“Simply stunning.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Four Seasons Resort Hualalai at Historic Ka'upulehu

You added Four Seasons Resort Hualalai at Historic Ka'upulehu to your Saves list
Four Seasons Resort Hualalai at Historic Ka'upulehu
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   72-100 Ka'upulehu Drive, Kailua-Kona, Island of Hawaii, HI 96740   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
GreenLeadersGold level
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Simply stunning.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I'll keep this brief to avoid gushing unnecessarily. This is a sensational resort in every respect ... location, service, food/wine, facilities, spa etc. I couldn't help but feel that the staff were always one step ahead of us, as if they knew what we needed before we needed it. Exceptional.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (564)
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

We ended up liking this property so much that we are going to have to visit the Big Island again to see the sites, as we never made it off property. The Four Seasons Hulalili was a fitting end to a two week Haiwaiian trip including 5 days at the Trump in Waikiki, 5 days at the Four Seasons in Maui and 3 days at this property. We wish we would have had more. This place is the perfect spot to relax and get away from it all - enjoy the amazing workout facility, numerous pools, golf and activities galore. For two consectutive afternoons we had an entire area of the beach to ourselves. We all got a kick outbof snorkeling in the King's pond, which our room overlooks. I would definitely request an upper level room surrounding this pond as it is super quiet because it is only open for swimming between 10AM and 4PM each day to reduce stress on the fish and ray who live in the pond. Private cabanas and Restaurants are good, as is service, especially frim beach side attendants. I'd give this place a 5 if housekeeping was a little more consistent - tonight's turn down service showed up at 9PM and service varied considerably the previous two nights -and the folks working at the Trading Post could find it within themselves to be friendly to to resort guests, instead of just residents. They were rude to me and to my sons on two separate occasions.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Orange, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

This was a surprise 40th birthday trip for my husband. Now I'm bummed cause I don't know how I will top it in the future!

As a former wedding planner, I research everything to the nth degree. This resort was no different. Definitely use a travel agent to book as you will get breakfast included with your stay.

This was our first time to the Big Island and, as usual, I wanted to pack it full of activities. DON'T. MAYBE plan 1 or 2 off resort activities (we were there 4 full days)....you will regret if you plan more. There is so much to do (and not do) at this amazing property.

The resort itself is beautiful! Everything was top notch phenomenal: pools, pool service, restaurants (I want to dine at Beach Tree every night of my life!), room service, check in, check out, concierge (I emailed them a million times before we arrived), housekeeping, etc, etc, etc.

Oh! The beds were pretty soft and by night 4 my husband was in bad shape. Housekeeping offered to change out the MATTRESS! I'm telling you, service is 10 out of 10.

Make dinner reservations before your arrive or upon arrival, as it fills up quickly. If you are a couple, request your room around the adult pool. Wake up early to take advantage of snorkeling around the property - prime time is 8am.

Apparently the resort was full while we were there, but we didn't feel it at all. We went toward the end of whale season and got a Sea World type show from our pool chairs - whales breaching left and right - MAGICAL!

Room Tip: Couples should request a room around the adult pool.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
London, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We decided to elope shortly after getting engaged and discovered the Four Seasons Hualalai through hours of internet research. The grounds were so beautiful and we were able to get married right on the beach. They took care of organizing all of the wedding details. Even though it was just my husband and I, they treated us as though we having a big wedding and spending much more money than we did for just the two of us. The wedding day exceeded any expectations I had and our trip all around was incredible. From arrival to departure, they never missed a step and made sure every need we had was met. The restaurants, pools, and other amenities were exceptional. My husband and I are a very adventurous couple and tend to be very active on vacations, but here, we never wanted to leave the resort! I would not hesitate to recommend this resort for your wedding, special event, or vacation with your spouse or family.

Room Tip: Our room was located at Kings Pond and it was nice and quiet. We loved only having to walk a few me...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Pacific Palisades, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Let me start by saying I had heard so many great things about this hotel, and having stayed in many Four Seasons, my expectations were high. So, when they told me they upgraded my "ocean view" room that I had booked I was excited, but when we go to the room that was on the back side of the children's pool ( and my kids are teenagers) I was not that excited. Additionally, I had a sliver of an ocean view. I went by the desk and was told that there were "ocean views", Prime ocean views (which was what I was upgraded to), oceanfront and deluxe ocean front. For what I was paying, I was not happy with the view or location because the kids were up at 6 am. We did not get turndown service until almost 9:30 both nights we were there, and did not get our room cleaned until we called at 3:45. This was not what we expected at any hotel, much less the Four Seasons. Finally, we had dinner and had to ask for our check twice and the service was terrible. It did not seem like the kitchen or staff was prepared. That being said, the pool service was exceptional and the staff were all very nice. The grounds are wonderful and with small children, it would be great.

Room Tip: If you have small children you want to be by the Seashell Crescent. If you want quiet, any of the o...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

I'll keep this short! Book this hotel NOW! It's pure magic! The only drawback is that you might not want to leave the grounds to see any other parts of the island! There's a reason why this place was voted #1 in the world by Trip Advisor in 2013!
Mahalo to the entire Four Seasons Hualalai staff for making us feel like royalty!

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

We recently completed a stay at the Four Seasons Resort Hualalai for our honeymoon and it was nothing short of incredible. The moment we landed, a representative of the hotel greeted us and this high level of impeccable service continued throughout the trip. The resort is situated on gorgeous beach front property, and as a result each of the pools and restaurants have fantastic water front views. Regarding the food, we particularly enjoyed the Beach Tree restaurant, which offered outstanding food and ambiance, and also had a great experience at 'Ulu. The spa and exercise facilities were top notch, quite extensive, and well maintained. One particularly unique feature of the property we enjoyed was King's pond, which is an on-site salt water pond containing a wide variety of fish. Snorkeling equipment is available free of charge, and we were amazed by the diversity and beauty of the fish.

We highly recommend this property and guarantee that it will not disappoint!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Four Seasons Resort Hualalai at Historic Ka'upulehu? Share your experiences!