“Believe the hype!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Four Seasons Resort Hualalai at Historic Ka'upulehu

Save Saved
You added Four Seasons Resort Hualalai at Historic Ka'upulehu to your Saves list
Four Seasons Resort Hualalai at Historic Ka'upulehu
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   72-100 Ka'upulehu Drive, Kailua-Kona, Island of Hawaii, HI 96740   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
USD 1000 Resort Credit
Ranked #1 of 15 hotels in Kailua-Kona
GreenLeadersGold level
London, United Kingdom
“Believe the hype!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

I just want to thank the four four seasons for the most amazing stay of our holiday!

I had read all of the reviews on tripadvisor and was hoping it was going to be as good as everybody said and it really was. It was even better than I could have hoped.

We stayed at the hotel for the final night of our trip to Hawaii as a treat. We were made to feel extremely special. We were upgraded to an amazing ocean view room based around the adults only pool.

Everything about this hotel was beautiful. It has a great beach, lovely pools, amazing service.
The gym is really good and big!

We ate at Ulu. The chef made me something special as I'm vegetarian and didn't see anything I liked on the menu. We had lunch at the beach grill which was also very good.

We saw a few turtles which was amazing.

I just wish we'd stayed there longer!

I stayed at the four seasons in Maui which was great but I think this place is in a different league.

The only small problem we came across at both Maui and this four seasons was the lack of seating around the adult pools unless you get up really early (8am or earlier) they did offer to put you on a waiting list I'm not too sure what else they could do about this.There was plenty seating on the beach and some of the other pools at this one which was fine so we just sat there.

Apart from a beautiful hotel with beautiful grounds the thing that made our stay special was the service!! Top notch. We felt very special and looked after! We've stayed at some nice hotels in the world and this one defiantely stands out as one of the best. We were really looked after.

We will defiantely be back!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

1,551 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (450)
Beverly Hills, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

My husband and I travelled here with our 9 month old daugher and had an amazing time. From the moment you book the hotel, the arrival, day to day planning and departure the service is top notch. They baby proofed our room, had a crib and pack and play in the room, had a stuffed animal for our daughter and a gift basket with baby bath products, and even embroidered a bib that said "Hualalai Baby Emma." Thoughtful touches throughout the stay such as always saying "Aloha" when any of the hotel staffed passed us, knowing us by name at every meal, cleaning the room around the baby's nap times. Overall we would highly recommend this hotel and plan on coming back.

Room Tip: Loved king's pond. Was quiet and beautiful views, better then the other pools because there were...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

We came here 10 years ago on our Honeymoon and my wife and I made a pact that if we could come back to celebrate ten years later then we would... well fast forward 10 years and three kids later and here we were.. and all I can say is this is still the Best Hotel Ever!!! .. the location is Paradise or at least what I think Paradise looks like.
Ok so where do I begin.. upon arrival our rooms were not ready but the staff took great care of us and gave us a temporary room so we could enjoy the property and also paid for our late lunch which was very nice of them.. we had two connecting rooms with the outside showers as I had requested..you have to request the outside showers.. they are amazing.. the rooms were clean and we had plenty of amenities waiting for us when we go into our rooms.. We had great ocean view rooms by the quiet pool.. such easy access to the Beach restaurants.. just lovely..

We ate at Beach Tree and thought the food was excellent you must try some of their different dishes.. they have many great choice.. we also ate at Ulu which was fantastic as well... and their steak house which used to be the golf club restaurant last time we were here was fantastic as well..
Our kids loved the property.. the pools were great for them.. the beach lagoon .. Kings pond.. and the kids camp is wonderful as they have very cool and interesting things for the kids to do.. and the staff is so attentive and caring.. and that goes for the entire resort.. the staff must be commended.. they are great.. !!!!
Their Tennis facility is excellent we took some lessons and so did our kids.. really a first class operation.. and their Golf course is among the best I've been too as well you must play #17 and #18 .. probably the best two of the most scenic holes in the world..
The irony is on this trip we planned to go to Volcano National Park and show the kids some of natures beauty.. but we could not leave the property.. because we were having the best time.. so think twice about renting a car, because you may not want to leave the property..
Lastly, I would like to commend the food and beverage staff.. from chef Nick who hosted Pallea night.. (which was fantastic by the way!!) to the staff at the Luau.. and the show.. they were excellent.. really and treated you like Royalty.. .I could go on and on but it may put you to sleep.. you just have to come here at least once in your life and see what I'm talking about..
I hope to be back sooner than 10 years..really.. just an amazing amazing place.. !!!

