“Stayed 5 nights on our honeymoon.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Four Seasons Resort Hualalai at Historic Ka'upulehu

You added Four Seasons Resort Hualalai at Historic Ka'upulehu to your Saves list
Four Seasons Resort Hualalai at Historic Ka'upulehu
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   72-100 Ka'upulehu Drive, Kailua-Kona, Island of Hawaii, HI 96740   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
GreenLeadersGold level
Newport Beach, California
“Stayed 5 nights on our honeymoon.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed the resort location, food, and our oceanfront king room. Very sweet and memorable experience. Appreciated that our room had wine glasses and a corkscrew always at the ready. The housekeeping staff did an excellent job, working around our schedule, and keeping the place looking immaculate. I normally pass on turn-down service, but it was well worth it here. We requested and received a second floor room, which we liked for the elevated views and the vaulted ceilings. The air conditioning was exceptionally quiet, which allowed me to sleep very soundly. Breakfast and dinner, whether at the restaurant or in-room, was very enjoyable. We also liked that they had a little convenience store on-site were we could buy snacks for the road, wine, and gasoline too.

Room Tip: Request a second floor end unit for a little more private feeling, slightly better view, and vaulted...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (509)
Roslyn, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

Five out of the eight days that we spent at the resort were very good. Three of the days were a disaster. Thats not a good average. I found our stay at the Fairmont in Maui much better, being upgraded to a villa for our anniversary and the restaurants were definitely better at the Fairmont.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

Great hotel. Beautiful property. Nice golf course. Nice employees. My family and I felt very safe and comfortable here. The black lava rock, and all the swimming pools had my kids wide-eyed and the golf course did the same thing to me. We really had a nice stay. The hotel hooked us up with a nice nanny and my wife and I got to do a couple dinner dates. The kids loved the nanny so much, we invited her to come and watch the kids at one pool while we relaxed at another pool. This plan worked out very well. We had a great week. Some friends of ours had been to the Big Island before and told us to take the kids on a trip to Kaelakekaua Bay. We took the large, "family friendly" boat that offers a bbq lunch and lessons for beginners. It was an amazing day. Really glad we did that day trip. Worth the long drive into town. I can't say enough about this golf course. I love playing golf on my family trips because it helps me keep my sanity. This course delivers. Really nice. I heard they have a Senior Tournament here too. I can see why. We had a great stay. Perfect weather. Nice place. Thanks for a great week!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Rheba C, Executive Office at Four Seasons Resort Hualalai at Historic Ka'upulehu, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Greetings from Hualalai!

You pay us the highest compliment when you say "We will stay here again!" I am so happy to hear that we recommended a wonderful nanny and the day trip to Kealakekua Bay. We hope you and your family will return soon to enjoy many of the other activities here on the resort or on island. You still have lots of exploring to do!! I hope you will have an opportunity to watch the Mitsubishi Golf Tournament finals on television January 17, 18 and 19. You will be inspired to return to Hualalai to enjoy a few more rounds!

Please let me know if I can ever be of assistance to you.

Storrs, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

A few glitches, but overall it was a great stay! We went for our wedding & had arrived before the regular arrival time and were supposed to be contacted when our room was ready. Check in time came along and no call so I called the front desk to check in on the status. They said they were replacing our mattress as requested, however we never requested that. I thought this was very odd. We were having our rehearsal dinner that night so we didn't have as much time to get ready as hoped due to the delay in our room being ready and receiving our baggage. The resort did press my dress within a half hour since I didn't have time to iron it at no charge, which was much appreciated! Once in our room it was very well appointed and we also loved the outdoor shower and used it daily. Our dinners and lunch at Beach Tree restaurant were fantastic! The lobster ravioli is a must and our server Jeannie was a true delight! ULU is good for breakfast and the deluxe buffet is worth the money. My sister is gluten free and they made her the best pancakes and banana bread! We had our wedding dinner at ULU, unfortunately I can't say the dinner was very good. I would not recommend the lobster pad thai. Had we known we would have booked our dinner over at Beach Tree or ordered off the sushi menu instead. The resort did make this up to us after voicing our disappointment with the dinner. Chocolate covered strawberries were delivered to my husband's parents room instead of our room on our wedding night. I brought this issue up to the front desk and they corrected it by bringing us some that night, which was very nice. I only wish I didn't have to correct the mistake. The resort location is wonderful and there is a very nice jogging pathway. The fitness equipment and workout areas are in a very nice natural setting. Make sure you get to the spa since the services and surroundings are top notch! The King's Pond is great for adults and kids, lots of fish to see in a very safe snorkeling environment. Even though there were some glitches in our stay I would go back and would highly recommend the resort!

Room Tip: Get a room with an outdoor shower!
Green Features: The hotel does a very good job with environmentally friendly practices. This is very important and I hope they continue to make even more advances in this area!
Aloha from Hualalai!

Mahalo for choosing Four Seasons Resort Hualalai as the destination for one of the most important days of your life - your wedding! Congratulations on your marriage! We sincerely appreciate the time you spent sharing your experiences. I sincerely apologize there were some missteps on our part, but we are happy to hear that overall you and your family had a memorable stay. We hope you will visit many times in the months and years to come, perhaps for every wedding anniversary or to celebrate other special occasions.

Coronado, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

The staff was awesome. We did not have one negatine experience. The staff exceeded our expectaions on every level. Have stayed at other Four Seasons and this one is the best. Make sure when you get a reservation that you request a ground floor unit. They have outdopor showers that are great. Completely private surroinded by lava rock. The spa was wonderful. seperate men and womens area with jacuzzi, steam room, sauna, cold plunge and lounges with outdoor showers. a great way to enjoy a nice massage.

Room Tip: Ask for a ground level room. Most of them have an outdoor shower. Very nice.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
You certainly highlighted two of the many wonderful aspects of staying at Four Seasons Resort Hualalai - the outdoor showers and the incredible spa. We are happy to hear that there was not one negative experience during your recent visit with us and we hope you are already making plans to return.

Please let me know anytime I can be of assistance.

Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Cannot say enough positive comments about this resort. The staff was phenomenal! Delicious food in all of the restaurants and room service. Special food requests were not an issue at all. This property deserves 10 diamonds!!!!! Unbelievable location with views that continue to amaze day after day. We didn't want to leave and will definitely return as soon as we can.

Room Tip: If you want privacy and quiet, I would recommend asking for a room near King's Pond. Beautiful...
Rancho Santa Fe, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

The Four Seasons, Hualalai is an extraordinary resort and 5 star in every way. It is one of the top resorts in America. I didn't want to leave. It is a great refresher from business.
I particuly appreciate the golf course at Hualalai. The 17th hole is one of the most beautiful in the world. The spa is teriffic as well. The various massages are both relaxing and refreshing.There are adult pools, family pools, and lap pools . If you want a swim up bar and to share in adult conversation , they have a setting for you. If you want exercise, the lap pool is available as well.

There are several resteraunts on campus. In fact, we intended upon leaving the resort to dine, but never felt compelled to do so...John

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Been to Four Seasons Resort Hualalai at Historic Ka'upulehu? Share your experiences!