“Wow factor the moment you walk in” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Four Seasons Resort Hualalai at Historic Ka'upulehu

You added Four Seasons Resort Hualalai at Historic Ka'upulehu to your Saves list
Four Seasons Resort Hualalai at Historic Ka'upulehu
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   72-100 Ka'upulehu Drive, Kailua-Kona, Island of Hawaii, HI 96740   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
USD 1000 Resort Credit
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
GreenLeadersGold level
Lehigh Valley, PA
“Wow factor the moment you walk in”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

When you check in, the process is quite friendly and you're treated like VIPs from the start. Staff is very helpful usually (couple minor issues but that can be anywhere) and for sure desk staff did everything possible to make our stay memorable and as I wanted (that's huge as sometimes you get the smile and a polite 'no').

Beach isn't great but pools are very pretty. The rooms are amazing! Really top notch (for the price, they should be and they really are).

Only knock is it's far from alot of things. Taxi to kona will run you $50 each way. That's an expensive dinner before even eating!

For uber relaxation and being pampered, this is the best.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Rheba C, Executive Office at Four Seasons Resort Hualalai at Historic Ka'upulehu, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Aloha!

I am so happy to hear that your arrival experience here at Hualalai was lovely. You and every guest who stays with us is a VIP and our staff takes great pride in making our guests' wishes come true. I am also happy to hear that you left relaxed and feeling pampered. Please come back soon to give us an opportunity to pamper you some more! Thank you for your kind words.

Executive Administrative Assistant

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (512)
Los Angeles, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

After seeing the reviews on Tripadvisor and having it rated the #1 Hotel IN THE WORLD it was hard not to have high expectations of this hotel, and why shouldn't you? I have been to nine different four seasons and I'm almost never disappointed. This happens to be the 2nd most expensive property I've visited (after Florence, Italy) I simply cant understand how they built this property. Amazing views of the ocean. Their rooms however, were constructed in bungalows that are surrounding their four pools in a crescent shape. The problem is that all the walkways around the hotel are surrounding the bungalows. In the majority of rooms, if the person has their shutters open, you can clearly see everything (and everyone) in the room. My wife and I literally had to keep the shutters closed in the morning until we were completely dressed. The second floor rooms have bathroom windows overlooking the walkways to the lobby! I accidentally (I swear!) saw a few people showering as I was walking to the lobby because they didn't raise their blinds high enough. If you're out on the balcony, expect to have people walking right by your room unless you have a 2nd floor room, which may be recommended since you hear every footstep from the people on top if your on the 1st floor, but then again, you'll lose the outdoor shower, so its a dilemma! And that is the problem with this hotel. Is the hotel good? Yes. Is it great? NO I don't think so. And if I'm paying $250 a night for a room I could handle great. When I'm paying $1,000+ a night I expect fantastic, and I definitely did not receive that.
There were some service issues with the management as well, but nothing that would indicate a service problem in general with the hotel. One other issue that really left a bad taste in my mouth was that within 3 minutes of arriving at the hotel, the woman who was checking us in tried to sell us on a suite "that's normally $2,000 a night for only $500 more a night." I found that to be extremely distasteful. I have been to been four seasons and I've never been upselled on a room. I have however, been upgraded by management many times without asking, which, although not necessary, is one of the reasons I keep coming back to Four Seasons.

Room Tip: Beware of Ocean views. This hotel has FOUR categories for ocean views: Partial ocean view, Ocean vi...
Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

I recently stayed here on my honeymoon, and it was one of the highlights of our trip. Our room did take a very long time to be ready (we were waiting for 5 hours), but once we got it we were very happy - the bed was huge and comfortable, the showers and bathtub were amazing, it was heavenly. The restaurants have very good food, although it was occasionally over-priced.
What really stood out was the attentiveness of the staff, the pool staff were outstanding, everyone was very friendly, and we loved the honeymoon lei-making invitation and the bottle of sparkling wine!

