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

While our visit here was a while ago, I felt compelled to add my 5-star rating to this fabulous place. My husband and I had the most romantic dinner imaginable, with a table right on the beach. As the sun set over the ocean, we treated ourselves to the fabulous seafood paella for two, which even had a generous portion of Big Island lobster. The wine list was curated well and our desserts were exceptional. The service was attentive but not the least bit intrusive, and the setting wassublime. If I could have stayed forever, I would have.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha!

To have you feel compelled to write such a glowing review after a few weeks/months have passed, lets us know that we helped you build a great memory of your romantic dinner on the beach. Life is all about building memories and I hope you will give us an opportunity or many opportunities to serve you memorable meals or provide over-the-top visits here at Hualalai.

Thank you for sharing your memories.

Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

We’ve just returned from 8 nights at the Four Seasons Hualalai. This was our first time to the big Island and the trip was booked to celebrate our 10th anniversary. We flew into Honolulu and had the first 4 nights at the Halekulani. We tried to book into Hualalai from the 3rd of Jan but even booking a year in advance we were only able to get accommodation from the 5th – which I believe is the last day of their official festive season.

We had originally booked to stay for 4 nights and then move onto FS Maui for another 4 nights. Within half an hour of arriving at the resort I knew 4 days just wouldn’t be enough. I duly contacted our agent who was able to cancel Maui and extend Hualalai.

Here’s a run down of our experiences and impressions:

Room
I was unsure of which crescent to choose – I was torn between the Beach Tree crescent and Palm Grove. Our agent highly recommended Palm Grove and I’m so glad he did. It feels like a slightly smaller crescent than the others but I don’t know if that’s actually the case. It’s certainly quieter and more private. This is also the crescent that houses the tranquility pool/adults only pool. We opted for an ocean view room which means it’s on the lower level. I actually really liked the lower level room (and not for the outdoor shower which I don’t particularly enjoy) but for the ease of the dual access from the room by either the front door or the lanai – the latter has you by the pool or the beach within a minute of leaving your room. Our room, which was on the right arm of the crescent, had good ocean views from both the bed and the lanai. One thing that surprised me was how little we used the lanai and the room, making the view a bit of a non-factor. Just about everywhere you eat, drink and swim here has amazing ocean views so enjoying it from the room wasn’t a big deal, so next time I would probably opt for a partial ocean view instead. The room itself is large and well thought out with just the right amount of a Hawaiian theme without going overboard.

Restaurants
We tried all of them and our favourite was hands down the Beach Tree. The menu is diverse enough to eat here for a week without getting bored. Fantastic burgers/pizzas and one of the best gnocchi’s with oxtail ragu I’ve ever eaten. The chef is Italian and the food is cooked with love and care. I also think that prices are actually very reasonable and far less expensive (not to mention better quality) than anywhere we dined in Honolulu. The other thing we loved of an evening was sitting around the bar at the Beach Tree for a couple of sun downers. Sitting at the bar, with the ocean just metres away and often with whales swimming by in the distance was truly magical. They have a very unique way of pricing the wine list at the Beach Tree which I thought was fantastic. Any wine can be purchased by the glass, the carafe or the bottle. They are pieced in categories with the bottle price being either $44, $66 or $88 and there are a good dozen bottles of red and white wines in each price category.
We ate at Ulu twice and whilst it was good it wasn’t great – lovely location and views though so it was nice to change up the dining experiences a little.

The restaurant which surprised me the most was the Hualalai Grill which is their steak restaurant. My husband, a New Yorker and very fussy re steakhouses, was dubious about trying this but we were both really amazed at the quality of the steaks – they were really good. It is however one of the only venues that doesn’t have water views and the atmosphere wasn’t as buzzy as the other restaurants so we just ate here the one time.

In a word, exemplary. From the bars, to the breakfast staff, to the restaurants and in particular the poolside, the service was amazing. Friendly, efficient and totally on the ball. There was not a staff member that we didn’t enjoy speaking to. It says a a lot about a place when you see return guests going up to wait staff , hugging them hello and proceeding to ask after each others families and children. We witnessed this on a number of occasions and it speaks a lot to the staff and the guests here. The one area which I personally didn’t find great, and I know from other reviews that this is not the norm, is the concierge staff member who assisted us with dining reservations. I made sure to book all our dinners way in advance of arrival but as we extended our stay at the last minute we needed to make more dinner reservations. I spoke to the concierge but I was unable to get a table for the 7pm slot we prefer at either the Beach Tree or Ulu on any nights. We had to dine at either 5.30, 6.00 or 8.00pm as she insisted that the restaurants were fully committed. I made the bookings for the times available but on the previous day would go up to the actual restaurant to see if I could change the time to 7.00pm and was able to do so with no problem at all for each night - so that was a little strange.

