“Perfectly relaxing” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Four Seasons Resort Hualalai at Historic Ka'upulehu

Save Saved
You added Four Seasons Resort Hualalai at Historic Ka'upulehu to your Saves list
Four Seasons Resort Hualalai at Historic Ka'upulehu
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   72-100 Ka'upulehu Drive, Kailua-Kona, Island of Hawaii, HI 96740   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
USD 1000 Resort Credit
Ranked #1 of 15 hotels in Kailua-Kona
GreenLeadersGold level
New York, New York, United States
“Perfectly relaxing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

This is our favorite hotel -- great location, awesome pools, and the service is impeccable! The food is very good (if expensive), and the resort offers lots of options for dining and activities. We drove to a few of the other Waikoloa/Kohala area hotels, and none of them seemed to be in the same league. Wish it wasn't such a long flight away!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

1,408 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (391)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Well, once again I find myself in my favorite spot in the world! If you have not been to Kona, you need to come!
The Four Seasons Hualalia continues to captivate me, however the attention to detail is lacking.

We love to come here, as many do, and stay on property and never leave. So they have a captive audience for sure!
The first night I was here, I was not that hungry and just wanted a salad, so I ordered a chicken Ceaser. Mind you, I travel the world and the best Ceaser is by far Boa! It is served table side and is reason for me to sit in 2 hours traffic, and costs with chicken $14.00! The Huala'li costs $26.00 and was unedible! No table side service, no flavor and really expensive!
They seriously need to work on the good options!
The resort is amazing, but I have to go looking for good food elsewhere which is not what we want to do on vaca!

• Stayed July 2013
Chris W, Director of Sales at Four Seasons Resort Hualalai at Historic Ka'upulehu, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Aloha,

Thank you, for sharing your experience and for choosing Four Seasons Resort Hualalai.

You have provided excellent feedback that is being reviewed by our culinary team to make immediate corrections to our Caesar Salad offering.

We hope you will return to give us another chance to wow you with our Food and Beverage.

Mahalo

Chris White
Director of Marketing
long beach, ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Our daughter was married there last month. Confident, calm and collected, Jenna Giles, the wedding coordinator helped us put together a sweet little, yet gorgeous, ceremony and memorably fun-filled and beautiful evening reception - a months worth of planning and coordinating that culminated in a fabulous time for about 80 of our families and friends.
Music, flowers, food, drinks, ceremony site - nothing was less than a warm "Hawaiian perfect" (well, okay, we would have enjoyed a nice breeze at the reception site).

Now that the wedding is over we are looking forward to returning. Ulu, the Beechtree, the beautiful grounds, pools... and the whole staff - all were welcoming and relaxing. A very beautiful experience.
The only thing I will do different next time is get a room in a better location. Room 2010 was a beauty inside and with a decent view - but (and this is my only but) it is to the rear of the Beechtree restaurant and grill. At night, when we went to open the balcony doors so we could hear the ocean, all we could hear was the restaurant venting (it was tucked into the garden between our room and the restaurant). It was only obvious at nights - and once during a day when some smoke and BBQ wafted out !
So - I'll be a little more choosey about the room location - but I'm in.! Best "vacation" and wedding ever!
Thanks so much, Jenna. You and your crews made it all look so easy. You're tops in our book :-)

Room Tip: Our first room had a tree blocking the ocean view. They were happy to move us. Our second room I d...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Stayed here for 9 nights as a stop-off on a round the world trip and have to say I was underwhelmed compared to similar resorts that I've stayed in, in Asia for example. Overall it was particularly crowded in the common areas (beach / pools etc), kids running crazy noisy all over the place, staff a bit frazzled. I felt the resort had quite a corporate, formulaic feel to it, service felt fake/cheesy etc, and it lacked the charm and special touch I've experienced at other tropical resorts.

I arrived at lunch-time and despite the resort having had my arrival details for around a fortnight there was no room ready and I had to wait around three hours. I took lunch in the overcrowded Beach Tree Grill, was lucky to get the last table but then had to wait over an hour for a poor pizza with an undercooked base and flavourless toppings. Lucky I wasn't in a hurry, but the table behind me was and left without eating.

Dining in general was disappointing for a resort of this standard - there are three restaurants and they are all Grills of some description. The aforementioned Beach Tree has an Italian bias but the pasta and pizza were pretty average. Beach Tree is the only one open at lunchtime so it gets rammed and you often can't get a table. Don't understand why this is the only lunchtime dining option in a hotel of this size. The grill at the golf club was a steakhouse but again pretty average by American standards - I got served a mediocre steak with undercooked sides. The Ulu Grill is probably the best of the dining options with a good local sourcing ethos but the menu has thai/chinese/japanese/hawaiian/western influences and none of the dishes seemed to master any particular cuisine (plus the wind got up one night and they had to move everyone inside which led to a bit of a disintegration in service).

