“Excellent Attention to Detail” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Four Seasons Resort Hualalai at Historic Ka'upulehu

Save Saved
You added Four Seasons Resort Hualalai at Historic Ka'upulehu to your Saves list
Four Seasons Resort Hualalai at Historic Ka'upulehu
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   72-100 Ka'upulehu Drive, Kailua-Kona, Island of Hawaii, HI 96740   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
USD 1000 Resort Credit
Ranked #1 of 15 hotels in Kailua-Kona
GreenLeadersGold level
Chicago, Illinois
“Excellent Attention to Detail”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2011

This is a premier venue. The grounds are unique and a great representation of the area, from picturesque fresh-water and salt-water ponds, to wonderful-smelling trees and bushes, to golf-course-green-style grass around the pool and beach areas (making walking to the room with sandy or wet feet that much easier), to turtle-resting locales on the beach, to even a small pool with a sand bottom for youngsters to have a safe beach experience, complete with sand-castle-building toys.

Standing out the most, though, are the people working here. As part of an excursion plan, I made a joke about my wife getting sea-sick. Just a brief statement in the midst of many while making our plans. When the concierge delievered our itinerary, it had a small bottle of dramamine as well as some ginger candies that are supposed to help with sea or air-sickness. When my wife mentioned we tend to have an eating "sprint" when we share dessert, our shared dessert was divided onto separate plates.

The rooms were spacious cottages, complete with an indoor and outdoor shower. The food was very good, particularly the breakfast buffet. This is important, because it takes a bit of a drive to get to any other restaurants in the area. Of course, the prices are high, but I would actually say they were a good value (beware, my one exception: a standard tanquaray martini was $21 . . . be careful what you order in the alcohol department). The food dishes were creative and well-prepared. The poke appetizer is known as the best on the island.

For us, having a car was a must, as we tend to engage in a lot of activities wherever we go. They had on-site parking for free (there is also a valet option). I'm not a golfer, but the course here is world-class (they had the PGA tour here). It is in great shape, and wonderful to walk around at dusk.

The sunset views are fantastic, and the ambience is very, very relaxing . . . and very romantic.

I've stayed at a number of "#1" hotels (rated by various magazines or sites) throughout the world, and I'd have to say this ranked in my top 2 (tied with Singita in South Africa).
As an aside, for the potential honey-mooner (of which there were many here): there's a great shore-break beach for boogie boarding (or body surfing) just up the highway from here: we bought boards at the Kona Walmart and had a great time.

This is an expensive venue but well worth it.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

1,512 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (436)
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2011

This is a worldclass resort. Mean to relax and enjoy the peace and quiet. Service is excellent and surroundings are relaxing. The rooms are very well appointed. The event I attended there was absolute perfection. The salt water swimming pool with the fish is a one of a kind experience. The site is also somewhat a a bird sanctuary as well. See the endangered Nene geese and Hawaiian Stilt!

Room Tip: Ask for 1st floor room to get the outdoor shower.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

The perfect combination of activity and relaxation. Fantastic food, excellent service, all the amenities you could ask for .

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

This place is amazing. The staff greet you with a drink, fruit and a lei. From there, every single aspect of the service, food and amenities were spectacular. There is a "menu" for the type of pillow and bed you want. There is a menu of types of baths if you want aromatherapy etc. If you ask for anything the staff will make it happen. Lying by the pool in a shaded cabana is also a service experience. You can get any type of food you may desire, even if it isn't on the menu. The staff come by hourly to clean your sunglasses, spray your face with a cool Evian spray, bring aloe vera, a sample of a fruit smoothie, a cold cucumber scented towel, fresh water etc etc. There are bottles of free sunscreen 15 and 30 as well as leave in conditioner available for use by the pools. The public bathrooms on property have anything you may need as a woman. The bathrooms in the rooms have very high quality L'Occitane shampoo, conditioner, body wash, lotion and after sun lotion. They provide a straw beach bag and nice light bathrobes. The shower was very high quality with excellent water pressure.

There are multiple pools. My favorite was an ocean water pool that was made by a natural reef. I swam with fish and turtles in this pool. There are turtles everywhere in the ocean. They are so graceful and cute. I loved the turtles.