Pools & The Dreaded Deck Chair Issue
On our first few days we sat around the tranquility pool/adults only pool. There are only about 24 chairs around this pool so it’s very peaceful and all the deck chairs face the ocean. On our first morning we headed out to the pool at around 8.30 am (we’re early risers) and there wasn’t a staff member around and no towels. The pool was actually roped off. We found out that it opens at 10.00 am. This was in some ways a welcome surprise from Waikiki where guests at the Halekulani were reserving deck chairs at 5.00am in the pitch dark (I kid you not). But 10.00am was a little bit the other extreme for us. We like to wake up early, have a run, shower and hit the pool at 8.30, read the papers and then head to breakfast at around 10.30. We then go back to our chairs and use them for the rest of the day, as we tend to skip lunch. At the adults only pool they were very strict about not reserving chairs for more than 15 minutes outside of 11.30-2.30 where you can leave them vacant. I admire that they enforce this and I wish other resorts would be as vigilant but when I explained to them that we wanted to go for breakfast at 10.30 and that we don’t do lunch so the 11.30-2.30 vacancy would not be required for us they were hesitant to agree and in the end we said that if anyone came after the chairs whilst we were at breakfast then they could give them away, luckily that didn’t happen. Don’t get me wrong I abhor it when people reserve chairs and then don’t turn up until hours later, have a quick dip in the pool and dry off and depart again. I dislike it even more when hotels let guests get away with that. But if you can see that the guest is using the chair throughout the entire day and is only absent for breakfast for 30 minutes it’s a different case. I noticed some people around the tranquility pool were very aware of the 15 minute rule. In one instance a gentleman sat in the pool keeping an eagle eye out for any one who was absent for 16 minutes at which time he pounced on the staff to remove them so he could take the chairs - the poor person had gone for a swim and then to the bathroom! For the rest of our stay we used the Beach Tree pool, which I preferred. Lots more chairs and the cabana’s (free) at the back give the best shade options for any time of the day. In general this is one of the only resorts we’ve been to a peak times where both the staff and the guests used good etiquette and were sensible re deck chair use. I wish other resorts would use the same good sense. We loved the fact that there was a kids pool which meant that even the Beach Tree pool, which has no age restrictions, was very quiet and peaceful and the children who did use it were incredibly well behaved.

In closing we had an amazing time at Four Season Hualalei. It’s a very special and unique property. I wasn’t sure what to expect – I’d read all the glowing reviews but wondered if it would live up to the hype and it absolutely did and then some. We can’t wait to return!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Rheba C, Executive Office at Four Seasons Resort Hualalai at Historic Ka'upulehu, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Aloha from Hualalai!

I am beyond thrilled to hear that every aspect of your 10th anniversary celebration here at Four Seasons Resort Hualalai was over-the-top, from your guest room to the restaurants, service and pools. Our guests are our 'ohana and nothing pleases us more than pampering our guests (family).

Please return for more special occasion celebations to allow us to pamper you more!

Oakville, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

My husband and I spent 11 days at the Four Seasons Hualalai and the best word to describe it is paradise. Our only regret is that we should have spent our entire 21 day honeymoon at this hotel. Instead we spent the remaining 10 days at the Four Seasons Maui, which is stunning but different.

The rooms are individual bungalows with a walk out. Ours overlooked the infinity pool and the ocean. Spectacular views, they left us speechless. Our room was huge, bathroom was well above average with a big glass shower, granite countertops, double sinks, huge soaker tub...just perfect.

The attendants at the pool would periodically come around and offer us a variety of snacks or services like cleaning our sun glasses, bringing us fresh towels, ice cream, freezies, sun block and water...amazing. There is even a quiet pool where cell phones are not allowed.

King's Pond Touch Tank is like a giant aquarium you can swim in with hundreds of different fish, even a stingray which you can feed! I believe it is an alkaline pool so it is a bit chilly but it is an ideal environment for the aquatic life. You can lounge around the pool and have drinks if you like. It is dark as it is suppose to resemble the ocean...it makes it very interesting.

Restaurants are out of this world. You can't go wrong with any of them. No negatives here at all. Don't get me started on the breakfast buffet, it is fit for the pickiest eater. We saw dolphins swim along a boat one morning. This place is magical.

There are giant turtles around the beach which you are not allowed to touch or approach. The beach is a natural beach which absolutely beautiful.

We rented a jeep and drove the road to Hanna and swam in a waterfall. The front desk will help you make the arrangements for a rental car and give you a map. We also drove to a dormant volcano and steam vents.

Hawaii is just extraordinary and there is no better way to enjoy it than by staying at this hotel.

This is the most magical place I have ever stayed! It remains my favourite hotel.

Room Tip: Try and stay on the top level if you can. It makes for a nicer view although you can't go wrong...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Rheba C, Executive Office at Four Seasons Resort Hualalai at Historic Ka'upulehu, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Aloha from Hualalai!

I am happy to hear that you had a blissful 21 day honeymoon, staying both here at Hualalai and our sister property, Four Seasons Resort Maui. Hawai'i remains the perfect honeymoon destination with its natural beauty and so much "nature" to enjoy. We look forward to welcoming you back to our "magical place," perhaps to celebrate your first wedding anniversary.

sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

Everything was wonderful here! Im saving up to go back again later this year. Expensive but worth it. All the food was great with the exception of the beach tree it was awful. Swam at the beach pool with the local turtle and snorkelled each day there. Loved the lap pool at the gym. The mai taos are to die for. The snorkelling pond fabulous. Here is a hint if you don't want to pay for the breakfast at the ulu grill, they don't tell you this but there is a little cafe called I think kona cafe or something like this, right near the tennis courts and near the trading store where you can buy fruit breakfast burritos and pastries etc, more economical and a nice change from the breakfast buffet. Book your tables in the restaurants in advance as it gets busy.

Room Tip: All rooms are great ours had an ocean view which was nice.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Greetings from Hualalai!

I am happy to hear that you had a wonderful vacation here at Four Seasons Resort Hualalai, that you took the opportunity to snorkel with the turtles and that you found the Hualalai Coffee Company. Since most guests prefer to stay on property for meals, we try to provide a variety of dining venues and the Coffee Company is ideal for people who do not want a big breakfast. We encourage everyone to make as many reservations as possible in advance of their arrival to ensure a stress-free vacation.

We will hold you to your promise to return later this year. There is lots more to see and explore.

Executive Administrative Assistant

Been to Four Seasons Resort Hualalai at Historic Ka'upulehu? Share your experiences!