Room Tip: Ask for room with outside shower.. you will love it!!
Istanbul, Turkey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Incredible location, excellent service, wonderful nature, calm and relaxing. If you are staying longer than 3 days, make sure you leave the resort and see the rest of the island including Akaka Falls, Hilo and Volcano.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in kings pawn with natural lagoon.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Wow! We haven't arrived yet but the team has been stellar. We are celebrating our honeymoon/baby moon and Hannah and her associates have made our planning so seamless. I can't wait to get there! We have stayed at several Four Seasons and other luxury properties, but this pre arrival experience is second to none. Keep you posted...

New Albany, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We stayed here July 13th - 20th in room 712 overlooking Kings Pond.

We arrived at the resort around 3pm on Saturday. We rented a car, so I dropped the wife off at the lobby to check in while I went to park the car after the bags were unloaded. Walking back, I was greated by name and served my first drink of the trip. We were quickly taken to our room. Check in time is 3pm, so the room was ready. If you arrive before then, your room may not be ready, so walk around and get to know the resort.

Our room was nice with a large bathroom, walkin closet, king bed and nice seating area (table and two chairs), and a large balcony overlooking kings pond and the ocean. Great sun in the morning to sit and wake up and good shade in the evening. It was a perfect location as it was rather quiet in the early AM and later PM as kings pond opens at 10am and closes around 4pm. Just down the steps, there was an area for a washer and dryer with all the supplies if you needed to use them. This part of the resort is also eco friendly, so you don't have bottled water in the rooms. Housekeeping was great with keeping our pitcher filled with fresh water and ice.

The beach is not the best of beachs, but it serves a purpose. There are pleanty of beach chairs available at all times of the day. Early in the AM there are several turtles that hang around, which are nice to see. We didn't see many people in the water as it is pretty rocky. There are a couple areas that looked good for swimming if you wanted to get in the water.

Pools were great!. There is a kids pool, a quiet pool and an adult pool. Since we were without kids, we kept to the latter two pools. Since we were with a group of people, about 50, we all like to get together and talk while we had a few drinks. We were told to be quite a few times in the quite pool even though we were not being loud. Apparently we were annoying a lady who just wanted to read her book and not hear anyone talking. The adult pool is nice, has a swim up bar, but hardly has any people in it. There are no parties going on at any of the pools and they are all relatively quite, even the "family" pool. So if you think you are going to live it up with thumping music at a pool, this is not the place you want to go.

The food on the resort was great! Just be prepared for resort prices. Mixed drinks were all almost $18 and up. Beer was $8 and up. For a couple, plan on $80 breakfast, $100 lunch, and $150 dinner each day with a drink or two. We ate at Beach Tree, Ulu and Hualalai grill during our visit. I thought all three were great, but my wife thought the dinner at Hualalai grill was the best. At all three places, you can get anyting from fish tacos to sushi to steak.

There are kids at the resort. Most can be found around the family pool. Good pool kid section there with kid sized chairs and hot tub including a sandy pool area for them. Kids are also plentiful at kings pond. At sunset, they also tend to gather around Beach Tree in the grass area. Parents are getting a drink and letting the kids go. All in all, it is not like the place is overrun with kids.

Kings Pond was nice. It is very cold, but you can get your snorkel fix and see a few fish. The water is not crystal clear and it kind of creeped my wife out, but it is what it is. If you have kids, it is a good place for them to see a lot of fish and swim around.

Another thing to note, there is not a lot of nightlife. By 10pm, the resort is pretty much shut down. So, there really isn't anyplace to sit and drink to 1am if that is what you are looking for.

My wife said the spa was great. I know she spent a lot of time over there, so it must have been. We also played tennis. It was rather expensive, but it was an activity we did and we met a few great people there.

I did golf one day. All in, green fee, cart, shoes and clubs with two sleeves of balls was $350. But you can golf as much as you want. One round was plenty for me as I am not a huge golfer. The course was great and very forgiving. Couldn't find an weed anywhere! The views were awsome.

Other than that, no complaints.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Rheba C, Executive Office at Four Seasons Resort Hualalai at Historic Ka'upulehu, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Aloha from Hualalai!

Mahalo for taking the time to share your vacation experiences with all of us. As you discovered, since we do not have a very large beach, we compensate by providing 4 swimming pools, including the beautiful King's Pond snorkeling pond. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed three of our restaurants and that your room was ideal. We are grateful to our guests who give us feedback and suggestions.

We hope you will visit many times in the months and years to come when we will do everything possible to help build more happy memories.

With warmest aloha,

Rheba Crane
Executive Administrative Assistant
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We spent 8 nights in a two bedroom suite with our 5 and 8 year old kids. Even better than the usual Four Seasons service (if you haven't stayed at a FS before - don't! as it will ruin you for other hotel chains). Heaps for kids to do, turtles on beach in front of the room (we counted 8 one day) were a highlight along with the kids fishing in a stocked golf course pond. Can't really fault it, expensive but good.

Forgot to mention we saw whales jumping not that far offshore.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Four Seasons Resort Hualalai at Historic Ka'upulehu? Share your experiences!