For those that prefer regular swimming pools, there is also a large endless pool with a hot tub overlooking the ocean, an adults only pool and a fitness lap pool in the gym. The gym has daily classes of spinning, yoga and usually some type of class like "butts and guts."

The snorkeling on property was spectacular. There was an activity center not affiliated with the hotel that had scooters that you can sit on to snorkel. The scooter allows you speed to travel around with a guide and allows you to dive under water to get a better look and to get back up with just a single breath. It is a must do event. So much fun! There are stand up paddle boards for rent, boats, outriggers etc. The surfing on property would be great except that the waves break on the reef. The staff said if the waves are big enough that you can paddle out further so the waves are not breaking on the reef. If you surf and are used to beach breaks, the reef is a little concerning.

The room was not that big but overlooked the ocean and at night we slept with the sliding doors open and the screen doors closed with very cool ocean breezes and just the sound of the ocean. The property was completely full but was still quiet.

I LOVED THE EXPERIENCE. I am not sure any hotel could compare to this service in the future. I enjoy good luxury hotels but this was miles better than any hotel I have ever been in including the Ritz.

The food was beautiful, perfect, healthy and delicious. Of course, it was a little pricey as breakfast for two (the hot and buffet without alcohol) was about 80 with tip. Dinner for two was about 170 for fish rice veggies fruit and a glass of wine each with tip. However, the food was perfectly prepared. There is room service 24 hours a day as well. I hear that if you book directly with the hotel that sometimes there are specials including breakfast included. That would be a great savings. I booked through American Express travel which gave one night free for every 5 nights that we stayed there.

The only minor complaint that I can think of is the bed. The bed was fine but a little soft at the edges. I could have asked for a feather bed top or I am sure that they would have brought a new bed but it was perfectly acceptable, just not great.I slept just fine with the sound of the waves and the ocean breeze so I never bothered mentioning anything to the staff there to improve my bed quality.

I would definitely return here. It was a wow experience.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

We just returned from a trip to the Four Seasons for my brothers wedding. We took our two kids (2yrs & 6 months) along with us and they could not do enough to make us feel welcome and at home. They even had little bibs with the boy names embroidered on them in their cots. There were not that many children around so the kiddies pool was surprisingly empty but there were more than enough toys for a whole heap of children.

The food was lovely and actually reasonably priced for a 5 star hotel. My husband played golf which did cost a bit but that's what you would expect and said it was a great course. We called on our last day to see if we could get a late check out so the boys could sleep before we headed off and it was no problem at all. Didn't leave until 3pm. There was not one employee who didn't seem happy to be there and very helpful.

The only thing I can think of to complain about is the bed was quite soft and after 4 nights sleeping in it there was definitely a 'mould' of where I had been sleeping.

We did the snorkelling tour and had amazing luck that a large pod of about 200 dolphins happened to be going by and we swam with them for 2 hours. The fish in the 'snorkelling' pool at the hotel were amazing if you don't want to venture out.

Highly recommend if you are looking for a relaxing holiday and like being well looked after.

Room Tip: We had a great room for us with kids as we were on the ground floor and you could open the doors to...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Montréal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

For anyone seeking the wow factor for a resort and most sublime experience in luxury, this is it! Four Seasons has again exceeded my expectation. Outstanding location, service and confort.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Studio City, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

We have stayed at some of the top resorts in the world including Post Ranch, San Ysidro, Plaza Athenee, Villa de Este etc. but have never stayed at a resort that was so perfect in every way. If you are in need of a elegant but understated place to land where you need to relax this is it. I have never experienced such personal service...the staff is there to make your stay perfect. The manager Robert Whitfield was amazing. Among other things he actually took the time to draw us a map and have it delivered to us for an excursion one day. We felt like we were his personal guest. I also want to mention William Panaretos the Asst. Director of food and Beverage that also did everything in his power to make our visit such a memorable one. The spa is amazing too!
The rooms are extremely comfortable and elegant ...the food excellent with many choices. The toughest decision we had every day was to if we wanted to lay by the pool or on the beach in their custom covered lounges for two.( There is a childs pool as well as an adult one which is a huge plus for us).
The Hualalai is pricey but well worth every penny. Robert Whitfield is a gemand has made this resort our absolute favorite and we cannot wait to go back!
Patrice Berlin

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Four Seasons Resort Hualalai at Historic Ka'upulehu? Share your experiences!