“Majestic Manta Ray Dive” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #35 of 204 Activities in Kailua-Kona
Type: Water sports, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Unless otherwise specified all tours meet by the boat ramp on the north side of Honokohau Harbor.
Victoria,BC Canada
“Majestic Manta Ray Dive”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

We heard about it, we DID IT!! The whole trip was excellant right from the start. Lisa was there early, got set up and was very welcoming.Very helpful with technology and the boat is a great size for small, intimate groups. We had scuba and snorkel people on board and all were treated special. Ray the dive master of our trip gave the scuba people perfect guidance and was so professional in his time with us, on the water & off. Lisa has a great friendly persona and just the right knowledge base to help us enjoy every minute of the trip. The gear was top notch and the boat well set up.If you want a special memory then this company will make it come true.
Strike one off our "bucket list" Yahoo!!

Portland, Oregon
“Can't Wait to do it Again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

My wife and I spent yesterday afternoon with two of our friends on a Scuba/snorkel cruise with Lisa and Ray and it could not have been a better experience. Our friends are Scuba certified so they spent most off the time at the bottom of the ocean while my wife and I stayed near the surface and snorkeled the entire time. I can't speak of the Scuba experience other than to say that our friends are ranting and raving about what a great time it was, and they have the pictures to prove it. Lisa led them on their first official dive and took pictures the entire time, and by the time we all woke up this morning sher had already emailed over some of the photos (which is very impressive considering the trip ended after 9pm last night and we know that Lisa and Ray had to stay at the marina for at least another hour to pull the boat out of the water and clean all of the gear). Speaking of the gear - Lisa had everything we could have needed. We brought our own masks and fins, but the fins we brought for my wife turned out to be too big so Lisa set her up with a pair that fit perfectly. She also provided each of us with a high-powered underwater flashlight for the night dive into Manta Ray Heaven. Ultimately, I was most impressed by the fact that she had wetsuits to fit everyone in our group, including a portly fellow such as myself.

While our friends took off with Lisa for their first daytime scuba-dive my wife stayed on the boat to catch some sun and enjoy a light lunch while I enjoyed snorkeling. They let me dive right off the side of the boat as much as I wanted, and didn't force me to stay right near the boat as I snorkeled around the bay. It was much less confining than it seemed to be for the other boats in the area that had anywhere from 10 to 30 passengers, and the fact that there were only 6 of us on the boat meant it was a very personal experience, which we all appreciated.

If I had the time I could write about the nighttime snorkel in Manta Ray Heaven for another couple hours, but I'll keep it short and say this - it is an experience that nobody should miss. I really felt like I was watching a movie the entire time because the Manta Rays were huge and plentiful, and the colors provided by the underwater lights were breathtaking. I can't wait to recommend this trip to all of my friends and family as it can be enjoyed by people of any age. And the next time I find myself on the Big Island you can bet that I will be doing this again!

Portland
“Fabulous experience & adventure with Honu Sports!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

We went out with Lisa and Ray yesterday for the Manta Ray night dive/snorkeling and what an amazing adventure! There were four of us (six total on the boat), two divers and two snorkelers, and we all had an incredible experience... Lisa and Ray have decades of boat and diving expertise and it was apparent on our trek out to Manta Ray Heaven (where we would be snorkeling); the ocean was very choppy that day and Lisa navigated us there with great skill - I felt very safe in the less-than-ideal weather conditions. Once we arrived, Lisa spared no details in introducing the two first-time divers to how it would work with her under the water, answering any questions they had - she even took really great underwater photos of them and emailed them out the very next day! Before our night snorkel, Lisa let us know exactly what to expect and my husband and I were able to navigate our way through the massive groups of snorkelers to find the best spots and experience the larger-than-life Manta Rays up close and personally... I would recommend the intimate & personal experience with Honu Sports to anyone who is visiting the Big Island and looking for a fabulous adventure!

arizona
4 attraction reviews
“Scuba/Snorkel with Honu on the Big Island!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

Wow! We literally just got home from an amazing experience with Lisa and Ray. We were a party of 4 with 2 scuba divers and 2 snorklers and we could not have asked for a better experience. On our day dive, Lisa gave an amazing guided underwater tour, pointing out all of the underwater life from manta rays to eels. She went above and beyond by making sure to capture photos of us and the wildlife from our dive (and she even promised to email them to us)! Ray guided us on the manta ray night dive and it was fabulous. He made sure we were well positioned and had the light shining bright so that we had plenty of up close and personal experiences with the manta ray. It was truly one of the most amazing experiences I've had and couldn't thank Lisa and Ray enough for making it happen for us. Our friends who were snorkeling had a great time as well - Lisa and Ray made sure they had everything they needed - from wet suits, to noodles to great gear. If you're looking for a great place to snorkel or scuba - this is it.

Los Angeles, California, United States
“Diving Fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

We had fun diving with Lisa and Mike in Kona. Their equipment is really nice (compared to other rentals). The boat we were on was small and we had a very personal experience - as we were only 6 people total. We did a two tank morning dive and checked out the local coral reef. Lisa and Mike took a few pictures while we were under water and they emailed them to us afterwards - which was a nice surprise. Definitely recommend diving with them, when you are in Kona!