Garden City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

My wife and I recently spent the first leg of our Honeymoon at Hualalai in the beginning of October. I did a great deal of research in selecting the hotels and and based on the reviews I had a feeling we were in a for a real treat here on the Big Island with the Four Seasons, but I couldnt have imagine our introduction to the Four Seasons culture quite like this. Let me say that the resort is absolutely stunning...meticulously manicured and landscaped; the design incorporating the natural lay of the land with the lava rocks and native flora is outrageous. It's very strange b/c there is definitely a positive energy coming from the place..the resort feels like you're in a prehistoric jungle with all the amenities of the 21st century. The place is lit by tiki torches at night and you feel like youre on an episode of Survivor or Temptation Island! Haha

From the moment you step foot to the minute you leave you really do feel like you are part of their "family" and are a part of soemthing special. We were upgraded to an ocean-view room overlooking King's Pond which was perfect!! Spetacular pond and ocean view while still providing the privacy we desired. The room is very big w/ a littel lanai and we had the oudoor garden shower (def a MUST!) and earth-toned interior is very soothing.

The restaurants are all awesome as we at at all three. The Beach Tree pool and Serenty Pools are fantastic...the bar by the adults only Serenity Pool has its own herb garden which is used in making all the specialty drinks (think fresh blueberries and mint muttled in your blueberry mojito...goddamn it was good!)

The Spa was amazing we had a couples massage for an hour and it was pure heaven.. The gym/spa amenities were all stellar and now I know why its ranked as a top spa worldwide.

AND now, onto the SERVICE. All other hotels should send their staff here to see what service is all about. The housekeepers and groundscrew and everyone says "Aloha" with a smile and MEANS it...they truly love working here. The managment is the best Ive ever encountered and the completely bend over backwards and do thoughtful things to personlaize your stay. Example: shout out to Damon, the resort activities manager (the man!) -- there were alot of couples on their honeymoon while we were staying and he organized a Cocktail Hour Meet & Greet for all the couples!! So we got to meet some really nice people from all over the country and even made some new friends too! We also were invited to a Managers reception where we got interact with all the top managers of the resort...great meeting Florian (go Bayern!) -- people like him who are so friendly and really make the resort what it is b/c they genuinely value real live feedback and then implement it!

This leg of our trip stood out, far and above, the other islands (we did stay at FS Maui, but it wasnt even a comparison)..and our experience already has us planning a trip for one of our anniversaries. It is VERY expensive, but what you get in return far outweighs the monetary amount associated with it...memories to last a lfetime and will keep you coming back for more. I cant wait to be a part of the Hualalai "family" again!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Warmest greetings from Hualalai!

I am thrilled beyond words to read that your honeymoon experience at Four Seasons Resort Hualalai exceeded all of your expectations. You certainly have an eye for detail and description. Mentioning the small herb garden at the Palm Grove swim-up bar proves that point! I love your description of the resort, "feels like you're in a prehistoric jungle with all the amenities of the 21st century."

Damon, Florian and all of your Hualalai 'ohana truly do value your patronage and feedback. We cannot wait to welcome you back, perhaps for every anniversary or to celebrate other special occasions. Mahalo for writing!

canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Beautiful property, considerate and thoughtful staff, expansive lush grounds, so much flora and fauna! I swam with turtles, had inspiring meals three times a day (seriously fantastic!), the spa and gym were lovely. Beautiful rooms! Sunsets, dolphins, spinning sharks out at the reef! Simply the most delightful vacation! Thank You!

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Rheba C, Executive Office at Four Seasons Resort Hualalai at Historic Ka'upulehu, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Greetings from Hualalai!

What a lovely review! Mahalo! I am so happy to hear that you had a beautiful, relaxing vacation and I hope you are already planning your next trip to Hualalai. Anticipation is half the fun!

Newport Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed the resort location, food, and our oceanfront king room. Very sweet and memorable experience. Appreciated that our room had wine glasses and a corkscrew always at the ready. The housekeeping staff did an excellent job, working around our schedule, and keeping the place looking immaculate. I normally pass on turn-down service, but it was well worth it here. We requested and received a second floor room, which we liked for the elevated views and the vaulted ceilings. The air conditioning was exceptionally quiet, which allowed me to sleep very soundly. Breakfast and dinner, whether at the restaurant or in-room, was very enjoyable. We also liked that they had a little convenience store on-site were we could buy snacks for the road, wine, and gasoline too.

Room Tip: Request a second floor end unit for a little more private feeling, slightly better view, and vaulted...
Roslyn, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

Five out of the eight days that we spent at the resort were very good. Three of the days were a disaster. Thats not a good average. I found our stay at the Fairmont in Maui much better, being upgraded to a villa for our anniversary and the restaurants were definitely better at the Fairmont.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Four Seasons Resort Hualalai at Historic Ka'upulehu? Share your experiences!