One great thing the Four Seasons has in its favour is its location for exploring the island. The airport is only 5-10 minutes away (but you don't hear the planes). The highlights of my trip were things I did outside of the resort and all were pretty easy to reach - Diving with Jack's Diving Locker (25 mins drive), golf at Mauna Kea (30 mins), helicopter tour with Hawaiian Blue (15 mins) and driving Saddle Rd at sunset.

The service at the golf club was good and the course and grounds of the hotel in general were exceptionally well kept. The hotel's golf course is overpriced in my view at $250 when Mauna Kea is a far better course and can be had for $150 after 11am. It was a similar story at the Spa where I just felt they were cutting corners - no choice of inside or outdoors treatment room, no foot bowl at start of treatment, no scent under the face rest, no choice of oils, loud TV in the relax area etc.

Nobody seems to swim in the sea and there are signs warning strongly against it owing to all the rocky lava and strong currents. The beach is very narrow and the on-site watersports crew have pretty much given up offering the diving options that I was expecting from the website, as they say it was pretty much impossible to get in and out of the water with the equipment. The pools are therefore really crowded. I used King's Pond a couple of times (snorkelling pool with tropical fish) which is a nice concept but it was pretty cold and had poor visibility (seemed like a lot of "fish matter" floating around). The adults pool had kids in every time I walked past so I more often used the lap pool at the spa. This is empty most the time as there isn't any staff/service there but this meant that a couple of times sweaty teens would come off the basketball or tennis courts and just jump in without showering or changing which is pretty disgusting.

The rooms on the Ocean have a lovely view and get the sunset in the evening. They are tastefully decorated and the beds are very comfortable. I noticed a lot of noise from neighbouring rooms - sliding doors and toilet flushes etc clearly audible but maybe I just got a bad neighbour. Again compared to other resorts I've stayed in, I would have expected some fresh fruit / large water bottles etc each day but this is another little touch that doesn't happen here.

This was my first time in Hawaii so I've no local benchmark, but for $800-900++ per night it just doesn't stack-up against the international competition for me. It felt like there were some corners cut and that they charge what they do because they can.

Room Tip: Rooms by King's Pond seemed a little quieter with good views of the ocean, and are near the car...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Aloha,

Thank you, for taking the time to share your experience and for choosing Four Seasons Resort Hualalai during your recent trip to Hawaii.

We are deeply sorry to learn that we did not meet your expectations during your stay.

You have provided excellent feedback and we will take it seriously to improve.

Mahalo,

Chris White
Director of Marketing
El Paso, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

I have stayed at so many Four Seasons Hotel and Resorts (20 already and counting), but The Four Seasons Hualalai is the probably the best so far. Service was excellent. The resort was beautiful and breathtaking. There is so much to do and if you don't want to do anything but just relax, and read, it is still the perfect place. Hulu, at the concierge, arranged for us "The Umauma Falls and Zip Line" and "The spectacular Helicopter Ride". It was unbelievable. The food was excellent too. Expensive but worth it!!! The memories me and my son Kyle had at this resort will be treasured forever.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

We got married at the Four Seasons Hualalai on the 4th of July. Brittany Arndt, the wedding coordinator at the hotel was outstanding. She assisted us arranging our wedding there from when we got engaged (February 2012) until we left the island on July 8th. We also would like to acknowledge, Tabitha (Brittany's assistant) for making sure the wedding party was on time and in the right place during the wedding. Heidi, the hotel's florist, did a wonderful job with all the floral arrangements for our wedding ceremony and reception. Thank you, Timothy (the night manager) who checked us in and also sent us strawberries with a chocolate dipping sauce for a wedding gift. We also would like to thank Rachel, the pastry chef, for sending us a chocolate assortment for our wedding. The hotel staff really do go out of their way for the hotel guests. There is a reason Trip Advisor ranked this hotel #1 in the World. We can't wait to return! Mahalo!

• Stayed July 2013
Rheba C, Executive Office at Four Seasons Resort Hualalai at Historic Ka'upulehu, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Greetings from Hualalai, the "Best Place to Get Married"!

I shared your lovely compliments with your Wedding Team, Tabitha, Brittany, Timothy, Heidi, and Rachel, and they sent their very best regards to you! Thank you for letting us know that we helped build a beautiful memory of your wedding day and we look forward to welcoming you back, perhaps for every anniversary!

With warmest aloha,

Rheba Crane
Executive Administrative Assistant
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

We loved everything about this trip and resort. The staff personalized the trip for us and made efforts at every turn to ensure a memorable stay. When we arrived early, our room wasn't ready so the manager treated us to complimentary drinks and appetizers at Beachtree. When we commented about the iced tea and how wonderful it was, we had two free bags of tea in our room the next day with a handwritten note from the waiter. We stayed at a St. Regis on Kauai a few days before arriving at the Four Seasons Hualalai. There is no comparison. I can see why there were repeat visitors here.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the quiet pool or the adults-only pool. Fast access to the pool and Beachtree re...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Four Seasons Resort Hualalai at Historic Ka'upulehu? Share your experiences!